Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Disrespectful Atheists Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:34 pm
Simple interjection into argument:
Taking personal offense over the definition of a word is dumb.

Rational proposal:
Atheism may be classified as a religion in the eyes of all who view "shaved" and "bald" as hairstyles.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:18 am
User ImageI don't see any of those examples as being disrespectful. Having pride and believing in you philosophies are a right of the free. To call stating that you believe Atheism to be the truth disrespectful would be to call anyone who asserts their beliefs as being justified as the same!

User Image
It's kind of like saying "You can't root for your team because it's disrespectful to the other team." Which just sounds overly sensitive.

If those banners said "Religion is stupid, don't be an idiot, Atheists rule and Theists drool." Then I would agree. Name calling and insulting either directly or indirectly is low brow. Even the "weak/strong" banner you mentioned isn't stating that anyone specifically is weak, but that they feel strong and not weak from the fact they don't need religion as a moral center of their lives.

User ImageI suppose "disrespectful" may just be one of those words where "something is only disrespectful if someone feels disrespected." But if everyone everywhere removed anything that disrespected anyone in anyway, there would be nothing. Absolutely nothing. I guess it's just a matter of how sensitive you are.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 am
I like the signature/banner but...

Quote:
"There is no God," The fool says it to his heart. The wise man says it to the world.

This I wouldn't exactly call arrogant... but I can see how it would be antagonizing. So what you're saying is if someone decided to ask me about my beliefs and I said that "I don't believe in God" I would be arrogant? Not quite. You are basing your judgment over this as the passersby receiver and not the sender. As the receiver you can't exactly KNOW why they have that up. I have really said this before but if someone put "There is a God" in THEIR signature or wherever, it's fine no big deal. But it's biased to say that the opposite opinion is repulsive. Just like if someone had "I <3 666" on their profile it's just expressing themselves, it isn't necessarily meant to harm anyone. If someone were to flame over it, they would just be getting angry over someone not agreeing with them. And that's one of the major problems we have in society today is that when people don't agree it turns into a complete feud.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:29 am
I have seen some atheists online that seem like they're very disrespectful (and by "very", I mean VERY). I mean... atheists are people too, and with any group of people there are always nice people and mean people. The atheists I know in real life, however, are actually really nice o_O
I'd say they're all nicer than me and I think I'm alright Lol.
I don't shove atheism down anyone's throat, and I have a lot of Christian friends... one of them (who is actually a good friend of mine) tried really hard to convert me back to Christianity but failed... and we just got into reasonable discussions. No insults or anything. I don't think anything's wrong with atheists being more public about it though... There's nothing wrong with presenting your opinion more publicly.. I'm just not that type of person; I will, however, respond if someone questions me personally or puts me down.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Raticiel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:46 pm
D i v i n i t y
I have seen some atheists online that seem like they're very disrespectful (and by "very", I mean VERY). I mean... atheists are people too, and with any group of people there are always nice people and mean people. The atheists I know in real life, however, are actually really nice o_O
I'd say they're all nicer than me and I think I'm alright Lol.
I don't shove atheism down anyone's throat, and I have a lot of Christian friends... one of them (who is actually a good friend of mine) tried really hard to convert me back to Christianity but failed... and we just got into reasonable discussions. No insults or anything. I don't think anything's wrong with atheists being more public about it though... There's nothing wrong with presenting your opinion more publicly.. I'm just not that type of person; I will, however, respond if someone questions me personally or puts me down.

I'd sign under this 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:12 am
User Image

Dude.
The CHRISTIANS call themselves "lost sheeps" and "sinners".
Not us. Atheists don't believe in the whole "oh we are born
sinners" thing. THEY are the ones calling themselves that.
So why would it be disrespectful if we called them what they
called themselves?

For the second quote, I think the gist of its meaning is to
declare one's position, to make it be known to the world that
he is an atheist, rather than that he is shouting it and trying
to make everyone else follow with him. There's nothing wrong
with an atheist saying "there is no god" to the world; there
IS something wrong if people disagreed with him and still he
insisted his way and forced others to agree with him. Declaring
one's belief isn't wrong; forcing it on the others is.

As for disrespectful atheists... well, what can you do about it?
Respectful people will always be there and so will
the disrespectful ones. Sure, they cross the line.
Sure, they may just be as bad as the christians
who shove their stuff down our throats. But hey,
what are you going to do about it?
You can say they give us a bad name, blah blah blah,
but it's not going to stop them. And this goes the same
for the other side as well.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff