Books you hated. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When I read a book I hate...
  ...I don't finish it.
  ...I finish it.
  ...I finish it and rant for days about how much time I wasted on that POS.
View Results

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:00 pm
Volatile Rainbow
The Pearl by John Steinbeck
ME TOO but hated Red Pony worse. I am not really a Steinbeck fan.

But I DO like Giver. A Lot.

Renette
Fear Richy if u dare
One question. Why do you hate Eragon?

Ooh, I'll take this one! It's one of my most hated books as well, along with Cell by Stephen King.

Paolini made his success by publishing his book first with his parent's company (who obviously didn't think of editing the book), then passing it on to a higher publisher. The very fact that he wrote it when he was 15 is beside the point (which, they touted that SO often). He's 22 now - he should ahve gone back and edited out MANY parts for grammar, structure, and general nonsensity.

Let's not even include the fact that it's a ripoff of several other major franchises - it's Dragonriders of Pern and Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars. One of the things that I hate the most in the book - at the very beginning there's a complaint of a lack of money to purchase food. Yet, when they went to the market, his uncle gave him money. There are several other points, but.. yeah, I haven't read the book since the first time and I have no plans to go back and re-read it.

And my rant on Cell by Stephen King - yeah, it's RIGHT HERE, in my journal.
DITTO on Eragon, though it's my little brother's fave. I don't HATE it... I finished it, and I usually don't finish anything I am not devoted to, but for my bro... but I think it is WAY overrated, and won't bother with sequels.

irock708
Volatile Rainbow
You know, I don't think I've ever outgrown a book. Stuff I loved when I was twelve, I still love at twenty. heart

Yep, same here.

I remember I was completely obsessed with A Series of Unfortunate Events in my middle school years. I've finished the series a long time ago and I enjoy it very much. It's still one of my favorites to this day because I just think it's oh-so clever <3

And I still like Artemis Fowl, despite all the, what I think are, unnecessary sequels. 8D
I HAVE "grown out of" a few books, but not many. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Snicket. And I am 29. hee hee!
soccerstars10
Merenwen99
Collote
Oh, and I really like Series of Unfortunate Events, but I don't like the last book. It's like Snicket got bored, so he decided to kill off just about all of his characters. ._.

Not to mention the end of The End . . . I was thoroughly disappointed . . . but I still love the series smile

very dissapointing.. sad ... still like the series though
so i agree with u

and a book i didnt like.. hmmm. i guess i'll say the lord of the flies..
it was just very hard for me to get into that book.. and it was sooo boring in the beggining!! gonk
AND the whole thing was simultaneously creepy AND didactic!!! HOW is that even possible? Yeah, hated most of that one, though I did finish it. One I never could get past the first few pages was Moby d**k. UGH.

Others I hate are anything by Peter S. Beagle (OTHER than Last Unicorn which I love and, incidentally, he said in many interviews HE hated and wishes he never wrote.), the majority of long series books ala Babysitters' Club, etc that start the SAME DANG WAY EVERY TIME, and The Great Gatsby. Though I admit I might reread outside of school someday and see if reading it UN-dissected changes my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 am
When every I read a book I really hate, I try my best to forget them, and normally succeed. When I was nine I found a romance novel, not knowing what it was, besides only barley being able to be called a romance novel (glad of that) it was one of the worst books I have ever read. no idea why it didn't acure to me I could stop reading.  

Wendy Day

Distrustful Detective

6,175 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 pm
My two least favorite books of all time are supposedly "classics", and books that everyone loves.

Even so, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini both make me want to stab my eyes out with sporks.

I didn't even finish "Pride and Prejudice", even though I had to write a report on it for my lit class. I just stopped reading it 3/4 of the way through, reasoning that I had endured enough torture for a lifetime through that book. I still got a B on the essay, as I recall, and that's fine with me.

But the single worst book of all time that I ever read was "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. I thought it would be a good piece of dystopian fiction, but I was wrong. It was horrible. Unspeakably horrible.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:55 pm
I haven't read "The Kite Runner", but "Pride and Prejudice" Is a good bok, it just takes time to sift through. I found it really hard to read, I spent twice as long rereading it to understand. Although with literature books its like that sometimes. You really have to dig deep to find the jewels.  

Rudhe

Medic_Streak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 am
irock708
Anything by Beverly Cleary biggrin

And most supposedly "realistic" fiction involving teenagers and high school. Which are completely untrue and unrealistic.

Teenager stories are always trying portray something real but its dramatized a lot, which annoys me. I rarely read a realistic book. As for Beverly Cleary, she never struck my fancy..at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:31 am
Renette
Fear Richy if u dare
One question. Why do you hate Eragon?

Ooh, I'll take this one! It's one of my most hated books as well, along with Cell by Stephen King.

Paolini made his success by publishing his book first with his parent's company (who obviously didn't think of editing the book), then passing it on to a higher publisher. The very fact that he wrote it when he was 15 is beside the point (which, they touted that SO often). He's 22 now - he should ahve gone back and edited out MANY parts for grammar, structure, and general nonsensity.

Let's not even include the fact that it's a ripoff of several other major franchises - it's Dragonriders of Pern and Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars. One of the things that I hate the most in the book - at the very beginning there's a complaint of a lack of money to purchase food. Yet, when they went to the market, his uncle gave him money. There are several other points, but.. yeah, I haven't read the book since the first time and I have no plans to go back and re-read it.

And my rant on Cell by Stephen King - yeah, it's RIGHT HERE, in my journal.

Stephen King just seems to pull alot of nonsense of of his butt and put it on paper. The Cell made me sick, but i must give him credit for being able to write so much, but to stick to the point of the post, yeah the Cell sucked. Eragon was an okay book, nothing special in my eye.  

Medic_Streak

Medic_Streak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 am
irock708
Volatile Rainbow
You know, I don't think I've ever outgrown a book. Stuff I loved when I was twelve, I still love at twenty. heart

Yep, same here.

I remember I was completely obsessed with A Series of Unfortunate Events in my middle school years. I've finished the series a long time ago and I enjoy it very much. It's still one of my favorites to this day because I just think it's oh-so clever <3

And I still like Artemis Fowl, despite all the, what I think are, unnecessary sequels. 8D

Yeah I see what you mean there, just touches your soul differently when your young and it effects you the same way forever. For me is Dr. Suess, sounds like rubbish sometimes but it has good morals and lessons. Makes it nice for the kids.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:16 am
streak_donyville
irock708
Anything by Beverly Cleary biggrin

And most supposedly "realistic" fiction involving teenagers and high school. Which are completely untrue and unrealistic.

Teenager stories are always trying portray something real but its dramatized a lot, which annoys me. I rarely read a realistic book. As for Beverly Cleary, she never struck my fancy..at all.

But that's not just it, though. Most of these teenager stories about the kid being singled out or the popular kid... they're usually written by an adult who's, like, a generation behind. The adult doesn't know how teenagers are at the current time, only their time. It's soo inaccurate. D:

I hate the Ramona books. Terribly. And I hate her teenage romance books. Ughughugh. The one book that I actually LIKED/ENJOYED by her is Dear Mr. Henshaw. That one I actually thought was totally worth my time.  

irock708

Spirit_of_Midnight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am
Volatile Rainbow
Ooh, I thought of another one:
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. scream

Ugh! I totally agree!!! Ponyboy? I mean, come on!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am
irock708
POTC4ever

To Kill a Mocking Bird

O_O

OK, so when you explain why you hate that book, you'd better have a good reason besides "Oh, I had to read it for school" because that is a DUMB reason to hate a book.

But anyways...
You were saying you hated TKAM because...?

No, I was reading it on my own time. It was very dry for me. And I lost it...and it was a library book T crying T. I had to pay $15 for a new one even though it orginally cost $5...T crying T  

Spirit_of_Midnight

ishballan-girl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:47 pm
I don't finish them cause I don't care.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:49 am
Well, I liked The Giver, but I'm totally with you on hating Eragon. I'm going to finish reading the series, but I'm going to hate every minute of it. I've never read so much purple prose in my life. The only reason I'll finish reading them is so that if I ever meet Christopher Paolini I'll be able to tell him in depth why I hate his book so much.  

themadwriter

7,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

irock708

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:24 am
POTC4ever
irock708
POTC4ever

To Kill a Mocking Bird

O_O

OK, so when you explain why you hate that book, you'd better have a good reason besides "Oh, I had to read it for school" because that is a DUMB reason to hate a book.

But anyways...
You were saying you hated TKAM because...?

No, I was reading it on my own time. It was very dry for me. And I lost it...and it was a library book T crying T. I had to pay $15 for a new one even though it orginally cost $5...T crying T

What was dry about it? And that sucks that you had to pay for it, but it's not really the book's fault that you had to pay for it.. Lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:04 am
I thought Eragon was pretty ridiculously bad. Bad enough where my entire family makes fun of it, and I try to warn people away from reading it...

But the books I hated the most (and rant way too much about) were the Dragonlance War of Souls series. I'd read all the previous books and was crazy about them at the time, and loved the characters so much I did fanart and had a Dragonlance reference in my username for everything and blah blah blah... so I decided to get the next series of three books. Bad idea, obviously. The authors must've just given up or something... they were basically 1500 pages of depressing things happening, during which every single one of the characters I liked got killed. And the ending? The happy part is that everyone's together in the afterlife. They're all dead together. It made me want to hit my head against a wall until I couldn't remember what I read.

Thanks to them, I pretty much don't read traditional fantasy books anymore. *sigh*  

Azaraih

Sqweebers

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:07 am
Lily's Crossing by I can't remember
I can't even get rid of the book that is how bad it is
and any romance books, they just remind me of how I'll be alone ('cept for my books *twitches*)  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff