TreyFoster

900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:27 am
FillerBunny093
Some history before I ask:
I was goth when I moved in with my overly religious grandmother. Eventually her ways got to me and I started going to church. Sadly, I don't speak Spanish so the church's message didn't get across. I stopped going, went on with life, graduated high school, went to work and met my future husband. He's goth/punk and not fond of following rules. Now I am pregnant, 1st child, and I want to change my ways/lifestyle to give her a better life. He disagrees with everything now and says it's my fault if we drift.

Now then..what does the bible say about:
Sleeping in the same bed before marriage
Sex before marriage
Seeing each other naked before marriage
Cursing
Music
Loving thy neighbor

I know it's a lot but it's what's giving me the most problems. I say what I know and I don't have the verses to back it up so arguments arise... crying please help. Thank you.

Dearest sister, Greetings to you from our Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you for sharing your questions about sex before marriage etc. I personally believe that God wants the best for our future and wants a mate for us that also loves Him as much (if not more) as I do. I think above all else what keeps a solid relationship together for 50+ years is common spirituality; 'a family that prays together, stays together'

The man that will be your husband and father to your child should be a spiritual umbrella of protection over your household. The most important question is: Is he saved??? The other questions are not as important, cuz when if he is truely saved, he will bear fruits of the Spirit, and cursing, lying, cheating, etc will be undesireable.

I ask that you PRAY and seek the Lord if this man is that person our heavenly Father wants you to be with even tho he is unequally yoked. I encourage you to find a good Bible teaching church and continue to grow in Him and fellowship with other chiristian brothers and sisters.

I will be praying for you and your baby heart please continue getting into God's Word for your edification and that of your child.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 am
heart_of_a_fighter
Alright, I've been wondering about this for a while, so could I please get some insight from fellow Christians?
In the Old Testament, God says "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
And in the New Testament, Jesus says to not abide by that, saying that "if one man takes your cloak, give him also your tunic."
They might not be the exact words, but which one do you listen to? The one in the Old Testament or the one in the New Testament? This has been confusing me for a while.
Thanks for reading.
"...the following scripture illustrates the morality of being forced to kill a thief who is in the process of robbing you and possibly even threatening your life:

Exodus 22:1-2
1 If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.

2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. (KJV)"

"The Bible clearly demonstrates the truth that a hierarchy of Divine moral values exist which should govern all of our moral decisions in life.

Thus, no moral principle is completely autonomous to itself. That is why God is a God of love and mercy, but also a God of justice and judgment. In such instances, then, complexity, not contradiction, is the dynamic involved."

Source: http://www.frankcaw.com/Moral-Principles-Conflict.html

Good site. I enjoy it as well as www.gotquestions.org an entirely biblically based question site.  

Reverend MacManus

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:30 pm
Thanks, Herr Wulf! 3nodding
And then another question for everyone...alright, it's about the seven archangels. Are they only in the Catholic religion? Or could it be for any Christian? And I was also wondering, is it 'wrong' to pray to the archangels rather then God and Jesus? i know this is kind of an odd question but thanks for reading everyone!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:18 pm
What can you tell me about fighting? I know Jesus chased out the sellers in the temple. So that would say that it is okay to cleanse a holy place of such things as trading, and the wars Joshua had, but that is all I can remember of what "fighting" happened. I may need to read the Bible more but can anyone help me understand when it is mostly right to fight? Right now I believe it is okay as long as you are protecting the weak or yourself or your loved ones, if this is wrong could anyone clear this up? Also with the unholy music, I don't listen to Christian music too much anymore. I got tired of the happiness... I think everything is too happy and joyous.... Maybe I am on the wrong mind-set, but I wanted to hear less happy things and the bad things that can happen. More or less, remind myself of the bad things that happen. Maybe it is just a stage or I had listened to Christian music too long(perhaps because I am still a young seed) any advise on music that would help me?  

Monkeynathan

sieragift

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm
Herr Wulf
heart_of_a_fighter
Alright, I've been wondering about this for a while, so could I please get some insight from fellow Christians?
In the Old Testament, God says "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
And in the New Testament, Jesus says to not abide by that, saying that "if one man takes your cloak, give him also your tunic."
They might not be the exact words, but which one do you listen to? The one in the Old Testament or the one in the New Testament? This has been confusing me for a while.
Thanks for reading.
"...the following scripture illustrates the morality of being forced to kill a thief who is in the process of robbing you and possibly even threatening your life:

Exodus 22:1-2
1 If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.

2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. (KJV)"

"The Bible clearly demonstrates the truth that a hierarchy of Divine moral values exist which should govern all of our moral decisions in life.

Thus, no moral principle is completely autonomous to itself. That is why God is a God of love and mercy, but also a God of justice and judgment. In such instances, then, complexity, not contradiction, is the dynamic involved."

Source: http://www.frankcaw.com/Moral-Principles-Conflict.html

Good site. I enjoy it as well as www.gotquestions.org an entirely biblically based question site.

Listen to the new testament its for this time.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:14 pm
Monkeynathan
What can you tell me about fighting? I know Jesus chased out the sellers in the temple. So that would say that it is okay to cleanse a holy place of such things as trading, and the wars Joshua had, but that is all I can remember of what "fighting" happened. I may need to read the Bible more but can anyone help me understand when it is mostly right to fight? Right now I believe it is okay as long as you are protecting the weak or yourself or your loved ones, if this is wrong could anyone clear this up? Also with the unholy music, I don't listen to Christian music too much anymore. I got tired of the happiness... I think everything is too happy and joyous.... Maybe I am on the wrong mind-set, but I wanted to hear less happy things and the bad things that can happen. More or less, remind myself of the bad things that happen. Maybe it is just a stage or I had listened to Christian music too long(perhaps because I am still a young seed) any advise on music that would help me?

gospel rap it keeps me inline  

sieragift

Reverend MacManus

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:16 pm
heart_of_a_fighter
And then another question for everyone...alright, it's about the seven archangels. Are they only in the Catholic religion? Or could it be for any Christian? And I was also wondering, is it 'wrong' to pray to the archangels rather then God and Jesus? i know this is kind of an odd question but thanks for reading everyone!
While Catholocism, and perhaps even Lutherans and maybe those of the Eastern Orthodox traditions may place more focus on them, I would see nothing wrong with partitioning to them to protect you. As for prayer, it is thanks to Jesus that we can pray directly to God, through Him. We no longer need a temple, or to make sacrifices. We can speak directly to God.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:20 pm
Monkeynathan
One band. Saviour Machine. Look up their vids on youtube such as The Invasion of Israel, American Babylon, The Lamb, End of the Age and others. Look up their lyrics too. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

As far as fighting goes, I see nothing wrong with defending someone that cannot defend themselves. I don't always suggest using physical violence, but it may sometimes be necessary. Christians won't survive as being pacifists. Just take a look at www.persecution.org for example. It's a shame, that in other worlds Christians are being murdered. Unfortunately, we will have to fight back in some instances. Follow your heart. Remember, we are here to do the good works prepared for us by Him. If you feel you make a mistake, repent always. And each day, pray to God to guide you, and maybe read Ephesians 6: 10-20 to put on the Armor of God daily. Hope this helps bro.  

Reverend MacManus

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250

Freakconformist

Relentless Bibliophile

12,865 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:10 am
Monkeynathan

I agree with Herr Wulf, about the music. There are a lot of different Christian genres out there, not just gospel and pop, but also metal to rap. I personally like Toby Mac, who does Hip hop. But I think you might be into bands like Skillet, I like one of thier lyrics that goes "Take my heart, and soak it in gasoline!" Chirstian music isn't limited to Lawrence Welk and Micheal W. Smith. Try KLOVE.com, they have a large archive of different christian music online.

About the fighting, well I'm not going to make you feel so happy. In the OT God was focused on one group of people, the Isrealites. If you go back and read about the kind of battles they had they were either a.) to protect/prosper the Israelite. or b.) not condoned by God. These battles weren't always faught by by men either. One time the Israelites were coming up against two armies and before they even got there the two armies had destroyed themselves.

However, in the NT Jesus came not just for the Jews but also the Gentiles (you and me, anybody who isn't Jewish) Suddenly God was not just for the Israelites, but for everybody. So God doesn't want to just protect/prosper a certain sect of people, but all peoples. The hard part to understand is that He also wants to help people who we consider to be bad. Those people are still people, just misguided. So who do we have left to fight? Nobody.

So should we let injustice prevail? No. Remember and believe that in all thing God is Just. God takes care of these thing in His time. Even if we never see it, believe that a bad man will get what is coming to him if he doesn't repent and change his ways.

So what do you do if you see something happening right in front of you? You can do something, but you don't have to use your fists. If you see somebody dealing drugs in school you can tell your principal, even if you get found out. You if you see somebody getting teased because they're different you can be thier friend, even if you get teased yourself. If you see somebody getting beaten up you can step in between them, even if you get beaten instead. That is the kind of "fighting" God encourages. That's what Jesus is talking about when He says "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, give to him the other also."  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:42 am
Freakconformist
Monkeynathan

I agree with Herr Wulf, about the music. There are a lot of different Christian genres out there, not just gospel and pop, but also metal to rap. I personally like Toby Mac, who does Hip hop. But I think you might be into bands like Skillet, I like one of thier lyrics that goes "Take my heart, and soak it in gasoline!" Chirstian music isn't limited to Lawrence Welk and Micheal W. Smith. Try KLOVE.com, they have a large archive of different christian music online.

About the fighting, well I'm not going to make you feel so happy. In the OT God was focused on one group of people, the Isrealites. If you go back and read about the kind of battles they had they were either a.) to protect/prosper the Israelite. or b.) not condoned by God. These battles weren't always faught by by men either. One time the Israelites were coming up against two armies and before they even got there the two armies had destroyed themselves.

However, in the NT Jesus came not just for the Jews but also the Gentiles (you and me, anybody who isn't Jewish) Suddenly God was not just for the Israelites, but for everybody. So God doesn't want to just protect/prosper a certain sect of people, but all peoples. The hard part to understand is that He also wants to help people who we consider to be bad. Those people are still people, just misguided. So who do we have left to fight? Nobody.

So should we let injustice prevail? No. Remember and believe that in all thing God is Just. God takes care of these thing in His time. Even if we never see it, believe that a bad man will get what is coming to him if he doesn't repent and change his ways.

So what do you do if you see something happening right in front of you? You can do something, but you don't have to use your fists. If you see somebody dealing drugs in school you can tell your principal, even if you get found out. You if you see somebody getting teased because they're different you can be thier friend, even if you get teased yourself. If you see somebody getting beaten up you can step in between them, even if you get beaten instead. That is the kind of "fighting" God encourages. That's what Jesus is talking about when He says "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, give to him the other also."

Thank you, I'll check the site out, And also I had asked my Grandpa after posting my question. He said if it is to protect your household and the weak then it would be okay, but when it has to do with God and Jesus's sake, to turn the other cheek. Thinking about it now, It makes sence. Jesus came not much as a human to protect, but to teach us of God and to die for our sins. His life was surrounded by God and everything he did had to do with God and Him. There isn't really any instance where he was attacked except for God's sake (which was a lot of times for God's sake) and never for his possesions. I am not trying to go against you for your thoughts, merely saying another veiw. However, I am not saying to kill, just enough force to protect those that need protection.  

Monkeynathan

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm
heart_of_a_fighter

I disagree with partitioning to angels for protection, Wulf. Let me explain.

Heart,

Arch angels, angels, demons, and heavenly beings are talked about in the Bible. It's not just a Catholic idea. However, praying to angels is wrong.

Paul writes that we should not follow those who insist on pious denial and the worship of angels.

Prayer is considered a form of worship, so I'd say it's not good to pray to angels. However, you don't need to worry about that because we can just pray to God. God will help us how He chooses. Perhaps He'll send some of His angels to protect you, or perhaps His Spirit will minister to you as you go through a dark time.

So you see, we have no need to partition to angels because God commands them, and God will send them to protect us if He sees fit. Don't forget that angels are all ready constantly warring for God and for us.

God is holy, and He is the one we need to pray to. Remember that and you'll do fine. heart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:25 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
heart_of_a_fighter

Heart,

Arch angels, angels, demons, and heavenly beings are talked about in the Bible. It's not just a Catholic idea. However, praying to angels is wrong.

Paul writes that we should not follow those who insist on pious denial and the worship of angels.

Prayer is considered a form of worship, so I'd say it's not good to pray to angels. However, you don't need to worry about that because we can just pray to God. God will help us how He chooses. Perhaps He'll send some of His angels to protect you, or perhaps His Spirit will minister to you as you go through a dark time.

So you see, we have no need to partition to angels because God commands them, and God will send them to protect us if He sees fit. Don't forget that angels are all ready constantly warring for God and for us.

God is holy, and He is the one we need to pray to. Remember that and you'll do fine. heart

Before Jesus came down and died on the cross for our sins (Amen!). The people of Israel had to take their atonement (perfect sacrifice) to the high priest and he would offer it to God. But when Christ came and died for us. He took away the need for us to have to keep paying for our sins. So now we don't have to pray to any body but God. or take our problems to anybody but God.  

audrye

Monkeynathan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 pm
audrye
Scarlet_Teardrops
heart_of_a_fighter

Heart,

Before Jesus came down and died on the cross for our sins (Amen!). The people of Israel had to take their atonement (perfect sacrifice) to the high priest and he would offer it to God. But when Christ came and died for us. He took away the need for us to have to keep paying for our sins. So now we don't have to pray to any body but God. or take our problems to anybody but God.

The Bible tell us that there will be many trials as we live. Many will be hard to notice such as the praying to angels. Many like you would see it and think nothing of it, however, it is infact a trick to fool us like many other things Satan does to make us fall. He attacks us harder at some times then other times that will make us waver, but as long as you keep strong in the Lord and understand the what the Bible says you will be fine. ^_^ I hope no one thinks I am 100% wrong : confused  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 am
Monkeynathan
audrye
Scarlet_Teardrops
heart_of_a_fighter

Heart,

The Bible tell us that there will be many trials as we live. Many will be hard to notice such as the praying to angels. Many like you would see it and think nothing of it, however, it is infact a trick to fool us like many other things Satan does to make us fall. He attacks us harder at some times then other times that will make us waver, but as long as you keep strong in the Lord and understand the what the Bible says you will be fine. ^_^ I hope no one thinks I am 100% wrong : confused

I believe you are correct. One the most common thing Satan will try to convince us of is that we are "too small" or "not worthy" of talking to God. Of coarse we are, but that is why it is said that "God's grace is sufficiant". "God's grace" is the fact that He bends down to attend to us even in darkest parts of our lives. God cannot abide by sin, yes, but the blood of Jesus covers our sin, the fact that He died for us is a testimony to God that we are still worthy of His love and attention.
So yes, we are small and unworthy, and full of sin, but God "has known [us] in [our] mother's womb" and he "counts the hairs on [our] head". So then, If He has taken such interest in us, and loves us as much as the Bible tells us He dose, then I'm sure He doesn't mind you tugging on His robe about the everyday things in your life.  

Freakconformist

Relentless Bibliophile

12,865 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Waffles! 25

User 18688290

2,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:55 pm
Freakconformist
Monkeynathan
audrye
Scarlet_Teardrops
heart_of_a_fighter

Heart,

I believe you are correct. One the most common thing Satan will try to convince us of is that we are "too small" or "not worthy" of talking to God. Of coarse we are, but that is why it is said that "God's grace is sufficiant". "God's grace" is the fact that He bends down to attend to us even in darkest parts of our lives. God cannot abide by sin, yes, but the blood of Jesus covers our sin, the fact that He died for us is a testimony to God that we are still worthy of His love and attention.
So yes, we are small and unworthy, and full of sin, but God "has known [us] in [our] mother's womb" and he "counts the hairs on [our] head". So then, If He has taken such interest in us, and loves us as much as the Bible tells us He dose, then I'm sure He doesn't mind you tugging on His robe about the everyday things in your life.

okay thank you...I had no idea the bible said something against praying to angels. I'll only take my worries to God, now! biggrin  
Bible Questions and Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff