Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
But I am Canadian... so why add the Chinese part? *RANT* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is patriotism a good thing or a bad thing?
  Good.
  Bad.
View Results

yalie5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:35 am
tamcharles
Niphredil Ithilmir
Alright~ 3nodding

You had me worried for a while there >.<

I just had an epiphany... I'm a troll! gonk xp

you mean you just figured that out now?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:19 pm
yalie5
tamcharles
Niphredil Ithilmir
Alright~ 3nodding

Yep! twisted rofl 3nodding  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

yalie5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:57 am
tamcharles
yalie5
tamcharles
Niphredil Ithilmir
Alright~ 3nodding

well as they say in a.a. the first step in recovery is to admit you have a problem or a troll. cool  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:03 pm
yalie5
tamcharles
yalie5
tamcharles
Niphredil Ithilmir
Alright~ 3nodding

well as they say in a.a. the first step in recovery is to admit you have a problem or a troll. cool

You mean like the learning difficulties trolls? They're quite an effective means of metaphorically representing a person's inner demons. Indubitably. surprised

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Tokioka

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:11 pm
Tokioka
yalie5
tamcharles
yalie5
tamcharles
Niphredil Ithilmir
Alright~ 3nodding

You mean like the learning difficulties trolls? They're quite an effective means of metaphorically representing a person's inner demons. Indubitably. surprised

For a second there, I thought Yoda went to the dark side. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:54 am
tamcharles
Tokioka
yalie5
tamcharles
yalie5

you mean that wasn't yoda? lol  

yalie5

Tokioka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:01 pm
yalie5
tamcharles
Tokioka
yalie5
tamcharles
yalie5

you mean that wasn't yoda? lol

xd mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:13 pm
tamcharles
This rant mostly applies to those living in Canada, however feel free to extrapolate and apply it to yourselves. For Americans, this tends not to be an issue. Albeit hated internationally, I admire the American sense of unity and patriotism. I know not everyone can understand this point of view but if you have an alternate viewpoint then please do post it. So let's begin...

I was born in a small town known as Trenton, Ontario where the weather is cool, the fish were biting and the water is well... clean enough. I grew up surrounded by my closest friends and yet it never came to my attention that none of my best friends were Asian. In my city I had always thought that colour or race never really matteredm if you were cool then you were cool despite your colour of skin. Yet, I still couldn't help but be faced with small aspects of racism from ignorant people. They often allowed me to express a more physical form of communication. Aside from that, your racial background never really meant anything to anyone.

When I found out that I had been accepted to the University of Toronto I couldn't help but feel that when I moved there, I would be happily welcomed by the multicultural environment that I was unable to experience in my home town. An exciting aspect of moving to a big city, the most multicultural city in North America! However when I moved to Toronto I have seen nothing but social racism. A type of racism that I had never really thought existed in Canada. Isn't Canada called the melting pot of culture or rather the tossed salad of society? What I had discovered is a type of racism that was ultimately going to tear us apart as learning minds of the future; a future in which we were taught against racism, discrimination and so forth. Yet, at one of the most prominent universities in all of Canada I was faced with a new breed of racism. I could not believe what I was faced with; I found my self surrounded by clubs and groups that initiated on recruiting specific culture groups and social figures, i.e. the Korean Club, the Taiwanese Club, the HK Club, the mainland China Club, the African American Club, the Punjabi Club, the Hindu Club, etc.

Why is it so hard to maintain cultural and ethnical roots in a way that isn't discriminating and alienating each other? Is it necessary to segregate and self-impose a form of racial inequality? And what ever happened to a little admiration towards the country that you now call your home? I mean have you noticed just how unpatriotic Canadians are? I mean have you ever asked someone "where do you hail from? What are you?" the response would not be "I am Canadian" but rather, I am French Canadian, I am Chinese Canadian, I am Greek and part Spanish and so on and so forth... What ever happened to being just Canadian? Take a look at the United States of America; you ask an American citizen what they are they will proudly announce (even prior to 9/11) "I am American." This problem only reflects that because Canada has yet to develop a patriotic spirit, this form of racism and segregation is not seen as socially acceptable but rather a turn of the head will do for us as Canadians.

I am not yellow, brown, black, red, or white, but instead I am a proud Canadian. What's so bad about admiring the country that you now call your home? If you or your family suffered through hardships to get here hoping for a better life then shouldn't you express some pride about that? If you really loved your home country that much, then why would you even leave?

To me, it all breaks down to this, "you can't have your cake and eat it too." So I'll leave you with this final thought: Just what colour are you?

....beautiful long Rant. To answer your question, I think I'm mostly yellow. sweatdrop I'm living in Toronto/Brampton right now, before I went back to China, I lived in North York. Since I grew up in China until the age of 10, when I have just arrived at Canada, trying to adapt in this new environment, my days were pretty hard. However, when my english skills grew better, I eventually made new friends. However, when I was mature enough to have the ability to think, realized that I never had one "white" friend. I was quite scared at that thought, because the moment I had arrived at Canada, I knew this was going to be where I'll live for the rest of my life, so I have to treat this country like my own. In elementary school, there was only one Chinese girl in my class, so I began hanging out with her. When it was at the end of my grade 6, my english was at the level that I could speak fluently with others without any problem. So at that time, I really thought I have already "fit in" this country.

Then it was time to go to Junior High School...Believe it or not, the school that I went to, was made of 90% Asians! (Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean to be exact) I was quite shocked at my school, but I still manage adapt to that school in a short time. In that school, the mandarins hanged with mandarins, Cantonese hanged out with Cantonese, and Korean hanged out with Koreans or Cantonese. As if the mandarins were "isolated" from the whole school. Such racism eh? But...that was life, and I had to deal with it, because I had no choice. And at that age, I really thought that was what Canada is all about. Racism.

After coming back from China, I came to the school that I go to right now, in Brampton. Shockingly, I find myself to be the one of the VERY few asian in my school, along with the Indians/Brown/White races. (no offence to anyone?) The first day of school, when I was sitting alone in the hall way, I swear I've seen people looking at me in a different way than others. And I also swear that I've heard people saying "Look! An asian! Is she korean?? Or Japanese??" behind me. This is sad, I know. I tried to make friends with people in the anime club, and they are nice. However, I just don't feel like I fit in along white people. >.<;; No matter what they talk about, I just couldn't seem to get the humor in their conversation that's supposed to be funny.

Sigh...I support multiculturalism, but I don't think Canada will ever achieve that. However, after seeing your rant, it makes me feel that not all parts of Canada are racism like the place where I live and used to live. And that gives me hope. heart

[.Higan Bana.]

yalie5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm
[.Higan Bana.]
tamcharles
This rant mostly applies to those living in Canada, however feel free to extrapolate and apply it to yourselves. For Americans, this tends not to be an issue. Albeit hated internationally, I admire the American sense of unity and patriotism. I know not everyone can understand this point of view but if you have an alternate viewpoint then please do post it. So let's begin...

I was born in a small town known as Trenton, Ontario where the weather is cool, the fish were biting and the water is well... clean enough. I grew up surrounded by my closest friends and yet it never came to my attention that none of my best friends were Asian. In my city I had always thought that colour or race never really matteredm if you were cool then you were cool despite your colour of skin. Yet, I still couldn't help but be faced with small aspects of racism from ignorant people. They often allowed me to express a more physical form of communication. Aside from that, your racial background never really meant anything to anyone.

When I found out that I had been accepted to the University of Toronto I couldn't help but feel that when I moved there, I would be happily welcomed by the multicultural environment that I was unable to experience in my home town. An exciting aspect of moving to a big city, the most multicultural city in North America! However when I moved to Toronto I have seen nothing but social racism. A type of racism that I had never really thought existed in Canada. Isn't Canada called the melting pot of culture or rather the tossed salad of society? What I had discovered is a type of racism that was ultimately going to tear us apart as learning minds of the future; a future in which we were taught against racism, discrimination and so forth. Yet, at one of the most prominent universities in all of Canada I was faced with a new breed of racism. I could not believe what I was faced with; I found my self surrounded by clubs and groups that initiated on recruiting specific culture groups and social figures, i.e. the Korean Club, the Taiwanese Club, the HK Club, the mainland China Club, the African American Club, the Punjabi Club, the Hindu Club, etc.

Why is it so hard to maintain cultural and ethnical roots in a way that isn't discriminating and alienating each other? Is it necessary to segregate and self-impose a form of racial inequality? And what ever happened to a little admiration towards the country that you now call your home? I mean have you noticed just how unpatriotic Canadians are? I mean have you ever asked someone "where do you hail from? What are you?" the response would not be "I am Canadian" but rather, I am French Canadian, I am Chinese Canadian, I am Greek and part Spanish and so on and so forth... What ever happened to being just Canadian? Take a look at the United States of America; you ask an American citizen what they are they will proudly announce (even prior to 9/11) "I am American." This problem only reflects that because Canada has yet to develop a patriotic spirit, this form of racism and segregation is not seen as socially acceptable but rather a turn of the head will do for us as Canadians.

I am not yellow, brown, black, red, or white, but instead I am a proud Canadian. What's so bad about admiring the country that you now call your home? If you or your family suffered through hardships to get here hoping for a better life then shouldn't you express some pride about that? If you really loved your home country that much, then why would you even leave?

To me, it all breaks down to this, "you can't have your cake and eat it too." So I'll leave you with this final thought: Just what colour are you?

....beautiful long Rant. To answer your question, I think I'm mostly yellow. sweatdrop I'm living in Toronto/Brampton right now, before I went back to China, I lived in North York. Since I grew up in China until the age of 10, when I have just arrived at Canada, trying to adapt in this new environment, my days were pretty hard. However, when my english skills grew better, I eventually made new friends. However, when I was mature enough to have the ability to think, realized that I never had one "white" friend. I was quite scared at that thought, because the moment I had arrived at Canada, I knew this was going to be where I'll live for the rest of my life, so I have to treat this country like my own. In elementary school, there was only one Chinese girl in my class, so I began hanging out with her. When it was at the end of my grade 6, my english was at the level that I could speak fluently with others without any problem. So at that time, I really thought I have already "fit in" this country.

Then it was time to go to Junior High School...Believe it or not, the school that I went to, was made of 90% Asians! (Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean to be exact) I was quite shocked at my school, but I still manage adapt to that school in a short time. In that school, the mandarins hanged with mandarins, Cantonese hanged out with Cantonese, and Korean hanged out with Koreans or Cantonese. As if the mandarins were "isolated" from the whole school. Such racism eh? But...that was life, and I had to deal with it, because I had no choice. And at that age, I really thought that was what Canada is all about. Racism.

After coming back from China, I came to the school that I go to right now, in Brampton. Shockingly, I find myself to be the one of the VERY few asian in my school, along with the Indians/Brown/White races. (no offence to anyone?) The first day of school, when I was sitting alone in the hall way, I swear I've seen people looking at me in a different way than others. And I also swear that I've heard people saying "Look! An asian! Is she korean?? Or Japanese??" behind me. This is sad, I know. I tried to make friends with people in the anime club, and they are nice. However, I just don't feel like I fit in along white people. >.<;; No matter what they talk about, I just couldn't seem to get the humor in their conversation that's supposed to be funny.

Sigh...I support multiculturalism, but I don't think Canada will ever achieve that. However, after seeing your rant, it makes me feel that not all parts of Canada are racism like the place where I live and used to live. And that gives me hope. heart

lol. this reminds me of elementary school and 6th grade. the schools were dominantly asian and mainly cantonese not that many fujian or koreans or mandarin speakers. the cantonese hang out with cantonese and people of other races, the fujian hung out with fujian and the mandarin were few so they were spread out with the cantonese. I just hung out by myself or everybody. anyway i moved to a caucasion dominant school in 7th grade, never really fit in there... well not like i fit in with the asians either so i didn't really see it as much of a big deal. And then along comes highschool. It's like during 8th grade most of the people seem to be smart but then when they enter highschool it's like there's this ray that make them idiot. This guy asked me three times if I was japanese stare once okay, twice, alrighty then someone was dropped on the head as a baby, and then three times it's stfu. omg i just remembered people in 7th grade asked me if I was related to jackie chan or bruce lee I almost said yes (sarcastically) but yeah i'm not a very nice person. So eventually they left me alone. The weird thing is I think cantonese people travel in packs. Almost all my non family asian friends travel together. like we eat lunch with each other and depending on what day it is we get lunch together... so... yeah... but other people do hang out with us. multiculturalism is a good thing but not only is it not really happening in canada I don't really think it's happening in the U.S. either.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:18 pm
yalie5
lol. this reminds me of elementary school and 6th grade. the schools were dominantly asian and mainly cantonese not that many fujian or koreans or mandarin speakers. the cantonese hang out with cantonese and people of other races, the fujian hung out with fujian and the mandarin were few so they were spread out with the cantonese. I just hung out by myself or everybody. anyway i moved to a caucasion dominant school in 7th grade, never really fit in there... well not like i fit in with the asians either so i didn't really see it as much of a big deal. And then along comes highschool. It's like during 8th grade most of the people seem to be smart but then when they enter highschool it's like there's this ray that make them idiot. This guy asked me three times if I was japanese stare once okay, twice, alrighty then someone was dropped on the head as a baby, and then three times it's stfu. omg i just remembered people in 7th grade asked me if I was related to jackie chan or bruce lee I almost said yes (sarcastically) but yeah i'm not a very nice person. So eventually they left me alone. The weird thing is I think cantonese people travel in packs. Almost all my non family asian friends travel together. like we eat lunch with each other and depending on what day it is we get lunch together... so... yeah... but other people do hang out with us. multiculturalism is a good thing but not only is it not really happening in canada I don't really think it's happening in the U.S. either.

Wow...I feel bad for the mandarin people in your elementary school. sweatdrop You know what...I've had at least 5 people who asked me if I'm korean and 3 people who asked me if I'm Japanese in this school... I asked them why would they think I'm Korean they answered with, "I dunno you just look korean." ....

Reminds me of this Taiwanese guy that I just talked to yesterday. Okay here's our conversation:

Me: Are you Chinese?
Him: No, I'm Taiwanese.
Me: *pissed off* Well Taiwan belongs to China, so there's no difference isn't there?! (in my mind: b*****d..if you say no then you are gonna be SO DEAD!)
Him: I guess so...
Me: ......
Him: So are you Korean?
Me: ......No! What makes you think I'm Korean?! (in my mind: no, stupid. If I was korean then why would I be interested in asking if you are chinese or not?!)
Him: (Same as the other 364747 responses I had..>.>;; ) "I dunno you just look korean?"
Me: ...........*bell rings and goes*

sweatdrop I am.........speechless....

[.Higan Bana.]

yalie5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:02 am
[.Higan Bana.]
yalie5

Wow...I feel bad for the mandarin people in your elementary school. sweatdrop You know what...I've had at least 5 people who asked me if I'm korean and 3 people who asked me if I'm Japanese in this school... I asked them why would they think I'm Korean they answered with, "I dunno you just look korean." ....

Reminds me of this Taiwanese guy that I just talked to yesterday. Okay here's our conversation:

Me: *pissed off* Well Taiwan belongs to China, so there's no difference isn't there?! (in my mind: b*****d..if you say no then you are gonna be SO DEAD!)
Me: ......No! What makes you think I'm Korean?! (in my mind: no, stupid. If I was korean then why would I be interested in asking if you are chinese or not?!)
Him: (Same as the other 364747 responses I had..>.>;; ) "I dunno you just look korean?"

maybe you're part korean and you parents never bothered to tell you.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:56 am
yalie5
[.Higan Bana.]
yalie5

Or just your real father... zing! lol j/k j/k

But in all seriousness, I've abandoned this thread for the Taiwan vs. China one. I see more potential in that one. It's more of a disturbance in the force. twisted  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

[.Higan Bana.]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:14 pm
tamcharles
yalie5

But in all seriousness, I've abandoned this thread for the Taiwan vs. China one. I see more potential in that one. It's more of a disturbance in the force. twisted
Lol you people are so mean....

@.tamcharles: I'm starting to like you, as in the friends way. Lol 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:44 pm
[.Higan Bana.]
tamcharles
yalie5

The feeling is mutual... it's always good times to find someone to debate things with. lol cool  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

yalie5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:42 am
tamcharles
[.Higan Bana.]
tamcharles
yalie5

The feeling is mutual... it's always good times to find someone to debate things with. lol cool

awww... you're all shoooo cute *snaps picture and pops out of nowhere snapping more pictures* I wonder what angela would think about this twisted loljkz rofl
but dude... this thread... meh oh well we were going to talk around in cirlces anyway. this way i can go oooof topic.. wtf?lol rofl  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff