Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Immortality Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sutasie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:29 am
I completely agree with what Theophrastus said and to be honest, I couldn't put it any better.

If you look around at the elderly today and note how they are struggling with things such as mobile phones, computers, even DVD players - simple things that you and I can't comprehend as being complex - you'll get a glimpse at how life would eventually be for you if indeed, imortality could be achieved.

I have worked as a Care Assistant, looking after the elderly, people who were right in the centre of 'new technology' in their own youth, and now alot of them don't even know how to operate a digital clock. I have seen the frustration in their eyes when they simply can't understand a certain concept.

If you were to be imortal, just imagine how much worse that would be for yourself. Technology would be constantly changing at an alarming pace, too fast for your own mind to comprehend, because as you get older, your mind will slow down. I don't believe that you would be able to keep your brain in the healthy state that you were born and grew up with. It simply isn't a natural process and although it may be doable in the very distant future, and you can keep that healthiness of your physical brain, your emotions will begin to destort that healthiness. Living that long, would eventually drive you crazy.

In my own opinion, I came from nothingness, and I will go back into nothingness. I will only have this life, (as far as anyone knows) and so I will try and achieve as much as I can in it, in order to pass it onto the next generation of people who will in habit this Earth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:05 pm
I have to agree with most that I would never want to be immortal even if it was possible. And it may be since some organisms ara darn near close to being immortal naturally. For example, some of the buffalo grass of the North American Plains are believed to be about 10,000 years old, and sprouted at the end of the ice age! Also, some of the cells of our body don't break down until other cells actually give a chemical trigger for them to break down with age. Like cancer cells, these cells wouldn't die if given what they need to live.
The whole being lost in the advance of technology and losing all loved ones are good points, but my personal reason is totally out of my paranoid nature. You always hear from scientists today about how the health of the planet is quickly declining and we will eventually make our environment a terrible place to live. When mother nature goes to hell I sure don't want to be around when it happens!  

sora987

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:43 pm
Meirelle
Why would you want to be immortal?

God, life would get so damn boring. gonk

Yep  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash