A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Readers' and Writers' Guild
Dog-Earring Pages...What's Your Opinion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dog-earring...Good, Bad...Or UGLY? (Or You?)
  It's a very good thing!
  It's a very bad thing!
  IT MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRAAAAHHHH
  I dog ear books!! Yay!
  I dog ear books-sorry :[ :[ :[
  (the infamous:) I like pie
View Results

mizzshy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:24 pm
User Image ωнαт ιƒ ι'м α ωεεριηg ωιℓℓσω
ℓαυgнιηg тεαяs υρση мγ ριℓℓσω
ωнαт ιƒ ι'м α sσcιαℓιтε ωнσ ωαηтs тσ вε αℓσηε . . .
---

I would never ever ever ever ever ever dog-ear a book. At least... Not one that I valued.

I mean... I dog-ear books that I've bought for my English course, like Beloved and Great Expectations. But I would never dog-ear textbooks, library books, my own books or other people's.

It just ruins the books' state, doesn't it?

---
. . . ωнαт ιƒ ι'м α тσσтнℓεss ℓεσραя∂
ωнαт ιƒ ι'м α sнεερℓεss sнερнεя∂
ωнαт ιƒ ι'м αη αηgεℓ ωιтнσυт ωιηgs тσ тαкε мε нσмε User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:03 pm
It annoys me, especially when I let someone borrow one of my books and they do it. Call me odd but whenever I lend a book to someone I give them special rules about taking care of them lol.  

Lynnden_472

liminal-realities

7,950 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:16 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hmm. I've heard this debate before.
Personally, I try not to do it to books I didn't buy. Library books, or books I borrowed. And I try to just use a bookmark, although I'll lose the bookmark every once in a while, and I'll dog-ear the page. Eep, I don't enjoy doing it though.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:43 am
I dog-ear books. Its just that it's so convenient whee , especially if there aren't any scraps of paper you can use as bookmarks to be found. I don't dog-ear my personal books or my friends' books though, but I do dog-ear the library books, and the books my teachers give out, only if I can't find a bookmark of some sort. redface  

Fullmoon03

Phriya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:40 am
I personally hate it. If I let people borrow my books I make it well known NOT to dog-ear my pages. I ruins the book.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:51 pm
I use bookmarks, the paper in the back of the library book when it says it's due, or any piece of paper that's lying around. I only dog-ear books when there's nothing else I can use. I get mad at my sis when she does it to my books though. I like to keep the books I own in tip top shape. I never do it to my friends' books.  

Caroli3

SuffocatedHope

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:47 pm
I typically don't dog-ear books. It only happens when I can't find anything to use as a bookmark and keeping my finger between the pages won't last long enough. Whenever I do I try to flatten it out as much as possible as soon as I'm within reach of some sort of paper to use as a bookmark. I used to dog-ear pages a lot at one time but I don't anymore.
I tried the licking-before-turning-each-page thing before but it just ended up disgusting me. There isn't any reason to do it unless your aim is to pass germs along to the next person.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:42 am
I can't stand it, it drives me nuts, but if I see someone doing it to their own books it doesn't usually bother me.  

Rogue_Silence13

5,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200

Polly In My Pixel

Generous Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 am
i don't do dog earring myself but from the library a lot of books are dogged they're the comfiest to touch razz  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 pm
It pains me to dog ear. Especially when it comes to the books I own, I cannot bring myself to do it. However, I'm a bit of hypocrit because I have the horrible habit of highlighting or underlining my favorite passages in books (only the books that I own; never borrowed ones).  

unknown_zoso05

Thundering Hearts Guild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 pm
I always thought that it was weird how people dog-earred their books. I mean, when there's no conveniant bookmark, I suppose it makes sense. But what I always used to do when I couldn't find a bookmark was make one.

Then I'd probably ADD-off and never return to the book again.

Unless I ADD'd back, and found the book.

And happened to have a bookmark with me.

Preferably the one I made..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm
I won't hurt anyone for doing it, but I prefer not to damage books.

I'm one of those people who believe that books and knowledge are sacred.

Shinokamen

Tabitha the Maiden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 am
Noooooo! gonk
Never dog ear books! Never! Every time I see a book with a dog ear, or several of them, I go through it and fix every single one! Honestly, that's what bookmarks are for, good ones don't fall out! How about post-it notes? You could write the page you were on, on it, and then put it on the cover. Just... think of the book. emo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:54 pm
I so dislike dog ears.... but i also dislike folding the book back, leaving it open and upside down where the spine basically breaks...etc... basically when a person treats a book like crap. i guess you could say i obsess about having nice books to call my own or even those from the library. then again, i am a book fanatic. wink haha  

Anya Icheheen

6,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

theorie de chaos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:20 pm
I don't really do this too much because I like my books to be in good condition, but -legasp- the book that I just finished today, I have dog eared the pages. It was just the easiest thing to do, because I wasn't reading the book constantly, so I couldn't remember the page I was on, and I had no bookmark handy.

Not an excuse, but meh, I didn't fold the ENTIRE page, just the corner. Usually I don't do it though, but since I knew it wasn't going to be an absolute favorite book, I didn't care too much.

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff