Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you choose a new book?
  Flashy Cover?
  Catchy Title?
  Gotta love that back cover blurb
  Recommended by friends/family/book club?
  Know the author/series
  Close eyes and randomly pull one from the shelves
View Results

raging-earth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm
I tend to go for the title or cover artwork, but here lately I've been using the recommendation lists on Goodreads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am
I like to be recommended things, but they have to give me a summary about the book for me to actually check it out. When just shopping at the bookstore, I look for... everything. It the title sounds like it'll be about a subject I like, I'll look at it. If the cover looks good, I'll look at it too. The big deciding thing for me though, is to read the back or jacket, then maybe read the first page or so.  

Ferocious Rabid Weasel

1,450 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

readtobreathe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 pm
There are several determining factors for me. I usually search for books within genres that I know that I love. Amazing covers usually always pull me in... and if the synopsis is good, I'm reading it.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 am
I usually either go with recommended books. Some the tittle with catch my eye, sometimes the cover will. I'll either read the first page and if it interests me, than I will purchase the book or borrow the book. Sometimes, I will look for a certain author it just depends. Though I do like reading books that others recommend, its fun seeing what interests other. I read a really random book, I was bored at school. It was called Crazy Was definitely interesting. Quick read, but good  

Lady Idril Saralonde

7,200 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100

always on the beach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:49 am
I don't buy very many books (because I'm afraid that after I buy it I won't like it and it will be a waste of money), so when I'm at the library, (which is often) I walk s l o w l y along the shelves, and look for an interesting title with a neat spine. When I find one, I pull it off the shelf, check to see if the cover seems interesting, then open the frount cover to see what the book is about. If it passes all 3 of these, I add it to my pile of 8-9 books I already found and take them out. =)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 am
I've gone by everything. A good title can really catch your eye. I definitely pick other books by a good author, and I've gone off a few recommendations, mostly those my dad liked or if I hear of a lot of people who read one (Twilight). I have also gone off covers, such as with a book called Dragon Champion. Best covers in the world. And the back cover always helps, as with a good book called Midwinter. It had an excellent cover and back cover description. All in all, I go off genre, then author, then back cover, then what a randomly picked page is like. Reading a random paragraph or so says a lot about the author's style of writing, which you really don't get any other way. That is my main consideration, but I have to like the author/title/cover to pick it up first.  

WickedSong

DoubIe Entendre

Friendly Fairy

10,400 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:59 pm
I usually look at the blurb if the title is catchy to me. If I know the series well enough and like it (if the book even came in one) I will usually pick the book right off the shelf. I also go by authors, such as Heather Brewer or Stephen King.  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff