Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm a bad Atheist. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:06 pm
[The Looney Bin]
Tornado_Creator
You're not a bad atheist, you're just someone who isn't deluded by obvious fairy tales who happens to have a low attention span when people are trying to prove/disprove the invisible friends of the moron masses. It doesn't make you a bad atheist, it just makes you human really...

...after all, if we called people who believed in unicorns unicist, I would be a anunicist because I don't believe in unicorns, but I don't give anywhere near a s**t enough to debate with the idiots that do believe in them. I would just sit back, point and laugh at them for being morons. Doesn't make me a bad anunicist.
User Image

I believe in unicorns emo .
User Image

Sweet. XD I always wanted a unicorn.. would you happen to be in the church of the IPU? razz

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:51 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
[The Looney Bin]
Tornado_Creator
You're not a bad atheist, you're just someone who isn't deluded by obvious fairy tales who happens to have a low attention span when people are trying to prove/disprove the invisible friends of the moron masses. It doesn't make you a bad atheist, it just makes you human really...

...after all, if we called people who believed in unicorns unicist, I would be a anunicist because I don't believe in unicorns, but I don't give anywhere near a s**t enough to debate with the idiots that do believe in them. I would just sit back, point and laugh at them for being morons. Doesn't make me a bad anunicist.
User Image

User Image

Sweet. XD I always wanted a unicorn.. would you happen to be in the church of the IPU? razz

User Image
User Image

No, the church of the FSM got me first =].

But I believe in unicorns anyway scream .
But in a very hilariously sarcastic way =].

[The Looney Bin]

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 pm
[The Looney Bin]
Daffodil the Destroyer
[The Looney Bin]
Tornado_Creator

User Image

User Image

User Image
User Image

The thing about unicorns is they're just such uncreative imaginary things. Like a cat with 28 toes, it's just sort of an odd coincidence that they don't exist (do they?). They're rather plausible, but if they existed, what difference would it really make?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:52 pm
gallows humour
[The Looney Bin]
Daffodil the Destroyer
[The Looney Bin]
Tornado_Creator

User Image

User Image

User Image
User Image

The thing about unicorns is they're just such uncreative imaginary things. Like a cat with 28 toes, it's just sort of an odd coincidence that they don't exist (do they?). They're rather plausible, but if they existed, what difference would it really make?

Aren't unicorns flying creatures? They fly by kicking their legs in a really wimpy way. That would make them rather impossible, and fantastic.  

Prince Rilian

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:40 pm
Rilian
gallows humour
[The Looney Bin]
Daffodil the Destroyer
[The Looney Bin]
Tornado_Creator

User Image

User Image

User Image
User Image

Aren't unicorns flying creatures? They fly by kicking their legs in a really wimpy way. That would make them rather impossible, and fantastic.

When I think 'Unicorn,' I think wimpy. Unless there was some huge Dark-a-corn with dreadlocks and horn a horn that looked more like a bone-sword. Hmm, that'd be pretty badass now that I think about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm
Oh yes. A-THEISM has everything to do with the supernatural.
/sarcasm

Rilian Reilly Sharp
IMO, someone who believes in anything supernatural is a bad atheist.

cabbage3

Friendly Explorer

6,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Battle: Mage 100

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:21 pm
cabbage3
Oh yes. A-THEISM has everything to do with the supernatural.
/sarcasm

Rilian Reilly Sharp
IMO, someone who believes in anything supernatural is a bad atheist.

Lol. Generally, atheists are just rational people. It's not that they're rational because they are atheists; they're atheists because they're rational. Rational people tend not to believe in anything that doesn't have sufficient evidence.
But yeeeah... an atheist can believe in Santa Claus, unicorns, ghosts, etc. if he or she really wanted to.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:17 pm
Sex! at the Disco
I discovered at my Family Reunion that my distant cousin was an Atheist, and I looked at the sky and said "Maybe there is a God."

I wasn't joking.

Now THAT is a bad atheist.

a bad atheist is my friend... she was atheist, then she went all gospel, then atheist again...
shes back to gospel =/  

T3xtual Harassm3nt

I Was The Moon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:14 pm
We're the same.

I know I don't believe in a God, but I didn't go researching every other religion to come to that conclusion.

I would lose in a debate because I don't have bible verses memorized and I don't completely remember the technical parts of the theory of evolution.

I just avoid religious confrontations...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:34 pm
i wouldn't say you're a bad atheist; you seem to be more devoted than a lot of idiots who call themselves christians.  

KitCatbartender

Athena_Ritashe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 pm
I'd say the only criteria for being an Atheist is not believing in Gods/supernatural stuff. So the way to be a bad atheist is believing in god and running around calling yourself an atheist. Of course there may be the apathetic atheist that doesn't care about religion, or the necessity of separation of church and state, or gaining a basic grasp of such things as evolution, the big bang, etc. But while I see such issues as important it doesn't mean that I can tell someone else how to be a good atheist.

Let's look at it this way, you don't have to give up your intellectual integrity to join the club, unlike the majority of religions out there.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 pm
Well, I'd argue that there's a subtle difference between "supernatural" and "paranormal." Gods are supernatural, because they exist outside the boundaries of nature, by necessity. Paranormal is the stuff that happens but does not, as yet, have a suitable explanation under what we currently understand as reality. If you asked God for a sign of his presence and nothing happens, that's only to be expected. But, watch a video of a skeptic asking into thin air for a sign of the presence of an imputed ghost, expecting nothing, and then see a chair move without any outside agency or assistance, and that's something that's outside conventional explanation and bears closer examination. If he's being played for a sucker, then so be it. But, if not.... Well, one might argue with some not inconsiderable evidence that there have been such things. They're just not as common as people like to think they are. Supernatural requires no incidents in order for a thing to be called such. Paranormal, on the other hand, does. The problem is, the line between the two is often misunderstood. There's nothing really wrong with being a pure Materialist. But, Quantum Theory kinda messes with that, big time. Humans only experience 4 dimensions: height, depth, width and time. But, that Quantum stuff predicts that there are rather a lot more than just those four, and that's where things start to get a little fuzzy.

That said, most of the time, when people call a place haunted, they've simply got an overactive imagination or there's something else going on there that has a more rational explanation. But that slim percentage of those times where some things happen that shouldn't be able to leave just enough wiggle room for wonder. Nevertheless, there's a lot more instances of those kinds of things than there are about anything from imputed gods, even if they are hanging out in other dimensions. Hence, Ghosts: 1, God: 0.

People don't survive true death for the living to know what it's really like. And what of the chemicals are released into the brain at the moment of even temporary death (near-death experiences where people report seeing a light or even deceased loved ones) and what sorts of hallucinations or what have you that might create, or if it creates them at all? Maybe there's something to it. Maybe it's all in human heads. Better it be investigated by science than superstition, though, and the answer you get will be a lot more reliable.

I like to keep an open mind about stuff, personally. Scientific frontiers are expanding all the time, and while we may never know very much about the inner nature of things after all, that needn't stop us from trying. I don't mind not having a definite answer for everything. Discovery's exciting stuff and life without it would be pretty boring. But as far as mediums, ectoplasm and demons go, you'll get rolling eyes from this corner. There's an awful lot of ballyhoo and balderdash, and it gets about neck-deep and insufferably silly when you get frauds, like mediums, involved. But, get out there with scientific equipment that have no such biases or agendas, leave Madame Zoronka in her incense-filled rooms with the Crystal, Silver and Silk Set, and demand to see actual proof that defies rational explanation? That'll be what gets the more serious attention. None of that totally fakey-fakey "I sense a presence" garbage. None of that Lorraine Warren "demonic infestation" crap about a spot of light on a wooden door in a photograph that's obviously showing a reflection of sunlight from somebody's watch face. No piezoelectric speakers epoxied to rafters to produce "ghostly voices" or pneumatic devices on timers designed to make pendant lamps sway like a bunch of cheap funhouse thrills. Nix the nonsense, and you've got a much better shot at the truth.

Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary proof. Keep your standards high. Nothing wrong with that and everything right. But, this is a strange old world which may yet have plenty of surprises left for us. I'm just not convinced that any deities will ever be found amongst them. Every discovery that's been found makes that profoundly less and less probable, and to me, each step like that's a good step in the right direction. Science kills the supernatural and always craves and strives for a better understanding of the universe and how it actually works, not just on the surface, but underneath it all, too. Scientists are currently chasing the elusive Higgs Boson particles that nobody's actually found yet, hoping to find an explanation for exactly why it is that matter has mass. Others seek to find out just what dark matter is and where it can be found. There's a lot of high-flown, purely theoretical stuff out there that's as gauzy and ephemeral as the notion of ghosts, if not moreso. Excise the foolish Spiritualism mumbo-jumbo and see what's left, though. If nothing, then that's fine. Debunked, and we move on. But, one kernel, just one, keeps the door open for further investigation. Questions beg for answers and answers beg for further questions. No gods need apply, as they're still not on the radar.

So, ghosts? Maybe. Show me. Or maybe it's all just quantum after all.  

Paraldehyde Kool-Aid

Zach mit Kase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc954nt-7Io  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items