Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
What exactly is broadcasts? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pheonix20222

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:21 am
Metalic_Noodles

Rita: LOL That's what I've been saying (other threads, I'll see if I can find one) If asking the captain to not send them so carelessly doesn't work, then how would that member get along with the captain enough to enjoy the guild. confused

Churrlo-I think you are thinking of Gaia Alerts, which used to work, then broke and never send. Sure it will be abused, and they will be punished by members leaving for other guilds. 3nodding

Pheonix-Just a guess, but it that post dated 2007 or earlier?

Ah! Thread- http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=12380839&page=1
Mostly just a collection of thoughts by many captains. (cappy guild) For the most part, and the purpose of linking this to you, ignore the first post, maybe even the first page. Please don't post in that thread though, it is long dead.

As stated in that thread, my personal favorite is giving the guild account a use, 5g per member the GMPM (guild mass pm) is sent to.

~Metalic_Noodles

of the post... confused >

Ahhhh! My poor eyes and brain.. LoL!

eek What?!?! Five gold per member, let me do the math with
a rather populated guild that Im in....
OMG, that would mean the guild Im in would have to have 97,050 gold...

I dunno, I dont like it... I think that would just make it so that the higher
populated guilds couldn't afford to do something like this... And the
lower populated guilds would be able to do it more... I just dont see
the fairness in it.
Maybe one per GMPM... But that is still a harsh punishment for the higher
populated guilds...

I like the whole once per week gig.. but then of course there is that
oops thing that would raise a brown eye...

I like churrlo's idea and I think he is talking about like the
forum announcements..

User Image
I think that it would be ideal for guilds to start out with
one subforum that the mass-whatever (pms or announcements) will
automatically go to. A subforum where not even the captain can post
or delete posts, but can post by sending the mass whatevers.

And I agree when you say that this should be in the captain's controls
so that members dont get their hands on em.

I like the 4 a month thing... Yeah, thats it, thats the spot.. LoL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:19 am
2 a week sounds fair enough to me =o. 4 per month would be one a week btw =o. I think that if they made announcements like that it wouldn't be an issue o.o;; So what if you get a lot, stop being in so many guilds D< razz

And I'm not sure how they'd work out the whole mass PM thing... maybe guilds will get a special page where the announcements pop up like the Gaia staff has or maybe its just posting a thread with an announcement... idk razz  

churrlo

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 am

Edits don't change the post time, I didn't realize it was a post that gets updated. But FYI, any moderator can edit a post I believe, not just the poster. In guild crew can also edit posts, so while true or not you can't be 100% on who wrote it, even though moderators have rules about that stuff.
xp never mind, it's a quote. So the question is where that was originally posted. I trust Badloki though so it doesn't matter.

If you right click this: User Image next to a post, and hit 'copy link location' you can link directly to the post.

Anyway, she put in that post that Dark said that, what, July 10th, 2007 was it? And Dark isn't a GGN dev anymore, at least last I checked. I think he was taken off for the MP update and never returned.

Tell me, how much does that guild have in its guild account? And let me guess, that that amount is even with a 'don't donate below, donate to the mule' right before the bottom. Besides, I highly doubt GMPMs would ever be intended to be used as weekly newsletters, but instead as occasional 'get your butt posting, tell me you are a lurker, or quit the guild' messages.

It would encourage activity, discourage inactive members (no forgetting guilds exist wink ) and give the guild accounts something besides too many forums to be good for, finally. If you check the thread, we even thought about once per week and then the fee, or an increasing fee, where in a set amount of time (week, two weeks, a month...) the first GMPM would coast 1g per member sent to, the second would be 2g... until they reached a maximum limit or ran out of gold in the guild account. Or, that but starting at free.

That would work with just having it set to an announcements forum, or the ain forum and doing that every time an announcement is posted. (making then moving, or making then upgrading it to an announcement likely wouldn't work. ) The problem is that crew and VCs can post announcements, announcements can't really be limited without outcry and protests, and if you have announcements from more than one guild how would the like there work? It couldn't really work like the Gaia staff announcements.

I think 5 a month, no fee, or 7-15 a month with fees, like the increasing for each PM, and then at the start of the next month the price resets at 0 or 1g per member sent to.
The problem with the increasing rate is that if you can pick and choose who does and doesn't receive the PM, you might have a higher cost per member even if it is the first GMPM that member set has recived because you sent two different GMPMs, one to the members with 0 posts, one to other members, and another to the crew.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:10 pm
churrlo
2 a week sounds fair enough to me =o. 4 per month would be one a week btw =o. I think that if they made announcements like that it wouldn't be an issue o.o;; So what if you get a lot, stop being in so many guilds D< razz

And I'm not sure how they'd work out the whole mass PM thing... maybe guilds will get a special page where the announcements pop up like the Gaia staff has or maybe its just posting a thread with an announcement... idk razz

Wrong, there is a difference. With 4 a month you can choose, 2 every two weeks, 3 in one week, 4 in one week, or one a week. With one a week if you want to send out an immediate correction you better hope that you sent the first right before the next week starts.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

pheonix20222

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:00 pm
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... sweatdrop
Thats wierd too, I see quotes from Dark everywhere and never see him...

Your guess is wrong, the guild Im talking about is "The Lounge" (can be
found at the first page of the registry), and we dont have a mule yet...
Actually, I think we have a mule, but Radimir never announced it when
he got it... I dunno, Ill just have to wait until Radimir's back before I
can see if we have a mule. The point is; we dont have a mule, nor did
we ever discourage people from donating on the homepage...
That wouldn't really be a fun feature if nobody ever made like newsletters
or at least something like that a month...

I guess if their post has to be a "get your a** posting or get out of my guild
" kinda post then that's their choice, but people come by guilds all the time
where their leader is more consintrating on there guild being inactive
instead of ways to fix it... just check out the Captains guild.. Lol.

I like the 4 a month, and then a fee for any additional pms or
announcement for that month... but maybe going up 0.5 or 1 gold at a
time (rounding up of course).

Sorry, I didnt know about the whole link-to-that-post thingy sweatdrop , but
now I do. ^^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 pm
I wonder if the servers could handle mass PMs from all the guilds though. Cause at first everyone would be sending them, would it crash the system gonk Maybe a good way to abuse, somewhat anyways, would be to charge a fee for buying the feature to begin with =o Just a thought.  

churrlo

pheonix20222

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:08 am
churrlo
I wonder if the servers could handle mass PMs from all the guilds though. Cause at first everyone would be sending them, would it crash the system gonk Maybe a good way to abuse, somewhat anyways, would be to charge a fee for buying the feature to begin with =o Just a thought.

That would be cool. It would make it like buying a trading pass
or something... Nice blaugh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:31 pm
pheonix20222

Could you please elaborate?

Ya, each GMPM fee would go up by 1g per member.

now I do. ^^
It took me a WHILE to figure out that is how to link to a specific post on Gaia.

churrlo

That's a new thought, and interesting, but I think that the trading pass was just so that free new-account stuff wasn't used to further a main account, kinda ruins the point of free stuff though. The start fee would only really be needed for existing (not guilds made after a certain date) and only work if you get a few free GMPMs to start with. Maybe a fee charged for immediate opening of the feature, but after a week guilds who didn't pay would start to be allowed to send them? That would stagger it, and not be too against Gaia since it is like the head start tickets, hence, no whining, as long as they knew from the start that the real release would be staggered random guilds allowed to send before others to slow the rush.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:06 pm
I like the idea of that. And that way, we're like beta testers if we get it before everyone else xd Hehe. And it would give people time to get oriented with the system before everyone else ^_^ I don't see why guilds couldn't' come up with the funds for the entry fee anyways, it doesn't have to be high and honestly lots of guilds have lotsa money sitting around which we can currently only use on subforums.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:09 am
pheonix20222

Could you please elaborate?

Ya, each GMPM fee would go up by 1g per member.

now I do. ^^
It took me a WHILE to figure out that is how to link to a specific post on Gaia.

Ok, what I mean is.... If you go and look at an average populated guild
that is inactive but trying to concentrate on getting active.
(how do I say this and make sense.......)
They tend to say things without going through with what they say they'll
do...

Im a crew in this guild... and they always say...
~"well, we need to start a contest soon
~Im raising money for something specail to hopefully get things going"

And a good way to find those specific guilds, I say, is, and will soon not be,
the CG. Reason being is that theres always an active "how do I make my
guild active" thread...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhh, thats not what I ment by that....
I meant rounding up the total.

~So if you had 2,500 members in your guild and the gold per GMPM was
0.5 gold, that would make: 1,250 gold
[0.5 * 2,500 = 1,250]

If you had 1,785 members in your guild, your total would be 892.5, and
rounding that up would be 893.
[0.5 * 1,785 = 892.5] Rounding to the nearest whole number = [893]

That feels a lot different (and better, IMO), then charging for having a
high populated guild... I know you might not consider the above examples
to be high populated, but you get the point, right?

pheonix20222

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:10 pm

Easier for the system to do 1g per member, no punishment for sending a message to an odd number of people, and I have been one to lean on the higher side of a fee per GMPM.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm
I still say a set fee based on guild membership is best- that way a guild with 20000 members doesn't get charged 20k for 1 mass pm---- there has to be a limit set somehow.

Also- Captains and Vice Captains only to do the mass pm'ing... not regular crew.... Let's keep a tight reins on the guild account and the mass pm'ing.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

pheonix20222

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 pm
Its really wierd... Its totally useless to have the checkbox for
both captains and vice captains, because vice captains can go in and
change it as they please... What a usless box... stare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:00 am
I think it is confirmed that broadcasts are the instant messages through
the new GIM feature. If you go to a guild that does not have a broadcast
set to members, than it will give you a message saying that the broadcasts
were never set for your ranking.

pheonix20222

churrlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:11 pm
O rly? *goes and tries out*

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff