Welcome to Gaia! ::

[MADG] Hangout

Back to Guilds

Formerly the Mil-a-Day Giveaway, this guild is now a just great place to hangout and meet some new friends. 

Tags: [MADG], Hangout, friends, relax, bunnies 

Reply [MADG]
Age gaps? How big is too big? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

peanut butter fruit loops

Dapper Darling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:47 pm
I think i depends on the ages themselves, not how many years to much
Like my dad is 8 years older than my mother, but they got together when she was like 26 and he was 34, so it isn't to bad
but if you think if they got together when he was 18, she'd only be 10
you know? but your brother with a 24 year old is kind of odd, for the ages they are right now  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:25 pm
When you get older, an age difference doesn't matter so much. Like my parents are 6 years apart, but they didn't get together until they were both over 20. But if you're so young like those two, it really does. An age difference of one or two years wouldn't make much of a difference...but this would. They are in totally different places in their lives...so it's weird. Like, when she was 18, he would be 10!!! He's not even finished with high school and she would already be graduated from college. O_O I wouldn't approve either if my little brother was in a relationship like that.  

StreetsofFire

1,350 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Dressed Up 200

xXspanner_dogXx

2,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:59 am
im thinking 9 or 10 years is a bit much  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 am
Omgaaah! I posted this back in august! That's almost 6 months. And they've been going out for over 6 months... Damn. I was always hoping their relationship wouldn't last but it doesn't look like it'll be ending anytime soon. emo  

Rabid Keese

Vampiric Demon

Godfather Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 pm
I really don't think age gaps matter too much when two people really like each other. As long as the two people understand the age gap effects on society, and realize that their future will be sort of shaky and unbalanced (since one person will always be a lot younger than the other, and one day they may have to come to terms that they will still be alive a much more considerable length than their partner).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:50 pm
age gaps can be a problem.

like my friend whose only thirteen
and her boyfriend is like 19.
they always fights
that turns to cool off.  

jibei

MxDramatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:43 pm
Personally, anything from 2 to 3 years of age difference is fine. I think that if your..lets say. 11-13 you shouldnt be dating a 20 year old person. Pretty pitiful on the older persons part if you ask me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:46 pm
Malevo Arcana
The deal is that my youngest brother has a girlfriend he's been seeing for a while now and it's gotten quite serious. He's moved out of my mom's place and is staying with her a lot. She has a kid of her own who likes to say that my brother is her "daddy". I don't know his girlfriend too well but I'm not too crazy about their relationship mostly because she is 24 and he is 16. Call me an overprotective sibling if you will.

Not like I haven't tried accepting and dealing with it. I try to tell myself that age is only a number and things like that but... but... This chick is older than me and going out with my young teenage baby brother?! xp

Anyone else have similar experiences? emo

IMO That is very young to be dating, your brothers brain is still growing and hes dating an adult....um it would be a wise idea to talk to him about dating someone his own age. Think about it this way, what if his friends ask him about his girlfriend? how can his girlfriend relate to them? wouldn't that just be socially awkward? I think if he waited a few years (18 ) it would seem more logical, right now he is still young and naive and learning.

If you are really concerned then bluntly ask her why she can't date someone in her age group. She is an adult, ask her what exactly she has in common with him?.  

Ecknidas

Alluminn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 pm
Ecknidas
Malevo Arcana
The deal is that my youngest brother has a girlfriend he's been seeing for a while now and it's gotten quite serious. He's moved out of my mom's place and is staying with her a lot. She has a kid of her own who likes to say that my brother is her "daddy". I don't know his girlfriend too well but I'm not too crazy about their relationship mostly because she is 24 and he is 16. Call me an overprotective sibling if you will.

Not like I haven't tried accepting and dealing with it. I try to tell myself that age is only a number and things like that but... but... This chick is older than me and going out with my young teenage baby brother?! xp

IMO That is very young to be dating, your brothers brain is still growing and hes dating an adult....um it would be a wise idea to talk to him about dating someone his own age. Think about it this way, what if his friends ask him about his girlfriend? how can his girlfriend relate to them? wouldn't that just be socially awkward? I think if he waited a few years (18 ) it would seem more logical, right now he is still young and naive and learning.

If you are really concerned then bluntly ask her why she can't date someone in her age group. She is an adult, ask her what exactly she has in common with him?.

Wow, that's like... stone-age morals

I was going out with guys left and right when I was 13 and having sex with them by 16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:13 pm
Ecknidas
Malevo Arcana

Oh believe me. She knows I dislike her. On New Year's when everyone was hugging each other I hugged my brother, hugged that woman's daughter when she asked for one (because really I have nothing against that little girl it's not her fault she has a stupid mother) but then that woman tried to hug me and I was like "Whoa.. No, no, no." Later that evening my mother heard about it and called me mean and ridiculous for not wanting to hug that *****. : /

She's also totally aware of what she's doing. She gets him to lie about his age to other people and tells everyone he's 18. She's also on welfare but hasn't put him under her name because she's ashamed of what they'll think. Of course I also cracked a joke that she could put him as her dependent. Many lulz were had.  

Rabid Keese

Vampiric Demon

Alluminn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Holy Jeebus!
Teaparty changed names!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:12 am
Ok, here's the thing, it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with maturity. I know people who were married at 18 and everyone said they wouldn't make it. They just celebrated 15 years and they're still going strong. Some people at that age don't know what they want from life yet, so how can they possibly know what they want from a partner. The problem in this relationship seems to be, not the age the woman IS, but the way she ACTS. She acts like someone with no morals. I understand your feelings on the matter but if your parental unit is not willing to do anything about it, sorry to say, there's nothing you can do, legally. She doesn't sound like the kind of person you can talk to logically so your hands are pretty much tied. My brothers have gone out with and married many a woman I can't stand, but since I know that my brothers would chose a chick over me in a heart beat, I just have to endure it. This is how I ended up with a crack dealing stripper of a sister-in-law who hit my Mom. Sooo, yeah, if none of the members of the situation who can actually make a difference in it will listen to reason, you're pretty much out of luck. Sorry.
As for the age difference, my parents were 27 years apart and that relationship lasted for 23 years, that's when my Dad died. So, yeah, the age doesn't matter as much as the people in the relationship.
Good luck,
God Bless,  

shelly draven

Lekituzl

Codger

12,175 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 am
Mm... I don't think it matters. As with most things in life, I think it varies from person-to-person/couple-to-couple. Some people are very mature for their age and can deal with someone that's older, or vice versa. Actually, some maybe just not be interested in people their age 'cause they have nothing in common.

Also, on the whole dating a minor thing... that's not to bad. Against, it depends on their maturity. If it's the usual type of teenager getting angry about small things and breaking up a bajillion times, yeah, it's probably not gonna work out. But doubting them and putting more stress on them won't exactly help. (Side note - Here in Kentucky you have to be just 16 to consentable towards sex/etc an older person. : /)

My personal tipping point is about 20 years of age apart, depending on how he acts. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:02 pm
ive done 5 year gap  

-X_RITZGO_X-

Dapper Genius

1,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Partygoer 500

Rabid Keese

Vampiric Demon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 am
Magadei

Holy Jeebus!