Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Should Capcom Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:11 pm
I've never called them parents, actually. I called them mom, or dad. But I never went, "Parents, I request a grant of $50 to appease my interests."

But yes, a job is awesome. As much as I hate working, it allows me to buy oh so many games.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:16 pm
Huh. Here I was thinking I was like most teenage boys. surprised

No, but really. A job would be nice, I'm still pretty lazy though.  

Mr. Kennedy

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:22 pm
Yeah, but believe me, when those two agonizing weeks pass, and you open that envelope and look at that three digit figure, you remember why you did it and are willing to do it all over again.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:50 am
I think capcom did ok with the desicion they made with the RE series.
I've been here good things about RE5.  

Revy_TwoGun

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 am
From.... People who couldn't care less about the series?

Game Critics never give a crap about the storyline. That's why if you care even a bit about the storyline, just remember, reviews are no indication.

Besides, never, ever make a judgment about something based purely on what other people said.
People said Dead Space was an awesome game. I thought it was the most boring game I've played in a long time. I couldn't even finish it. I didn't care about the main character (maybe because he had no dialogue, thus no personality), the storyline was told poorly. It just felt like the whole game was made by robots who get the basic theory of what it takes to make a good game, but lack any and all personality. I don't mean for the character, even though that was the case. But I mean for the game itself.
And yet, the game got 9.0s. So, don't believe the hype unless you've lived it for yourself.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 am
Wow....so...what is this thread about?  

Alkaizer87

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 am
Biohazard EXTREME
Besides, never, ever make a judgment about something based purely on what other people said.

Right. So don't listen to anything Bio said. xd Because Dead Space was a good game. Play the game for yourself; decide if it was good for yourself.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 pm
Thee Stranger
Biohazard EXTREME

Right. So don't listen to anything Bio said. xd Because Dead Space was a good game. Play the game for yourself; decide if it was good for yourself.
Or decide if it was bad, for that matter.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm
I didn't think it was that great either though I didn't finish it. I was pretty much in it for the scares so I went along with the story and scripted events and such. I was almost never scared when playing and thats when I had to put it down.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm
Well that's the thing. The storyline was a bit dull. The monsters looked great, but it really wasn't scary.
Again, proof that a game needs more than just gameplay and graphics.

Oh, and considering how amazing the sound effects were... It's kinda sad that it had no music... Err, did it? Because if it did, it was horribly forgettable.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:07 pm
Well, I know online animated comics helped flesh out the story. I didn't watch them. Maybe we missed out?

I don't think I remember music. I remember mostly ambience which got my thinking "Ohh this is creepy." But not much scares were in store.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:19 pm
Hey, man, I watched those comics. Those comics were awesome. Those comics got me so hyped up for the game.
But they did nothing for the game.
I was playing it like, going from one room to the next, pointless grinding with nothing to show for it.

It's like... Apparently Isaac's (main character's) wife was supposed to work on that space station... But since Isaac is a silent hero, he says nothing... So he has no personality... So you don't care for him... So then it's like, "Who cares?"
I dunno, there have been games where being the silent hero helps you kind of assume the character's personality. But in cases like that, it's all about the character. It's all about YOU. Like, in Resistance (even though the main character does talk, it's not a lot.) What are you doing? You're fighting to stop the Chimera, you have powers that other soldiers don't. You're the biggest hope humanity has. It's about you, so it's that much easier to care.
I may be wrong, it may be something else...
But all that I saw in Dead Space was, "Go there to turn that gizmo on. Go there to turn that gizmo on. Get back here." Dangerous moment happens, "Are you okay? Good!" But like... His wife was supposed to be on the ship, and I don't care. Some guy left a video diary, but I don't care.

I try to get scared, but it ain't scary. I'm bored.

Now, Silent Hill Homecoming was probably the least scary of all the Silent Hill games (I still blame the over the shoulder gameplay), but the storyline was, if nothing else, at least present. The characters had personalities, the storyline had character. So even though it wasn't that scary, the graphics were a bit disappointing, and the sound effects were pretty crappy, I still found myself saying, "I wanna know what happens next. This game is interesting."

With Dead Space it was like, "Okay, moving on, where to next? Okay, I'm going there. When is this gonna be over?" So I decided to go play something fun. Then I picked up Spider-Man: Web of Shadows and had such a blast. But that's another story.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 pm
Nope, I missed em.

Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there Bio. No idea Issac had a goal other than listen to that chick talk and help you fix up the ship. But I wanted to like the game. It was like The Thing meets Event Horizon but like you said, it didn't bring enough to the table.

Though I was geeking out about having no HUD to my friends for a while.

EDIT: Wait, I think I remember him searching for his wife. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:34 pm
Well s**t. Me too! Dead Space was my most anticipated title of the season. I wanted to like it so much. But it lacked personality.

The thing is... You could play a game like Legend of Zelda... Link doesn't say s**t. But there's plenty of things that make Zelda awesome non the less. Fun puzzles, interesting dungeons, WONDERFUL music.

With horror, especially when you make the entire game a relatively same bland color, which-don't get me wrong-was plenty justified. But when it's horror... The character might die. The person the character is looking for might be dead. Etc. Etc. You have to make the player CARE about the characters in a horror game, otherwise it's pointless.

I mean, the Jill Sandwich line was plenty cheeseball... But when you don't give that Magnum back to Barry and he dies... I find it difficult to NOT feel like a heartless monster. Why? Because it was Barry. He had a personality. And oh god, the odd time I let that hunter have a go at Rebecca... Just to get the non-rebecca ending. Every time I do it, I think about reloading the game and letting her live.

With Dead Space, it's like, the only motivation I had was to get a little further so I could inspect the gorgeous graphics. But that wasn't enough.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm
Again, hit it right on the head. Character development. Usually doesn't work too well when the character is a drone. That's how I felt, a drone fixing up the ship.

I played the game on my friend's monster computer, so the graphics were amazing.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff