Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
New Features for Guilds - Sneak Peak! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Colinflower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 pm
The mock ups were actually clean and followed the site. I'm surprised. Guilds haven't ever really looked great anyway. However, I'm anxious to get in depth with the UI as far as the Moderation Tools, Guild Forum, Posting, etc. Those would be some nice mock ups to see. I'm wanting to see if the guild header and footer areas are nice as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 am
I don't like the new mock ups, no.

It's seems a frightfully cosmetic opening move on Gaia's behalf and I frankly DO NOT WANT cosmetics.

The guilds should be usable before they look pretty, Gaia; what's the point in encouraging members towards the guilds if right now they're difficult for their crew to use?

Looks like a pointless 'upgrade' to me, again, give me something I can USE and I'll stop being so hard on you all.

This is honestly starting to frustrate me now, I am sick to death of these continual misdirections on Gaia's behalf.

We have highlighted what we as GGN crew want and yet Gaia has STILL moved things in their own direction; what's the point in asking what we want if it gets disregarded?

PL  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:15 am
I'm with Pilot to some extent. When we were asked what features we most wanted, I think we generally focussed on admin and crew features that would speed up day-to-day tasks. So from that point of view, it's disappointing to see Gaia approach the GGN overhaul from the opposite side, with cosmetic changes first off the block designed to boost traffic to guilds - in other words, a change in favour of everyone who didn't give any feedback on guilds because they aren't here yet.

The message here is that users care about what it seems like Gaia's priorities are, sometimes even more than they care about the actual changes that come.

But there is no getting around the fact that all of the GGN needs renewing (whether this is technically going to be a "rewrite" or just an update with occasional rewriting). And regardless of whether I think the new GGN splash page should have been one of the first things pushed out, it is definitely an important update.

Also, I can't imagine those splash pages being any better.

So, maybe not our ideal sequencing, but this isn't just about us. I'm sure our feedback is being internalised and used, and meanwhile, we have more than just promises of an update - we have the stunningly beautiful beginnings of one! That's exciting! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:21 pm
I do agree with you Window. It is transparent that Gaia needs to give the guild's a "facelift" because there needs to be attention brought upon the GGN. However, this update needs to be one of many and not something implemented then ignored for a few decades.  

Colinflower

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:37 pm
I think you guys are forgetting something... Even if this is just a face lift... It's still getting attention to the guilds. When the announcement goes official, who wants to bet that many gaians who haven't looked at their guilds in a year or so will come back and look. Really, it's up to us to keep them here anyway.

There's no point in being more negative about this than you already have been. Pessimism is fine, but the negativity in the thread is beginning to get to me. It's great to say you aren't satisfied, since that lets the devs know what we do want, but can we at least have a little less nagging and finger pointing?

Sorry. I hate to sound like a p***k-ish school head-mistress, but this has been bothering me for a while now. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:16 pm
There won't be negativity as long as results are present. If we in fact get an update I will be satisfied. I've learned many lessons in life and one is the fact actions are better then words.  

Colinflower

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 am
Memory -

I'm British, we're renowned for being cynical.

It's 'beginning to get to me' that you all pounce on each 'new update' with such optimism. Gaia has given us as guild crew bugger all!

Aereliya is quite correct, once Gaia gives results rather then empty words then I'll be on side. Actions - do indeed - speak louder then words.

I am ... getting to the very end of my patience with the guild developers, we are told repeatedly that different 'teams' work on different projects so these delays are ... really not understandable.

I'm glad that my frustration is coming across, I am truly sick to the back teeth with the continual calls of 'we're working on it' without any idea at all as to WHEN the 'modifications' will come out.

Either do the updates or don't do the updates but stop messing us all around.

Gaia chose to become a business, when they were just a website I would have been more lenient but ... they made this choice; as a business they are obligated to deliver.

I'm sorry if that sounds confrontational, it's early in the morning.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm
I understand the fact that the teams must run through several stages before releasing. Furthermore, I'm sure there is policies at which releasing is staged and implemented to avoid any issues on Gaia, in general. However, if we see no updates within this week many will question and I will not question. If this all falls through I will loose the last amount of trust in the words of Gaia's staff.  

Colinflower

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:03 pm
Aereliya
I understand the fact that the teams must run through several stages before releasing. Furthermore, I'm sure there is policies at which releasing is staged and implemented to avoid any issues on Gaia, in general. However, if we see no updates within this week many will question and I will not question. If this all falls through I will loose the last amount of trust in the words of Gaia's staff.

Please be assured these changes are happening. I, too, am anxious about the release and have been ready since the code was dev complete in January. However, I must reiterate the guilds code has been untouched for 3 years - the oldest code on the site - and it makes it difficult to patch/change. We have gone through 3 rounds of fixes so the final product will be of the highest quality. Additionally QA has decided to do a beta test over the weekend with the search so that puts us out til next week.

My goal in reaching out to this guild was not to frustrate, but to let you know about the changes that are coming, and gather feedback. When I first reached out, it looked like we would release within a couple weeks, but we had a backlog in QA and another project took pole position.

The devs and QA on this project have worked hard to get this project done, as well as the guilds landing page (next release). The fact that we are at the mercy of the code and QA schedule/process makes it less predictable as to when we will release, but its not because the code/ features are not done.

I ask to keep your faith and trust. I wouldn't put my words out there if I wasn't 100% confident these changes were happening.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:13 pm
I suppose it is a step forward.

I won't speak for every veteran from Gaia - my account's join date is surpassed by the actual date I joined here. However, I've seen the best and worst of Gaia throughout the years. I have to admit there is an increase in Gaia's staff communication which is actually refreshing - kudos on that part. I also have to say you're quite brave to take on a project with so much tension and anticipation built up through so much letdown.

This beta test is probably going to be for the staff only, correct? Or, am I not? I'd like to see the beta test (not test it, per say) but for you to post up any screenshots of it. One of the greatest leaders for testing was Qixter. He did a fantastic job on keeping contact with everyone and showing/telling as much as possible. I was a zETA tester for zOMG. It was one of the best beta tests I have participated in because of his actions. I tested zOMG and Gaia Towns (decades ago). He actually boosted my moral for the Gaia team.

Ultimately, I'm not trying to cause any negativity I just am stating my concern. I do realize I harbor much negativity but it comes with the history I've seen and participated in myself. Anyway, I'm not saying I won't stick around; I hope to see change because I've waited a long time as others have, too.

- Aereliya  

Colinflower

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:19 pm
Aereliya - AFAIK the beta testing is a with a group of users QA uses for many projects. As far as mocks, they are located here in my journal: http://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/journal.php?mode=view&post_id=25983373&u=15269941 what you see there is what the beta testers will see. Note: Only the first mock (New Guilds Search UI) with the guild tags and short description will be in the next release - the guilds landing page is in the next release.

I knew when I started working on this project that guilds had been neglected and there would be some "expression" of that in communicating with the guild community. However, I am a communicator and like to let people know what's going on. But I'm also a bit of a softy so I tend to take criticism a bit harder than most, so this project has helped me to work on that. I will admit that some days it is hard to read some of the feedback and not take it personally, as I have come to love guilds and the guilds community. I started a guild myself not only to feel what guild owners go through, but because I believe in guilds and what they bring to Gaia. I just need to find more time to work on it and recruit some more members biggrin

I appreciate the feedback - positive and negative - for its important to not only know what's not working, but what is working, as well. Thanks for taking the time to participate in this thread.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:20 pm
You, and the rest of the devs on this should be getting gifts and thank you PMs and Comments once it happens. Flooded with really good gifts if Mass Guild PMs come out.

LillianSaire

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:30 am
*goes back to her arduous task of PMing members with a 0 post count*

Awesome, well be sure to let us know how the beta-testing goes.

How are the beta-testers chosen btw? You make it sound like a focus group. How were they chosen?

I'm just curious.

PL  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 am
Pilotslover
*goes back to her arduous task of PMing members with a 0 post count*

Awesome, well be sure to let us know how the beta-testing goes.

How are the beta-testers chosen btw? You make it sound like a focus group. How were they chosen?

I'm just curious.

PL

Not sure how they are chosen. Will see what I can find out!  

wesden

6,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100

Colinflower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:48 am
It doesn't seem very sensible to have a selected audience view the pre-release considering many of us own guilds and should be the ones influencing the overall product you're producing. However, whatever works is fine by myself.

I don't have an opinion on the mock-ups because it honestly doesn't mean very much to myself. Yes, it is a start I will admit - however, I'm looking to see the changes regarding moderator tools for crew/captains. I am also looking for a new UI for guild home pages adding more customization, moderator tools/panel, and guilds forums (well needed). The sub-forums need to be description enabled and more flexible. As far as Mass PMs someone needs to get on that because it was promised too long ago and for us to wait this long is really frustrating to many. I have been studying programming for many years and I know PHP very well. It isn't very difficult to conjure up and certainly shouldn't take two years. Guilds make up a very LARGE amount of Gaia's population and if they're neglected again I don't want to see the amount of Gaia that fades away as if many haven't already.

You have to appeal to your audience or you will loose them. It's almost like a movie.  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff