Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
SEGA, are you trying to piss off Sonic fans? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:11 pm
Teh AK
Furries are always funny.

I rented it. Loved the running stuff to bits, but the rest of the game was ******** torture.

Remember skimming across the water in Dragon Road? That was the BEST.

I myself still find the werehog battles to be decent. I liked striking first with the Nunchuk, so I could clap the enemies at the end of the combo.
xd  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 pm
You know, if they actually did put more time into it (read: a LOT more time), the werehog could be okay.
I just hate that we're forced to play the night levels before we can get to the fun levels....

And like some of the comments on the linked site, the werehog is very NOT Sonic.  

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Fusion_X_ Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm
The game didn't seem that bad to me, never picked it up and played it so I can't voice much of an opinion to it. That werehog thing seemed odd to me though. confused  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:36 pm
Super Cheesio
Waynebrizzle
Super Cheesio
Waynebrizzle
Super Cheesio
Waynebrizzle
So wait. If you guys didn't like the werehog then why did you buy Sonic Unleashed?
Because the daytime levels are SO FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Aren't they just on rails like in Secret Rings though?
NO! Nothing like Secret Rings, and far from on rails!

It seemed just like it from what I played, aside from a few branching paths...
It's not on rails at all though...
All 3D Sonic games have lots of on-rails portions. If they didn't, you'd be running all over, willy-nilly, and it would be an even worse experience. They have to put it on rails in a lot of places. There's nothing wrong with that.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 pm
******** A!!! *********************** YOU SEGA T-T  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:44 pm
dragn99
You know, if they actually did put more time into it (read: a LOT more time), the werehog could be okay.
I just hate that we're forced to play the night levels before we can get to the fun levels....

And like some of the comments on the linked site, the werehog is very NOT Sonic.
I read an interview with someone from Sonic Team, and they put the werehog in because the running portions took up so much disc room, that only having them would make it seem like half a game, because Sonic runs for so many miles a stage. I don't know if they just don't pay attention to their fans or what (they always tout each game as bringing him back to his roots, though) but I would gladly play half a game if it was just running, and no werehog. The slow tedium of beating up the same enemy 100 times per stage as the same monotonous, mediocre music unfittingly trumpeted on was so unbearable that I couldn't even bring myself to give a damn about playing more of Unleashed.

Then again, I didn't think the running levels were all that great. They have yet to replicate the control speed, the fun and the level design seen in SA2, or even SA.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:48 pm
Meta_Fish
Super Cheesio
Waynebrizzle
Super Cheesio
Waynebrizzle

Aren't they just on rails like in Secret Rings though?
NO! Nothing like Secret Rings, and far from on rails!

It seemed just like it from what I played, aside from a few branching paths...
It's not on rails at all though...
All 3D Sonic games have lots of on-rails portions. If they didn't, you'd be running all over, willy-nilly, and it would be an even worse experience. They have to put it on rails in a lot of places. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'd know how that would feel.

You're running, running running, then s**t you run right off the ledge!

It'd be like a Sonic Blooper Reel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:50 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Get it? "On rails?" Heh heh heh  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:34 pm
Meta_Fish
dragn99

I read an interview with someone from Sonic Team, and they put the werehog in because the running portions took up so much disc room, that only having them would make it seem like half a game, because Sonic runs for so many miles a stage. I don't know if they just don't pay attention to their fans or what (they always tout each game as bringing him back to his roots, though) but I would gladly play half a game if it was just running, and no werehog. The slow tedium of beating up the same enemy 100 times per stage as the same monotonous, mediocre music unfittingly trumpeted on was so unbearable that I couldn't even bring myself to give a damn about playing more of Unleashed.

Then again, I didn't think the running levels were all that great. They have yet to replicate the control speed, the fun and the level design seen in SA2, or even SA.
Half a game would be fine with me... I just like going fast.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm
GuruGuru214
Games like this are why my friends and I have decided to call people like me "part of the problem". I knew going in that Shadow the Hedgehog was going to be incredibly mediocre, and I bought it anyway. I knew I was going to have trouble tolerating Sonic and the Secret Rings, and I bought it anyway and got so pissed off at the tutorial that I never touched it again. Now the only reason I haven't bought Sonic Unleashed is money, even though I know I'd be buying it for the daytime levels. Out of all the Sonic games I've bought in the last five years, the only one I've really fully enjoyed was Sonic Rush. Yet I keep giving Sega money.

And the worst part is, I know I'm not the only one paying for mediocre Sonic games out of some kind of masochistic series loyalty.

Anyway, I still maintain that Sega needs to take a lesson from Capcom and Mega Man 9 and release Sonic the Hedgehog 4 on WiiWare and the other download services. Maybe that would get Sonic Team to take a look at their roots and see what made the series work in the first place.

User Image
(In case you don't get it, Sonic and Knuckles is pretty much the sequel to STH3 which makes it the 4th of the series.)  

wariodude128

GuruGuru214

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:18 pm
wariodude128
GuruGuru214
Games like this are why my friends and I have decided to call people like me "part of the problem". I knew going in that Shadow the Hedgehog was going to be incredibly mediocre, and I bought it anyway. I knew I was going to have trouble tolerating Sonic and the Secret Rings, and I bought it anyway and got so pissed off at the tutorial that I never touched it again. Now the only reason I haven't bought Sonic Unleashed is money, even though I know I'd be buying it for the daytime levels. Out of all the Sonic games I've bought in the last five years, the only one I've really fully enjoyed was Sonic Rush. Yet I keep giving Sega money.

And the worst part is, I know I'm not the only one paying for mediocre Sonic games out of some kind of masochistic series loyalty.

Anyway, I still maintain that Sega needs to take a lesson from Capcom and Mega Man 9 and release Sonic the Hedgehog 4 on WiiWare and the other download services. Maybe that would get Sonic Team to take a look at their roots and see what made the series work in the first place.

User Image
(In case you don't get it, Sonic and Knuckles is pretty much the sequel to STH3 which makes it the 4th of the series.)

This is true, but I've always considered Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be one game, even more so after I found out that they were originally intended to be one game and the lock-on cartridge was a result of them having to split it. So Sonic & Knuckles is really just Sonic 3 part 2.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 pm
GuruGuru214
This is true, but I've always considered Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be one game, even more so after I found out that they were originally intended to be one game and the lock-on cartridge was a result of them having to split it. So Sonic & Knuckles is really just Sonic 3 part 2.
I agree. I wish people would play the Sonic Rush games and talk about how good those are, though. People seem to forget all about them and say Sonic needs to go back to his roots.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Trop003

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm
Meta_Fish
I agree. I wish people would play the Sonic Rush games and talk about how good those are, though. People seem to forget all about them and say Sonic needs to go back to his roots.

Didn't someone somewhere say that the original/"good" Sonic games have nothing to do with speed? It's all momentum based gameplay and that the speed was just a result of that. When I played the two Rush games I could really tell that the momentum aspect had been taken out for plain speed as with several of the new Sonic games. (not saying I didn't like Rush but still...)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:24 pm
Trop003
Meta_Fish

Didn't someone somewhere say that the original/"good" Sonic games have nothing to do with speed? It's all momentum based gameplay and that the speed was just a result of that. When I played the two Rush games I could really tell that the momentum aspect had been taken out for plain speed as with several of the new Sonic games. (not saying I didn't like Rush but still...)
That was me. xd Yeah, and I agree. That said, the Rush games were awesome. xd Speed isn't what the original games were all about, because to be honest, there aren't a whole lot of portions where you're running for long periods of time, it's more based on the momentum and ball rolling.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

gutterball29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 pm
Trop003
Meta_Fish

I agree with this, however Sonic has become to be known for his speed, so I guess his games have to resolve around that now. Yet I always thought the Rush games were very well balanced in both aspects.
Also, one of the most annoying things in Sonic games is when you run into a wall and lose all momentum.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff