Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
[Discussion] Guild Economy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:29 am
NomNomNominal
WindowOpener
AtA = Ask the Admin. smile Link to last week's~

What do you mean by starting guild-threads from scratch?

Ahh... okay. I'm obviously showing my green, eh? redface

As for starting guild-threads from scratch, I mean creating a completely new thread in its new subforum home (we're assuming such a subforum is finally created in a perfect world blaugh ). It'll take more effort from the manager(s) of said thread, but a link from the old thread to the new would work. It'd also weed out inactive members in the process.

Green is good! 4laugh heart

Oh, I think I see what you mean. ^^ Not sure what you're saying the benefit is, though - guild-threads do already have their own forum (in fact they have a range of subforums, too... including, for no valid reason, Registered Guilds..). ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:30 am
St._Jimmy
WindowOpener
Also, if you're looking to sell...

I'm in the market for a quality, low-ID guild, am prepared to offer my entire share portfolio.

exactly how low an ID do you want, my lowest is ID_109, and I will soon be getting much lower. surprised

Oh, I was joking with that. xd heart But I'm curious now! What's the low-ID you're expecting? I'm not actually in the market, but I'm interested in these things xD  

WindowOpener

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:12 pm
WindowOpener
NomNomNominal
WindowOpener
AtA = Ask the Admin. smile Link to last week's~

What do you mean by starting guild-threads from scratch?

Ahh... okay. I'm obviously showing my green, eh? redface

As for starting guild-threads from scratch, I mean creating a completely new thread in its new subforum home (we're assuming such a subforum is finally created in a perfect world blaugh ). It'll take more effort from the manager(s) of said thread, but a link from the old thread to the new would work. It'd also weed out inactive members in the process.

Green is good! 4laugh heart

Oh, I think I see what you mean. ^^ Not sure what you're saying the benefit is, though - guild-threads do already have their own forum (in fact they have a range of subforums, too... including, for no valid reason, Registered Guilds..). ninja

Well, the benefit goes back to having 3 separate forums/subforums that are guild-related: one for guild-threads, one for guild advertisements, and one for discussions about GGN.... instead of the 2 very messy ones we currently have.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 pm
WindowOpener
Whoa, be careful with some of those sweeping statements, Jimmy. xd I'm not sure how you measure "respect" but I wonder what fraction of Gaia's populace ever even knew about guild trading to respect it or not!

Your note basically lists "noobs" offering big discounts and the introduction of Clans as the causes of the guild 'economy' fallout. This is partially true, although I don't really agree with you guys looking down your nose at people who sold guilds more cheaply than you. sweatdrop It's called competition!

Actually, on the surface it is, but I'd suggest the reality is linked to the timeline - the bigger discounts started rolling in around late-'07 you say, which fits in with the idea that inflation contributed to 20k being worth "less" than ever before. That's why the newer guild sellers could afford to just toss out their guilds when they got bored. This was when the staff's intention to tie people to their guilds with a serious upfront investment started to unravel.

So really, the culprit is inflation. smile The "stupid noobs" saw it happening and took advantage of it, and made the small circle of traders who had always considered themselves elite look like greedy slow-witted fools, before the mini-economy finally fell through. By the time Clans arrived - basically, free guilds where a one-per-person limit is balanced with a tenuous link to zOMG! - guild prices had pretty much hit the bottom.

That's my take on it. XP As an outsider who watched but didn't play, of course. Ya'll free to disagree. XD

How is it competition when you cant resell because prices are to low, thats not competition, that stupidity.

Inflation did have a part to do in it, but if the "stupid noobs" hadnt taken advantage of it then they could be making decent profit. So the inflation only affected the guild market because the noobs abused it, therefor, once again, the noobs are to blame.

I cant say the same about Galvatron, but im not a slow witted, greedy fool completely. mrgreen  

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:02 pm
WindowOpener
St._Jimmy
WindowOpener
Also, if you're looking to sell...

I'm in the market for a quality, low-ID guild, am prepared to offer my entire share portfolio.

exactly how low an ID do you want, my lowest is ID_109, and I will soon be getting much lower. surprised

Oh, I was joking with that. xd heart But I'm curious now! What's the low-ID you're expecting? I'm not actually in the market, but I'm interested in these things xD

Accually my friend is negotiating a price on 71 and 72 for me, while I am working on 98. blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 am
St._Jimmy
How is it competition when you cant resell because prices are to low, thats not competition, that stupidity.

Price wars happen all the time in the real world, and it never does either competitor any good to get bitter and call the other party stupid for giving their customers lower prices.

Either the 'stupid noobs' were so eager to undercut the guild traders they didn't care whether they profited or not; or they were just so eager to get rid of their guilds they didn't care whether they profited or not.

Either way, selling cheaply was a good thing for the buyers, and if the traders wanted to keep their handsome profit margins, then wasn't the burden on them to find a way to do it? Turns out they failed to find a way, and now they blame the other sellers. Doesn't that sound.. rich? sweatdrop

St._Jimmy
Inflation did have a part to do in it, but if the "stupid noobs" hadnt taken advantage of it then they could be making decent profit. So the inflation only affected the guild market because the noobs abused it, therefor, once again, the noobs are to blame.

'Abuse' is a strong word, especially as "abusing" inflation just means selling for lower prices than the last guy, and this happens everyday in the vend. But I can see your point here, Jimmy. If the stupid noobs had only kept their prices high like you and the other guild traders were doing, you'd all be making more gold. That'd be great for the half-dozen of you who did this regularly, but the buyers would seriously have lost out. Ultimately we'll disagree Jimmy because I think it's a very good thing that nobody has to pay 20k for a basically new guild anymore. Guilds aren't worth it - there are too many of them. Supply and demand.

Prices were always going to come down. ^^  

WindowOpener

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm
WindowOpener
St._Jimmy

Price wars happen all the time in the real world, and it never does either competitor any good to get bitter and call the other party stupid for giving their customers lower prices.

Either the 'stupid noobs' were so eager to undercut the guild traders they didn't care whether they profited or not; or they were just so eager to get rid of their guilds they didn't care whether they profited or not.

Either way, selling cheaply was a good thing for the buyers, and if the traders wanted to keep their handsome profit margins, then wasn't the burden on them to find a way to do it? Turns out they failed to find a way, and now they blame the other sellers. Doesn't that sound.. rich? sweatdrop

St._Jimmy

'Abuse' is a strong word, especially as "abusing" inflation just means selling for lower prices than the last guy, and this happens everyday in the vend. But I can see your point here, Jimmy. If the stupid noobs had only kept their prices high like you and the other guild traders were doing, you'd all be making more gold. That'd be great for the half-dozen of you who did this regularly, but the buyers would seriously have lost out. Ultimately we'll disagree Jimmy because I think it's a very good thing that nobody has to pay 20k for a basically new guild anymore. Guilds aren't worth it - there are too many of them. Supply and demand.

Prices were always going to come down. ^^

I found a way guild traders could turn profits once more, im just angry because of the loss im going to be taking on my guilds, as will many others.

I think we are talking about two different groups of people.

I understand it iand it if users wanted to just "get rid" of there guilds, there has always been people like that. Im reffering to the "Newer" guild traders who started buying multiple guilds ata time from people who just wanted to get rid of them, then reselling them for 2-5k more then what they baught it for, the newer guild traders made the market what it is by not knowing what they could accually get for a guild, there for having lack of knowledge.

Stupid = 1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang. excellent; terrific.

I was using stupid for more then just one meaning.

So it is the "newer" guild traders who ruined it, as I said in my entry, because they took advantage of inflation, the low prices by people just wating there guild gone, and a quick 2k-5k.

Before I left gaia 7 months ago, I saw guild traders buying guilds for 10k, then turning around and selling them for 12k-13k right off the bat.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:14 pm
St._Jimmy
I found a way guild traders could turn profits once more, im just angry because of the loss im going to be taking on my guilds, as will many others.

I understand it iand it if users wanted to just "get rid" of there guilds, there has always been people like that. Im reffering to the "Newer" guild traders who started buying multiple guilds ata time from people who just wanted to get rid of them, then reselling them for 2-5k more then what they baught it for, the newer guild traders made the market what it is by not knowing what they could accually get for a guild, there for having lack of knowledge.

2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.

So it is the "newer" guild traders who ruined it, as I said in my entry, because they took advantage of inflation, the low prices by people just wating there guild gone, and a quick 2k-5k.

Before I left gaia 7 months ago, I saw guild traders buying guilds for 10k, then turning around and selling them for 12k-13k right off the bat.

Sure, they could be making more profit, and yes, maybe some of them don't know that. But some surely do. And regardless, it's not necessarily stupid. It had to happen.

With tens of thousands of guilds floating around and little meaningful increase in demand, prices had to drop. Even if everyone knew exactly what guilds 'used' to be worth (and remember that was pretty arbitrary itself) and stubbornly kept their prices high, that would not have kept the value of guilds at that level. It would just have meant steadily decreasing sales.

It's the buyers, not the sellers, that pulled the value down.  

WindowOpener

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:33 pm
WindowOpener
St._Jimmy

Sure, they could be making more profit, and yes, maybe some of them don't know that. But some surely do. And regardless, it's not necessarily stupid. It had to happen.

With tens of thousands of guilds floating around and little meaningful increase in demand, prices had to drop. Even if everyone knew exactly what guilds 'used' to be worth (and remember that was pretty arbitrary itself) and stubbornly kept their prices high, that would not have kept the value of guilds at that level. It would just have meant steadily decreasing sales.

It's the buyers, not the sellers, that pulled the value down.

I see what your saying, but I still have resentment towards the newer guild traders.

They should have paid more attention to other people, and read through the available guides, and there were MANY out there.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 pm
Conan The Barbie Doll
Free guilds? My goodness. eek I hope that doesn't happen!

User Image imagine that ~
it will be horrible hundreds of guilds being created per day  

Silent elf

Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out