Scythe is a lonely man. He works for the Global Defence Agency, going where he needs to and killing who must be killed, but he does it entirely alone. He has no back up team, ready to rush in if he needs supplies or aid. He never needs supplies or aid, so it is never an issue. Living in solitude in the bowels of an underground government facility and working alone on missions that take him everywhere have dulled his social skills, if he ever had any, and making friends is not his strong point. He never relaxes around anyone, and no one has ever made him crack a smile or chuckle.
One man, however, seems destined to try for his entire unnatural life.
His name is Sine. He is a developmental android who believes that his sole purpose in life, as a living being, is to break the front of hard stone that blocks Scythe from expressing his feelings and being, pardon the pun, a “lady-killer”. According to Sine, several of the females that work for the GDA speak about the mysterious character that is Scythe. They view him as a powerful and bold representative of everything that a man can possibly be and, more importantly, as someone they can change. Sine says he once overhead a group of females discussing ways they might be able to coax the young reptilian out of his shell.
No woman has ever approached Scythe with these attempts, but Sine says that if he were only a little more encouraging he would have women falling at his feet. Scythe has, many times in fact, told the android to leave his love life alone, but, for some reason, the robotic humanoid only tries all the harder. On several occasions, Scythe has thrown the annoying non-human across the room, only to have the machine get up and say things along the lines of “That is your first problem: You push away those who want to help you.”
Today was one of those days that the android did NOT want to argue about Scythe’s mannerisms. He did, however, need to speak.
When the elevator doors slid open, the five-foot brown-haired fat man that Sine was built to resemble stood there, holding a large stack of papers to his chest. When the pudgy little man looked up to his quarry there in front of him, the pseudo man smiled up at his “friend”.
“Ahh, Scythe! Just the man I wanted to see.”
“I’m not in the mood for another dossier of a middle-aged woman in the Korean Facility, all right.” The tall man said, elbowing Sine aside and stepping into the elevator to push the button marked “G”.
“Going up top? Good, good, there is something that the brass want you to look at. Apparently something is going to crash into the middle of New York Square. We need you to be there in about twenty-five minutes.”
“I’m not an astronomer.” The elevator began to glide smoothly upwards. “What am I needed for?”
“By all accounts,” Sine said, “the UFO is an organic being.” He held up some of the papers. “Silicon-based, insectoid, and coming in VERY hot. If it hits, we are talking some major damage. By my calculations, the object will hit with the force of a small Nuclear warhead, without the radioactive backwash.”
“So…..Why am I going?” Scythe said, turning his hidden face to stare at Sine. The little droid grinned up at the non-human.
“Because we need you to find out why it’s slowing down.”
Scythe sighed, then reached for the stack of papers. “How much time do I have. I need to get a drink first.”

It was the middle of the day, so people were often traveling between floors, carrying notes, memo’s, intelligence reports, etcetera, so Scythe would find himself often retreating as far as back as possible in the elevator car. The people getting on would throw him glances and whisper, and then get off with several backwards glances.
Thirty years, and still he was feared.
Scythe cared little. He had given up fighting for “acceptance“, and he settled for “left alone“. So he didn’t give the bigots second glances. When he reached the top floor, he walked calmly through the tide of people who waited at the door, and made his way for the exit.
He went through the secondary exit. It let out into the three story parking garage: , one at street level, one below street level, and one above street level. Scythe’s car was located on the bottom, which is where is where the exit let out. He made his way over to the dark green camaro-style vehicle; it resembled a body type from the 1980’s, but it was state-of-the-art. It could travel speeds up to 200 miles an hour, could fall from large heights without taking damage, and a train could hit it dead in the side and not hurt the driver. It handled like a dream and even had an interface for an artificial intelligence unit, allowing a computer to drive you to your destination for you. It was one of the only things that could crack Scythe’s fortress of cold, icy indifference, and bring a soft smile to his usually frowning countenance. After all, he had built it from scratch.
The Lizardman pretending to be human walked over to the vehicle, opened it with his outdated keys, and started it’s loud, purring engine. Today’s cars were silent, and their tires crept up on unsuspecting pedestrians with murderous intention, stalking like a wild animal. Not with this one. This vehicle sounded like it had an actual combustion engine, right down to the vibrating engine compartment and revving accelerator. Scythe patted the steering-wheel affectionately, then drove off.