Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why are you unafraid of dying? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:34 pm
MightyHikaru
Alright, here we go again. So, you made an assumption on my comment on irrationality, right? And an erroneous one, too. I never said that they can't feel emotions (again). I am aware that the feel when a member of the pack dies and all that. But if you go back again to my post, you see that, right after saying that animals (other than humans, by the way) are irrational, they have no concept of life and death. They know that they're living and they know when one of them dies. But they can't rationalize that one day they'll end up six feet under. So, how the hell can they fear something they don't know about?

Now, I assume that when you go around pretenting to be a fox, you'd sure wish to be one. But maybe that's just presumptuous of me. Apologies all around.

Nah, humans are not perfect. Not by the standarts we've set, at least -- that standart is god. All mighty, omnipotent, omniscient, omnicontradictive. We are not perfect, so we created god. And the concept of heaven is hardly an attempt to make humans feel superior to other animals; heaven was created BECAUSE of man's fear of death (or even, fear of the unknown).

Oh!, and silly me. If EVERYBODY else likes the way you write, I should like it too, right? Or maybe they're just being polite. Who knows. Let's just say I'm not very much of imitating the pack.

If I was face to face with you right now I would take something to that thick head of yours for insulting me as a Fox Fur. I don't go around pretending to be like a fox. Don't make comments that you have no facts to back up.

You don't understand the Furrie sub-culture, so don't insult it! There are enough Gaians around spewwing a bunch of lies about us without some one like you using what you deem as sacrastic slurs to attempt to make you're self look better. It doesn't work.

I have yet to insult you in my other post so don't you go making sarcastic a** remarks about my being a fox fur unless you want me as an enemy. It is not funny, it is not nice, and I find it very insulting.

You keep trying to take what I say and turn in around, but that doesn't suprise me, most EDers do the same thing, which is why I don't frequant that Troll Paradise.

If you don't mean to say something, don't type something that gives the opposite idea of what you intend to say. It is commen sense...learn it, or look at the second picture in my signature.

There are many people who write as I do. It is easier on the eyes. Unfortunately Trolls find the style easier to rip apart posts and quote them with nasty saying and one word sentances after them. Then again, you really are arrogent are you?

You think that homo sapiens created fake gods because of fear of death? I'm afraid it is the other way around Hikaru.

The creation of a God, of heavens, and hells came through human ability to think. We didn't understand the world around us, so the idea of a Divine Creator was the easiest why to ease our ever-growing minds.

Our minds are complex. Does that mean just because we have the ability to do something that we should?

You don't go to a nearby bridge and set off dynamite just because you have extra explosives left over after demolition of an old building. Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you act upon it.

The ability to think and build makes us worse. Yet maybe that is the way it is meant to be. Perhaps it is a natural mechanism to cleanse the earth and start over. Maybe every few periods or so in this Planets history, there exists an arrogent and destructive race of creature that wipes out everything on the planet along with themselves to allow for the next generation to spread out and fill in the old niches.

Maybe that is why we exist....to destroy life to make way for new life.

In most all horrer movies the people don't fear death. It seems like they fear the pain of being ripped apart by a creature/monster. Being shot open by gunfire and lying there waiting for death is another example.

I think the fear of death is actually the fear of pain. Not the fear of what happens after your body ceases to exist, and you vision bleeds into black and white.

It is what happens before death actually occurs, not after which inspires this abstract fear.

In the animal world this is no room for such fear, because anything dead is quickly consumed. Anything gravely injured in quickly slain and eaten.

The only animals that truelly are eaten alive, or have such time to ponder that fear are insects....such as tarantulas that are targeted by a parasite wasp who stings the predator with a parlyzing toxin, lays her larvie in it's paralyzed body after dragging in into a burrow so that it can be a feast for her young.

So far to my knowledge the only insect that shows characterstics that humans call intelligence are Bees who have deep cognitive maps, and complex communiation system to tell other bees where they found food. Bees are not subject to prolonged suffering followed by death...so they do not apply.

So even if animals did have the the ability to express behaviors to us arrogent humans that they understand the concept of death, it is unlikely they would have time to "Feel" the "Fear"

Humans create the fear by eliminating the natural elements around them. Humanity created room for the fear of death by eliminating the predators that can prey upon them. If you are injured in an accident, then you go to a hospital and you might get better. If savaged by a crocodile you're leg can be amputated and live a less than normal life.

Yet any animal that does dare prey upon Humanity is delt with revenge. We feel the concept of revenge for the death of a member of our pack.

In ancient Australia there existed a massive reptile that could consume a horse and still be hungry. That ancient creature found humans to be easy prey.

What it didn't know was that the spindly, upright walking creatures with sharp sticks are vengeful and beyond natural intelligence. One among the tribes noticed that smaller moniter lizards were not active during the early morning hours. They concluded that they could attack the huge reptile during the early morning hours and that the large reptile would be defenseless to defend itself.

They burned the vegitation surrounding the reptiles and sent them into exinction.

The Haasts Eagle was so big and powerful it could snatch a full grown man from the ground and lift it with it's talons into the sky and to it's nest. Competiton with it's prey item (A large bipedal, flightless bird) sent it into exinction. Who created that competiton? Humans of course are the culprit there.

When humans overhunted the Mammoths, they were the cause of exinction for several large carnivorous mammels that also hunted the huge woolly elephents.

Little by Little humans began to destory everything natural around them. Therefore today we live in less then natural settings. Our environment is artificial and therefore created room for "feelings" that are not natural. Fear of Death is not natural, but Death is. Now do you get my drift Hikaru?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 pm
Am I the only person who thinks this is getting a little out of hand?

User Image

sorry to butt in, but it has to be said. Personally, I both agree and disagree a little with both of you. And if this conversation hadn't taken the negative tone that it did, I would keep my nose out of it and just watch. Unfortunatly I feel the need to say something, as I get enough of that kind of negativity from the theists.

of course, if you don't want me interrupting then you can just ignore me. I'm not trying to start any arguments, nor will I respond in kind to any responses to this post. Just...well, I've said my peace.  

Orichalcon

MightyHikaru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:54 pm
Yeah, you're right, Orichalcon. I didn't mean for it to get this big. And, Sanguvixen, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend your furries culture or anything.

Anywho, back to the actual topic. You keep saying the same things about how we are destroying the planet and I keep agreeing with you. The only problem is the fear of death... which is how this whole mess started in the first place. You can go on and on about how animals don't fear death for whatever reason, but I said it already, they can't rationalize the concept of a lifetime-- we can.

So, to us, death is the unknown. And that's why we created god -- not only to "explain" death, but a lot of other things we don't/didn't understand. In the ancient days, a lightening storm happened because Zeus was pissed of because some dumbass forgot to make his daily sacrifices. The seas were raging because Poseidon was PMSing. Or anything like that.

Talking as someone that does fear death, I tell you, it is not fear of pain (well, not only that). Death is the end, like I already said. I wouldn't want this to end, but I won't live forever. It's innevitable, but it sucks. You say that feelings like fear of death came with nowadays machinery and the withdrawal from nature, but I beg to differ. I'm pretty damn sure that even the cavemen were scare to death of the monsters outside the cave. Yes, death is natural. But so can fear of it be natural too. You fear that the hurricanes might strike your house. With that you're afraid of both the hurricane and death (your own, and probably your relative's), both natural.

(And I can't read your second picture... it's cut out. "My fellow Gaians: think before you speak ------------") (Oh, and leave my sarcasm alone >_< )  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:48 am
I'm not afraid of death because I personally believe once your dead, your dead, and the only remnants of you even existing is your rotting body. I don't knoow if anyone else feels this way sometimes, but I constantly feel like there's no wy I can die, and that I'm immortal. I know its crazy, I guess I jsut can't picture myself dying, especially from a disease or something.  

Tiptoer

AdamV2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:12 pm
What's the point of being afraid of something you know will happen?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:05 pm
WhiteWarrior

A good quote. I shall have to remember it.  

[Lucas]

E_Night

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:16 pm
after reading all that i think you were being a bit of an a** Hikaru.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:46 pm
E_Night
after reading all that i think you were being a bit of an a** Hikaru.
I couldn't. It's pointless to argue opinions.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

subtleessence134

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:47 pm
I'm not afraid of death. I simply know that I still have things to do in life; so I cannot resign myself to the abyss just yet. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:05 pm
I feel that death is going to happen whether I want it to or not. Being afraid of it would be senseless, because it's unavoidable. It's how I die that I'm more concerned with. The actual being dead part doesn't phase me.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

Triangular Dice

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:07 pm
I'm not afraid of dying because, like Dumbledore said, Dying is the next great adventure, which I wholeheartedly agree with...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:47 pm
Why sould I be afraid? I've lived my life the way I've wanted to live it, and am satisfied. That's all there is to it. Live, have a good time, try not to be an a*****e, and die. That's all I'm trying to do. I think there might be more after death, though-- I believe there are such things as spirtits, even if I'm not sure whether or not they were once human; and I'm currently speculating on the reincarnation bit. But in the meantime, I'll keep living, and try not to add on anymore stress.  

ChocoChan

To Escape Detection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:34 pm
Like hell I'm unafraid. I'm scared shitless of dying, 'cause I know nothing's there. I figure that the only way I'm gonna make my life worth something is if I'm remembered and written in the history books, and striving toward that goal is pretty much the only thing that gets me up in the morning. I didn't choose atheism because it was convenient, and truth comes at a cost to your sanity. I now use most of my spare time learning everything I can about science with the resources I have. If I don't kick a** and get up there like at least Rutherford, someone's gonna have to pop a few prozac in me.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:32 am
WhiteWarrior

If you're being held at gunpoint and the guy says, "I'm going to rape you now", I think you'd be scared, eventhough you know what's going to happen -- I know I would.  

MightyHikaru

punkinside

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:14 am
MightyHikaru
WhiteWarrior

If you're being held at gunpoint and the guy says, "I'm going to rape you now", I think you'd be scared, eventhough you know what's going to happen -- I know I would.

Because you would automatically try to save yourself and try to get out of that situation...to stay alive....but if you knew you had a deadly illness and that you are dying...u wouldn't be that scared... exclaim  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff