Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Allegro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:14 pm
Kuzodav
Allegro
Kuzodav
Allegro
Sean, the issue is that it's being sold for a different price. A used game, even a gently used one, that Gamestop gets from a consumer, is priced down and thrown in the used pile. When a Gamestop employee uses a game gently, it gets sold for a higher price, despite the fact that it's been used as much as the other game.

That's called fraud.

O= Don't take the game if it's not in a plastic-cover thing that all new games come in?!
They can replace that. Shocking, I know.

I'm sure gamestop has direct control over how the games are sealed, totally, and each shop has their own re-sealer machine for all the games that the employees borrow.
Not specifically for that purpose, no, but shops do have to have those in case the plastic gets damaged during shipping.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:15 pm
Allegro
Meta_Fish
I know it's wrong, and I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying that I don't see the big difference in buying a game used and not buying it used. Unless there was a huge difference, I'd go with the used game every time. That's all I'm saying.
True, but the issue is that you don't know what's used and what isn't now. If I'm buying an older game, like, say, Wind Waker, I'm going to try and buy new, because older copies will probably be heavily used by this point. But what if it's a pre-played game being marketed as used?
Well, we're talking about different levels of used, now. And finding a new copy of Windwaker at any EBGames/top would be a near-impossible task anyway. It's a rip-off yes, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how I would buy a game that's a few bucks cheaper if it was used, because there's not a huge difference, unless, like you said, it's five years old.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:16 pm
Kuzodav
Allegro
Kuzodav
Allegro
Sean, the issue is that it's being sold for a different price. A used game, even a gently used one, that Gamestop gets from a consumer, is priced down and thrown in the used pile. When a Gamestop employee uses a game gently, it gets sold for a higher price, despite the fact that it's been used as much as the other game.

That's called fraud.

O= Don't take the game if it's not in a plastic-cover thing that all new games come in?!

I'm sure gamestop has direct control over how the games are sealed, totally, and each shop has their own re-sealer machine for all the games that the employees borrow.
That's the thing. We buy from gamestop, because we don't have another place to go. They take the games out of the cases to put cases on display and put them in sleeves. Did you read the article or are you trolling now? Because this is serious for me. If I've been paying extra money for used games, I'm going to be pretty pissed.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:17 pm
Meta_Fish
Allegro
Meta_Fish
I know it's wrong, and I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying that I don't see the big difference in buying a game used and not buying it used. Unless there was a huge difference, I'd go with the used game every time. That's all I'm saying.
True, but the issue is that you don't know what's used and what isn't now. If I'm buying an older game, like, say, Wind Waker, I'm going to try and buy new, because older copies will probably be heavily used by this point. But what if it's a pre-played game being marketed as used?
Well, we're talking about different levels of used, now. And finding a new copy of Windwaker at any EBGames/top would be a near-impossible task anyway. It's a rip-off yes, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how I would buy a game that's a few bucks cheaper if it was used, because there's not a huge difference, unless, like you said, it's five years old.
I know, bad example. razz
And I find that a lot of the games the EB/GS stocks used are in pretty poor condition. Always keep a receipt from them before you boot the game up.  

Allegro

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:23 pm
This topic really makes you think, sweatdrop cause like I bought the world ends with you and Izuna 2 the same day I got my DSi. Izuna was still in the plastic wrappings but not The World ends. But it still seemed new when it started, and plays just fine.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 pm
Allegro
Kuzodav
Allegro
Kuzodav
Allegro

That's called fraud.

Not specifically for that purpose, no, but shops do have to have those in case the plastic gets damaged during shipping.

Oh, yes, totally.
Because if it's damaged, they're just going to sell it, get a replacement ******** that, they're gamestop, they're evil.
I mean, This one time, I bought a game 'new' rom there, and there was a p***s shaped scratch on the disc. I mean really, what's up with that?  

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

Allegro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm
Kuzodav

Oh, yes, totally.
Because if it's damaged, they're just going to sell it, get a replacement ******** that, they're gamestop, they're evil.
I mean, This one time, I bought a game 'new' rom there, and there was a p***s shaped scratch on the disc. I mean really, what's up with that?
The disc just got cool

I don't even understand what your argument is here, Sean. Are you denying that it's happening, or its impact?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:58 pm
I thought this was common knowledge. My brother works there and he checks s**t out all the time. I'm positive they've even sold me something used as new before. It kinda pisses me off, but hey, I can just go to Wal-Mart for better quality products. Kinda funny, huh?  

Waynebrizzle

-Hel the Reaper-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 pm
Kuzodav

YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND, FISH.
YOUR SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE THE ONLY SYSTEM THE GAME HAS EVER BEEN IN OR IT RUINS THE SANCTITY!
God, you're such a dummy.
Any 'disc' is not just a 'disc'.
Somebody else has TOUCHED it!
Why would you even want it then?!

Rofl, best comment in this thread.

Yeah, my boss was talking about this today, I haven't checked out any new games myself but my co-workers do. I never really had a problem with it because I know they're all responsible and take care of the games they play. But now that I think about it I understand why people would be uber pissed about this, I'm sure there are a lot of assholes at other stores that would check it out, scratch it somehow and still try to sell it as new.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:36 pm
The real difference between buying new and buying used is who the profits go to. You buy new and money from your purchase goes to the company who worked on the game. You buy used and Nintendo or whoever doesn't see a dime, and Gamestop makes a profit. I mentioned people like myself who are "part of the problem" for buying games like Shadow the Hedgehog, knowing they're bad, and knowing that buying the game only encourages them to make more. Buying used could be a way for those who absolutely must to play the game without supporting more bad games. Of course, then you're feeding the Gamestop beast, but you've gotta decide which is the lesser of two evils.

I don't buy games all that often anyway, and when I do it's usually at the Target across the parking lot from Gamestop. I camped outside that Target for 8 extra hours until they opened at 8 AM to get my Wii. Of course, I did buy a new copy of Trace Memory from Gamestop earlier that day...  

GuruGuru214

Allegro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:39 pm
GuruGuru214
The real difference between buying new and buying used is who the profits go to. You buy new and money from your purchase goes to the company who worked on the game. You buy used and Nintendo or whoever doesn't see a dime, and Gamestop makes a profit. I mentioned people like myself who are "part of the problem" for buying games like Shadow the Hedgehog, knowing they're bad, and knowing that buying the game only encourages them to make more. Buying used could be a way for those who absolutely must to play the game without supporting more bad games. Of course, then you're feeding the Gamestop beast, but you've gotta decide which is the lesser of two evils.

This post wins so hard.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:42 pm
FFFFUUU- *raged*  

Cattra Nightblade

Pxlated

Aged Fairy

12,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle: Level Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:51 pm
>..> I don't like buying new games from gamestop that don't have the factory sealed-plastic wrapping.
Target ftw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:00 pm
So thats why some games I bought new have small scratches or don't work sometimes.
Bastards  

0Toon-Link0

Buddha_Cat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:36 pm
I almost always buy my games used.

I ask for used copies at the desk, so I know I'm getting the used game price.

That and the fact that almost all I buy at EB Games is second hand GBA games for like 12 bucks.

Ugh.

I hate it so much though, I buy a second hand DS game, and go to pay for it.

Buddy goes to package the game.

"Oh, don't put that plastic sticker to seal the package please, I'm going to open it right away."

Buddy ******** looks RIGHT at me, doesn't say a word, and PUTS the sticker on while I'm watching him.

What a little b***h.

'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces