Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Things for you to really think about. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What are your thoughts after reading this?
  I MUST HELP THE POOR, NOW!!!!!!
  Oh my god....that is so sad...T_T
  *sob* *sniff* T_T Don't disturb me..I'm crying
  speechless...
  meh I feel nothing (-_- I'll kill whoever chose this)
  gold
  other
View Results

Darek Khort

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:53 am
I agree slightly with Tokioka and Minielf that it isn't OUR fault that those people live in poverty.
We don't HAVE to do anything for them.

However, for those who do I believe even donating to save one child is good.
However, that then leads on to the question of how that one child is going to survive and prosper.
Like some old chinese proverb says, Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for one day, teach the man how to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime (or something like that).

The problem is that people who donate usually only donate enough for a child to have food and clean water for a month/etc. You'll have to keep on donating to them, and as they get used to the food they'll want more.
They become lazy because they are used to getting food by themselves and because (most probably) their parents are dead and so they don't have anybody to teach them how to grow up and live properly (and even if their parents are alive, their parents most probably don't know either).

They need education, espicially in places like Africa they need to remove those politicians, officials and other authoritative figures who steal money from the people and aid money; and just spend it on themselves.
In fact if all African countries, plus countries in other devestated regions actually placed most of the money except for any NECESSARY for them to have an okay lifestyle were spent on the people, those nations' people would be far better off.
You see politicians in Africa in limousines, with diamond rings, Giorgio Armani suits and heaps of bodyguards and great 'Parliment' buildings and estates in other countries (and a lot of money in Switz banks); and then you look everywhere else and all you see is poverty!

So in my view the main people at fault are authoritative figures who do not give back to the community and do what they are supposed to do.
And I'm not only criticizing African figures. I mean (correct me if I'm wrong), but last year George Bush arrived in Australia for one night only as a stop point to go to another country.
How much did Australians have to pay? A total of over $50 million (I think it was far more than that) for his jetplane and hotel/etc.

Now that $50 million+ could have been used to build up and secure a whole region in Africa of poverty. The tax the American government collects from Microsoft alone is enough to feed hundreds of thousands of Africans (let alone the amount Microsoft already donates in it's own charity).

So I blame authoritative figures & their handling of the current situation of poverty.
I therefore do not believe it is our responsibility or our fault that there are poor people in this world. There always will be.
And if there isn't transparency in the transfer of money to help the poor and a good system to manage it; nothing will change.

------

If you criticize everybody of being greedy/etc; why don't you donate everything you and your family has to the poor? Cause hey, if they can live on the streets; so can you. But in turn, you'd be saving a hundred or so people; whilst giving up on your own material happiness, yes?
But of course you wouldn't; which is why nobody should accuse another individual of being at fault UNLESS the money they are spending or keeping was supposed to be used to help the community.

All money politics/etc get are supposed to be given back to the community in one way or the other (besides around $120,000 or so per year for themselves to pay for their job).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:40 am
this is so sad I'm gonna cry!* tears start to form I feel like my hearts gonna break I ahve to fidn a way to help the people in any way I can!  

kyoslove74

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First step to fame 200

mikotan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:09 am
there are always problems like this no matter how much i donate crying  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:45 am
you really have ot see who you are doanting to when you do...because a lot of people and organizations take the money for themselves or misuse it and waste it. Sometime not even half the money you donate is used to help the poor  

Status_Undisclosed

kyoslove74

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:13 am
Status_Undisclosed
you really have ot see who you are doanting to when you do...because a lot of people and organizations take the money for themselves or misuse it and waste it. Sometime not even half the money you donate is used to help the poor

your right about that soem peopel are selfish and what the money for themselves  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:18 am
Meh. I aint doing nothing. rolleyes

Some people at my school are selling these wristbands to raise money for the british heart foundation. They were trying to make me buy one by guilt tripping me but needless to say, I didn't buy one.  

Tokioka

[Monchhichi]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:01 pm
Tokioka
Meh. I aint doing nothing. rolleyes

Some people at my school are selling these wristbands to raise money for the british heart foundation. They were trying to make me buy one by guilt tripping me but needless to say, I didn't buy one.

my skool sells those livestrong bracelets to support themselves...so selfish...  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff