Performance or Education
  Performance
  Education
  Unsure
View Results

Elektric_Sugar_Pop

Fashionable Shopper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:00 pm
I'm doing education because 1, you don't need a degree to play in amazing symphonies or orchestras, you just need to be AMAZING 2, it's the same thing as a performance degree just with a few extra education classes and less private lesson hours required(but if you're a music major, practicing should not be an issue anyway) 3, if you end your education after 4 years it is easier to get jobs at high schools as staff or a director compared to people who get the performance degree because you would be a "teacher" and you weren't required to take the education classes as a "performance" major(you can still be a private teacher w/ a performance degree and teach at private schools/elementary schools/jr high probably but it's risky 4. you can major in music ed for your 4 years of college if you are furthering your education after that and can eventually get a doctoral degree in "Performance" which means you would have Music ed AND Performance(best of both worlds!)

I know these things because I was actually going to be a performance major because I didn't even think about the doctoral degree in performance. I asked myself, which one to major in and I got all of those answers as to WHY I should do music ed now.
I eventually want to have my doctoral degrees in double reeds and performance, be a double reeds professor at a college, be in a well reknown symphony/ensembles, and teach privately.
That is what I'm pursuing now!

Hope I helped someone because I had the same delimma a few months ago! wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am
may i suggest that you do the BA in Music route. you can still perform and in many places you can do the private lessons since you dont see yourself directing an ensemble  

Zidane of the Wildfire

Heroic Guardian

14,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Tycoon 200

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:57 am
Whoah, I did not know you needed a PhD to teach at university level. My instructor has at most her masters and just a stellar rapport (having been one of those child prodigy thingies), and even my adviser said that what most expected of teacher/performer (which I think she was referring to those at the school) is a Master's degree.

In any case I'm SURE the op has come to a decision by now,or this would be the most tragic case of prolonged indecision. In any route I say if you have to go for advance degrees get it in Admin or something. All the notable universities with respectable music programs offer special performance certificates (you don't need a Master's in it...that part should show once you start playing) wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 am
just do wat feels right if you r a good teacher than do edu. if its hard yo explain, but ur music is beautiful than do performance. I personally would do edu b/c kids would be amazed at how good you could play.  

blondmonkey909

High-functioning Snack

5,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
College Music Chat

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers