Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Most Discriminated Aginst? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:06 pm
Nardone
Me growing up in a white catholic community.. YES I HAVE BEEN.. iv had people say it to my face.. so i just laugh at them and say "atleast i dont believe in a talking dead guy" i really do think atheists are the most discriminated.. then the jews..
but the stereotype of atheist is that we are all terrible immoral people who could kill someone with a smile on our face.. or atleast it is in my town.. but thats so obviously not true.. if anything were just people who can just relax and not worry about the world.. but really i think the stereotype just comes from like maybe.. 2 or 3 atheist murderers who set a stereotype.. but then again.. the church has a reputation for practically brainwashing people.. at this point in history.. its no longer a stereotype for them..
... No the bolded is just me... : )  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:03 pm
Atheists are most discriminated against?
Really?
Compare the employment prospects, estimated income, quality of life and overall discrimination or Atheists and american Blacks.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Herobane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:35 pm
It's pretty bad in Canada too.

I get people giving me dirty looks, and one guy with a massive crucifix around his neck threw a paper cup full of coffee at me. DUDE did he ever run when I turned to him and reached a hand under my trenchcoat! xd  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:58 pm
i never had any christians hating on me
they don't say it but they probably want to save me
then again i don't really talk to the ultrareligious ones
or at least i don't mention it to them
i think they shoulnd't care
aww come on it's just that we have a lack of belief or we dont' believe in God at all ...

i want to some day make a lot of money somehow and donate it and go around countries and help them somehow

does that make me evil and untrustworthy?  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 pm
Louis-Auguste Robespierre
Atheists are most discriminated against?
Really?
Compare the employment prospects, estimated income, quality of life and overall discrimination or Atheists and american Blacks.

There's a difference between most discriminated against and most hated.

It's easy to hide that you're an Atheist. Not so easy to hide the color of your skin. Most of the time, atheism doesn't come up, so it doesn't really affect the range of things that race can. However, that doesn't mean that the hatred doesn't exist.

A 1999 Gallup poll says more people would not vote an atheist into office than any other group. Also, atheists are the number 1 answer in a University of Minnesota poll to the statements "This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society..." and "I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group...."  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:24 pm
I am constantly descriminated as an atheist. One thing that I noticed is that I have never been descriminated by someone who was not a Christian or Catholic.
This only makes them hippocrates. The very book that they are using to prosecute us says things like "Love your neibor" and "Judge not he who is to be judged for vengance shall be his".
Sometimes I imagine that all the religions are personified and in one room together and that Christianity is a total a** hole. Then again, I also imagine Deism and Atheism bumping fist and saying "Wonder twin powers, ACTIVATE!".  

Piroki-chan23

Ayumila

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:13 pm
I live in Scotland and although I don't go to a particularly religious school but a lot of the people I have ended up discussing religion to does look down on me in a "you're going to hell where your and your soulless belief system will burn for all of eternity" kind of way.
Although I was very happy that I had seen quite a few buses drive around town with the sign "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and go and enjoy your life".

=D

Sadly, drivers of such buses are now refusing to step foot on these vehicles so the signs have been taken down... >_>  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff