Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Swine Flu Vaccine Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you going to take it
  yes
  no
  yes no maybe?
View Results

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:05 pm
Some important caveats about the article Pumona posted:

Quote:
The flu shot is only as good as the educated guesses of a group of vaccine researchers across the globe. Every February, they try to predict which flu viruses will work their evil during the next fall and winter. Their three top choices are put into the vaccine.

That's the case with the seasonal flu shot, but not the case with the H1N1 vaccine. H1N1 is a specific strain, and this vaccine has been designed for this specific strain.

Quote:
Still, some researchers aren’t comfortable with the safety data. Tom Jefferson, MD, coordinator of the Vaccines Field for the Cochrane Collaborative, an international group of researchers, reported last year in the British Medical Journal that he had found only six limited studies on safety after reviewing 206 studies on the vaccine. That, he says, is a surprisingly small number considering the widespread use of the vaccine and its mixed bag of ingredients.

The processes used to develop both the seasonal flu shot and the current H1N1 vaccine are pretty much the same from year to year. They don't reinvent the wheel every year just to combat the flu (nor have they with H1N1). The technique is the same each year; take the strains thought to be the most likely to break out that year (or, in the case of H1N1, target this specific strain), incubate the virus in chicken eggs to grow it, kill the virus, and use the dead virus particles to expose your immune system to these strains. While each year there are limited safety studies, the large-scale usage of the vaccine and very rare instances of serious side effects provides the starkest data on the safety of the vaccine.

Quote:
Here’s another concern: Except for about 8 million doses, the flu vaccine contains a preservative, thimerosal, that is 49 percent mercury, a known neurotoxin.

This is a chemistry fallacy that is more alarmist than anything else. Chemical compounds and their individual constituent elements couldn't have less to do with each other. Consider for example that your favorite condiment to sprinkle on your french fries, table salt, is 50% chlorine, a deadly pulmonary agent that was used extensively in chemical warfare in World War I. On the other hand, seemingly benign elements can combine to make lethal compounds. Hydrogen, Carbon, and Nitrogen are all totally innocuous elements on their own. However, in a 1-1-1 compound you have hydrogen cyanide, which is lethally poisonous. So, sufficed to say individual elements vs. the compounds they are in have little to do with one another in terms of toxicity.

Now, on the issue of nerve damage and the flu shot: The most prominent example people point to in terms of GBS and the flu shot is the 1976 vaccination campaign against the swine flu. Some bare facts. A soldier at Fort Dix contracted swine flu and died. The strain, in fact, was a variant of the current flu and is also known as H1N1. Public health officials were worried because this strain bore similarities to the 1918 flue strain which killed 20 million worldwide. That strain, by the was, is also chemically H1N1 (now are you all starting to see why public health officials are so spooked?). So, the government, on advice from public health officials, engaged in a vaccination campaign (much more vigorous than the current one). Approximately 40 million doses of vaccine were delivered to the American public. Of those 40 million, 500 cases of GBS developed. Of the 500 cases of GBS, 25 people died. The swine flu never spread to epidemic proportions as was feared. As a result, the program was viewed as an overreaction that was more harmful to the public than the disease itself. It needs to be noted, however, that a full 33% of the public was vaccinated against H1N1 at the time, and so many vital infectious avenues were shut down at the source. Furthermore, the common suggestion, that the vaccine killed more people than the disease, is a Fox Butterfield fallacy; if a vaccine is effective, obviously people won't catch the disease and die from it.

So, please keep in mind that when you are dealing with hysteria about the potential harm of the flu shot you are talking about statistically small groups being advanced as exceptions that prove the rule.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:21 am
I'm just going to mention. I do not have a lot of details yet, but my one year old nephew was just diagnosed with H1N1 yesterday. We're not sure what's going to happen yet, but he was sent home with Thermaflu and tylenal. Hopefully he will be better.  

Pumona

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:15 am
My sympathies to the family. You should be relieved to note that, as far as the numbers go so far, the numbers are very much in your nephew's favor. All the same, prayers go out to him.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:53 pm
Lord Bitememan
My sympathies to the family. You should be relieved to note that, as far as the numbers go so far, the numbers are very much in your nephew's favor. All the same, prayers go out to him.

Thank you. I know it should be fine, we just decided to not get together with them next week just in case.
HIN1 is not that bad from what I was reading, but H3N2 is.  

Pumona

Pumona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:57 pm
If anyone is interested in learning about Swine flu (H1N1 ex..) go to

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swineflu/key_facts.htm  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:35 am
Pumona
I'm just going to mention. I do not have a lot of details yet, but my one year old nephew was just diagnosed with H1N1 yesterday. We're not sure what's going to happen yet, but he was sent home with Thermaflu and tylenal. Hopefully he will be better.

yeah my thoughts and prayers are with your family

atleast your in america wear we have that one thing ohh what is it oh yeah the best health care in the world  

goodshot911SNK

Pumona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:06 pm
captin bigshot911NK
Pumona

yeah my thoughts and prayers are with your family

atleast your in america wear we have that one thing ohh what is it oh yeah the best health care in the world

Thank you  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm
yeah i don't know what i think about this vaccine  

goodshot911SNK

Pumona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:47 am
I did alot of research about the swine flu shot and yes it can do more bad than good. According to the CDC the swine flue vaccine does not protect you from H1N1 only H3N2 and it increases your chances of getting H1N1 or any other virus. It is always your decision I only encourge people to read up all you can about it before you recieve the vaccine.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:32 pm
yeah I'm just going to take my chances with my immune system but i am not concerned for my health it is my extremely ill mother and sister i worry about they are both on kemo and well they have no immune system so I'm gonna convince them to where a face mask in public especially at the doctors  

goodshot911SNK

handsanitizer1

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 pm
I don't really think I'm going to get it. I am teen aged, but I am recovering from some sort of ailment now and I don't usually get sick for a while after getting sick once. Also, I don't know much about the safety of the vaccine.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:06 pm
well if you would like to know more here i read some of it

http://www.gaiaonline.com/gaia/redirect.php?r=http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/topics/thiomersal/en/index.html  

goodshot911SNK

handsanitizer1

6,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:47 pm
An update... I won't be getting the swine flu vaccine. Turns out that ailment I was recovering from, is getting worse. And it's swine flu. Bummer...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:24 pm
wow sorry that is a bummer  

goodshot911SNK

Semiremis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:01 pm
I'm not getting vaccinated.

Each individual should just weigh the risks and the benefits, it may be much better for some but it's not something that I think I need, I'm not in any higher risk areas and there are no foreseeable complications that may arise if I ever do happen to come down with the swine flu.  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff