Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Ghosts? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:11 pm
Captain_Shinzo
An organism is nothing without something to think with, meaning IT is the brain.

Sorry to cut in here but that statement is somewhat false when considering other kingdoms than Animals don't have what's considered a brain. (I know that doesn't change anything, but I don't often have something to say biggrin )

I think ghosts, for lack of a better term, may exist as abnormal minor things seldomly found in an enviorment that usually triggers paranoid thoughts and fear.

If there was a force that slightly altered it's enviorment and even gave hallucinations AND it was reasonably proven, everyone's mind would go blank for like 5 min so they could re-evaluate reality. burning_eyes Don't mind me, keep up the debate. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:50 am
Haha, I actually made a topic that got a lot of response! *does a little happy dance*

As for me, I go by the saying, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." The more outrageous the claims, the more evidence I need.

Admittedly, supernatural phenomena aren't *quite* as outrageous in claims than most religions are. But they often go against what science tells us about the universe, and I would like to see suitably extraordinary evidence to back it up.

It's been proven again and again in the courts of law all over the world that eye-witness accounts are unreliable at best. That's why I will not accept that as proof.

I think one good measure is the contest open through the James Randi Educational Foundation; they will award $1 million to anyone who can prove the existence of paranormal phenomena through empirical testing. It's been going on for several years and there have been several applicants, but no one has even gotten through preliminary tests yet.

I guess because my atheism is sort of based off of a Skeptical world-view, I expect other atheists to base theirs off of the same. I guess that's not always the case, though.  

alteregoivy

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:05 pm
Emerald Warrior Jewel
Captain_Shinzo
Emerald Warrior Jewel
Captain_Shinzo
Agree to disagree it is. Mostly because being called a jackass showed that I can't have a friendly debate with you without insults.
No, I'm not being mean. This is just what you have showed me.

Im 14 with the mentaly age of 5 who can read on a collage level, and do trig... its being mean to me...

But was it as bad as what you said to me?
Do you expect me NOT to point out what you said?
Do you expect me to NOT reply to your insults?
Do you expect me to just sit around like you even apologize?

I'm sure what you said to me wasn't NEARLY as hurtful as what you said. No, it was pretty much nothing. Compliments really. >.> * Sarcastic. *

What I said wasnt nearly as hurtful as what I said?

I'm sorry. XD I meant to say what I said. XXDDDD Typo.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:08 pm
G4NTZ
Captain_Shinzo
An organism is nothing without something to think with, meaning IT is the brain.

Sorry to cut in here but that statement is somewhat false when considering other kingdoms than Animals don't have what's considered a brain. (I know that doesn't change anything, but I don't often have something to say biggrin )

I think ghosts, for lack of a better term, may exist as abnormal minor things seldomly found in an enviorment that usually triggers paranoid thoughts and fear.

If there was a force that slightly altered it's enviorment and even gave hallucinations AND it was reasonably proven, everyone's mind would go blank for like 5 min so they could re-evaluate reality. burning_eyes Don't mind me, keep up the debate. xd

Most organisms have a brain. Those that don't are under the control of something close to it, atleast.
Either way, it still doesn't explain where this spiritual force came from or is located.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Indie_lullaby

Tipsy Gawker

6,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:45 am
Hm, I am not sure about ghosts. I believe in them but not entirely convinced.
If there is a bump in the night, I will think it is my cats, the house being weird, or an animal outside. However, I went to my city's museum one day. I passed by this little section where an old desk was. My heart felt like it was being squeezed. My friend felt the same way. (By the way, I didn't tell her what I was feeling. I just told her to come over to where I was).

I can tell you this, I don't believe in demons and all that sorts.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:34 am
alteregoivy
So could anyone who does believe in these things explain how you can justify belief in the supernatural while rejecting beliefs in gods and religion?

It's really simple. First of all, as an atheist you don't have to reject all religion; only the ones that believe in deities, and since there is nothing about deities having a monopoly on the supernatural, you can still be an atheist and believe in other supernatural things.  

MiniSiets

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces