Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist Bus Campaign Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is the Atheist Bus Campaign a good idea?
  Yes, of course!
  I don't like the message/campaign itself, but it has good aims.
  No, I think we're going about this entirely the wrong way.
  No, this is atheist extremism. How dare they?!
View Results

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm
Two things...

1.) Your very rude and can't take a joke of any kind what-so-ever. D:

2.) That "whooshing" sound above your head? Again, like most other people, your missing my point greatly. I wont bother with this thread anymore because people wont focus on my first post here.

Good day everyone, I bid this topic fair well...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:46 pm
I believe it is a good idea I actually brought this up in class now were are arguing about it.
But I think it is about time that they come out everyone should know and stop shunning Atheist's for who we are and what we believe in!!  

Imperfect_Elegance

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Two things...

1.) Your very rude and can't take a joke of any kind what-so-ever. D:

2.) That "whooshing" sound above your head? Again, like most other people, your missing my point greatly. I wont bother with this thread anymore because people wont focus on my first post here.

Good day everyone, I bid this topic fair well...

It's pretty hard to take a joke when there isn't one there.
And rude? Might do you well to point out where.

As for point number 2... Your point, as put in your first post is this:
"I really just think NO spiritual beliefs should be spread instead of all of them."
I didn't miss your point, it runs like a yellow thread through all you have posted. Again:
a ) Why do you demand that the correct view not be propogated?
b ) To call for a minority view to not be propogated when the majority view is being propogated is to call for the elimination of the minority view. Saying that you want all views to not do such is dodging responsibility for convincing people of the minority view not to defend their views while you have no such influence over the majority view.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm
The point of the thread is to ask for my opinion and I gave it. After awhile, it kind of got to the point where it grew into continuous posts.

As for the joke, the Billy Mayes WAS a joke if you don't have a sense of humor.

A.) What gives you the right to say this Bus Campaign, in itself, is correct? :{
You obviously DIDN'T see my point because half-way in I explain on altering the message if you didn't see it.
B.) I didn't know you were suppose to follow minority views and not your own. I'm sorry, I'll be a good puppet. :{

Please, I don't just listen to what others say and follow it, expecting the highest vote to be right. It doesn't work like that.

As for WHERE I have to point out the rudeness, it isn't hard.
I'm not sure if you were trying or not but I did take to offense on the part where you Quoted my Billy Mayes quote.

My multiple posts went into depth about this idea I was talking about if you didn't read them all. I explained why Atheism shouldn't be advertised. MANY times. If not, which would be a part of my fault, I will explain here and now.

Also, I'm pretty sure Atheism will live on WITHOUT advertising it. stare

So we can get this straight and to the point, what exactly are you confused about?
The part where I want the change the message?
How to change the message?
Why I think the current message is wrong?
I don't get the point your trying to make here except take my words out of context from other posts.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:31 pm
I took Billy Mays to be a joke. What I didn't take as a joke was that even such a pathetic attempt as this bus campaign should be toned down and replaced with something even more gutless.

I don't view the bus campaign as correct. I think it doesn't go far enough, and even more, that it is a waste of resources. However, if I did think it was correct, that would be enough to give me the right to say it is correct. Just as you have every right to say your views are correct. Everyone has the right to put forward the views they believe are correct. That doesn't mean those views are correct, though.

Atheism is a minority. You are telling atheists to not 'spread' atheism while idealists are out there spreading their bullshit, regardless of your pleas for them to stop. As such, you bear responsibility for using your small influence in a manner that is destructive to 1, atheism and 2, humanity as a whole.

Trying to twist this into some 'follow the pack' thing is absurd, if you are trying to do that, and are not merely someone unfamiliar with english.

Your multiple posts did not go into any depth at all. Your posts said 'don't do it' and left it there. Actually, no, that is wrong, they went a little further: "don't preach because preaching is wrong." You don't, however, say why trying to convince people that your view is correct is wrong. And, of course, you cannot. To do so would be to make your entire argument invalid, as you are trying to convince others that your view is correct.

And then you say 'I will explain it now' and carefully avoid actually touching that topic in the few lines remaining in your post...

I am not confused about your posts at all. You are saying that it is wrong for me and everyone else to try and convince them that their views are wrong, and to have a sign offering a positive message, while you... are trying to convince people that their views are wrong and offering a different positive message which says nothing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:43 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
I took Billy Mays to be a joke. What I didn't take as a joke was that even such a pathetic attempt as this bus campaign should be toned down and replaced with something even more gutless.

I don't view the bus campaign as correct. I think it doesn't go far enough, and even more, that it is a waste of resources. However, if I did think it was correct, that would be enough to give me the right to say it is correct. Just as you have every right to say your views are correct. Everyone has the right to put forward the views they believe are correct. That doesn't mean those views are correct, though.

Atheism is a minority. You are telling atheists to not 'spread' atheism while idealists are out there spreading their bullshit, regardless of your pleas for them to stop. As such, you bear responsibility for using your small influence in a manner that is destructive to 1, atheism and 2, humanity as a whole.

Trying to twist this into some 'follow the pack' thing is absurd, if you are trying to do that, and are not merely someone unfamiliar with english.

Your multiple posts did not go into any depth at all. Your posts said 'don't do it' and left it there. Actually, no, that is wrong, they went a little further: "don't preach because preaching is wrong." You don't, however, say why trying to convince people that your view is correct is wrong. And, of course, you cannot. To do so would be to make your entire argument invalid, as you are trying to convince others that your view is correct.

And then you say 'I will explain it now' and carefully avoid actually touching that topic in the few lines remaining in your post...

I am not confused about your posts at all. You are saying that it is wrong for me and everyone else to try and convince them that their views are wrong, and to have a sign offering a positive message, while you... are trying to convince people that their views are wrong and offering a different positive message which says nothing.

I will have to admit that I DID misread your posts and took it out of context from the consistency of how it was said.
However, that STILL does not change my view. I don't believe in removing religion and never did. I don't WANT to convince others into Atheism is the whole point. I thought the point of this campaign was to show that Atheists weren't alone? If that be the case, then I feel the message MAY be taken out of context by other religious folk as I mentioned before. I never even said I was toning it down, but switching around words to make it more appeasing to what the message is about, or what people are wanting.

Now understanding your last post, yes, I AM trying to say that others are wrong. I will not imply that I am right, because I'm probably alittle off, but I feel my opinion seems alittle more correct then others posted here.

Edit: As for my message idea saying nothing, I'm not sure you get the picture here.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items