Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
Spirits Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 pm
neko-mata-01
Underworld Priestess
neko-mata-01
Underworld Priestess
neko-mata-01
Underworld Priestess
Depending on who you ask there is a difference.
A ghost is someone who has passed on and is "stuck" between the physical world and the Afterlife. They do not cross through The Light to go on to the Afterlife, but stick around in this "netherworld" for one reason or another.

A spirit is a person who has passed on, but has actually gone through The Light and into the Afterlife. There they go through a life review learning process, and after that, are able to come and go between the Afterlife and our physical world.
A spirit can also be defined as the "breath" of the soul.
Spirits come back to watch over us, and to comfort us. Ghosts do not.

so then what would you call non human entities ?

Well to put it simply - ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back. Therefore I view inhuman and nature entities as also being spirits because they can cross inbetween worlds.

what i meant is that in your original statement you said "A spirit is a person who has passed on” which would imply the are both human and were once alive. then you said "ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back.” first of all im not sure why you included this statement since it seems quite irrelevant to my question sweatdrop
second if those are you clear definitions of the two. how would you personally define a non human entity that cannot travel between worlds?
etc

Well first off, my original post was based on the differences between human ghosts and spirits because that seemed to be what the original question was asking. Secondly, I said this, "ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back.” to point out that I find spirits to be beings that can cross over. From the way your first question was worded it seemed as if you were asking if I thought non-human beings were ghosts or spirits (which is not the first time I would have heard such a question). Therefore my answer was that they are spirits. So as for my own definition of a non-human entity - they are entities or creatures that were not born in our world and were never living in our world. I think that any non-human entity can travel between worlds, whether on their own free will or from being summoned. However, when they are in our world they still reside on a separate plane of existence which is why we cannot always seem them. Now, I do break the definition down further and tend to only refer to shadow people and lower astral entities as non-human beings. I categorize nature spirits, banshees, animal spirits, etc as being separate.
As for non-human hauntings they are hauntings that have events that are not like what one would encounter during an haunting involving someone who was once living. Which would be EVPs with strange tones that are different from "regular" EVPs. Shadows being caught on camera instead of a figure that is transparent or misty.
I think that is enough of a summary to cover your question.

hm ok. i just really wanted to see how you personally categorize things ^^

(personally i would categorize them a bit differently so i wanted to really hear your opinion)

Ah, ok. May I ask how you categorize them? Is it like a non-human entity equals demon? Or something else? I am curious and interested in learning more on this topic. Non-human isn't something I have worked with or studied in great detail.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 pm
Underworld Priestess
neko-mata-01
Underworld Priestess
neko-mata-01
Underworld Priestess

Well to put it simply - ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back. Therefore I view inhuman and nature entities as also being spirits because they can cross inbetween worlds.

what i meant is that in your original statement you said "A spirit is a person who has passed on” which would imply the are both human and were once alive. then you said "ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back.” first of all im not sure why you included this statement since it seems quite irrelevant to my question sweatdrop
second if those are you clear definitions of the two. how would you personally define a non human entity that cannot travel between worlds?
etc

Well first off, my original post was based on the differences between human ghosts and spirits because that seemed to be what the original question was asking. Secondly, I said this, "ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back.” to point out that I find spirits to be beings that can cross over. From the way your first question was worded it seemed as if you were asking if I thought non-human beings were ghosts or spirits (which is not the first time I would have heard such a question). Therefore my answer was that they are spirits. So as for my own definition of a non-human entity - they are entities or creatures that were not born in our world and were never living in our world. I think that any non-human entity can travel between worlds, whether on their own free will or from being summoned. However, when they are in our world they still reside on a separate plane of existence which is why we cannot always seem them. Now, I do break the definition down further and tend to only refer to shadow people and lower astral entities as non-human beings. I categorize nature spirits, banshees, animal spirits, etc as being separate.
As for non-human hauntings they are hauntings that have events that are not like what one would encounter during an haunting involving someone who was once living. Which would be EVPs with strange tones that are different from "regular" EVPs. Shadows being caught on camera instead of a figure that is transparent or misty.
I think that is enough of a summary to cover your question.

hm ok. i just really wanted to see how you personally categorize things ^^

(personally i would categorize them a bit differently so i wanted to really hear your opinion)

Ah, ok. May I ask how you categorize them? Is it like a non-human entity equals demon? Or something else? I am curious and interested in learning more on this topic. Non-human isn't something I have worked with or studied in great detail.

ghost- any soul of a dead human or animal that is currently in our physical world
spirit- synonymous with soul to some degree (in other words a ghost is also a spirit, but a spirit is not necessarily a ghost) anything that is not existing physically in our world or doesn't originate form our world (not planet i mean physical reality) and also has consciousness and can possibly be seen. this could include ghosts, demons, angels, etc

other things, such as events apparently being replayed (a type of haunting) i dont think would be caused by a ghost since there seems to be no conscious entity involved.  

neko-mata-01

The Study (Research)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces