Welcome to Gaia! ::

Carl's Crew

Back to Guilds

Welcome to Carl's Crew. Where all followers/friends of Carl gather. Please join us in our campaign to have Carl rule the Gaia universe. 

Tags: Carl, Junk, Trunk, piehard, antlers 

Reply Junk in the Trunk (Main Discussion Forum)
Gaining Carl Supporters. How we go abouts? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ZOMG its Lobotomy
Captain

Hygienic Seeker

11,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 am
FyoraSilverwolf
Rattie Virginia
Oh, also, as someone who has lost herself to way too many hours sending anons in previous events, including being a member of a guild that coordinated a group of anons for one event, what are the questions you guys have that are making you hesitant about volunteering yourself as an anon? If I can, I'd be happy to answer what you guys are worried about or offer pointers. User Image

I think I would enjoy being an anon, but I have some creativity/indecision issues.

What makes a good anon letter?
How do you pick the items you send?
What makes a good anon gift?

A good anon letter is completely bonkers, off the wall, and grabs their attention.

Usually it's good to pick an item that's related to what's said in the letter.

I was thinking of setting up an anon with some machetes and see what they could do with them wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 am
ZOMG its Lobotomy
FyoraSilverwolf
Rattie Virginia
Oh, also, as someone who has lost herself to way too many hours sending anons in previous events, including being a member of a guild that coordinated a group of anons for one event, what are the questions you guys have that are making you hesitant about volunteering yourself as an anon? If I can, I'd be happy to answer what you guys are worried about or offer pointers. User Image

I think I would enjoy being an anon, but I have some creativity/indecision issues.

A good anon letter is completely bonkers, off the wall, and grabs their attention.

I was thinking of setting up an anon with some machetes and see what they could do with them wink

Hmmm...
I was thinking, if I did a Carl anon, it would be blue scarves, red gloves, or red socks. 3nodding or just random items from Junk in the Trunk and said they came from Carl. 3nodding

EDIT: Or some kind of antler-type item, if they aren't ridiculously expensive. However, if I were going to do that I would copy some of the "accepting the antlers" intro for the guild wink  

FyoraSilverwolf

Winner

19,600 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100

ZOMG its Lobotomy
Captain

Hygienic Seeker

11,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 am
FyoraSilverwolf
ZOMG its Lobotomy
FyoraSilverwolf
Rattie Virginia

Hmmm...
I was thinking, if I did a Carl anon, it would be blue scarves, red gloves, or red socks. 3nodding or just random items from Junk in the Trunk and said they came from Carl. 3nodding

EDIT: Or some kind of antler-type item, if they aren't ridiculously expensive. However, if I were going to do that I would copy some of the "accepting the antlers" intro for the guild wink

I wouldn't mind if you used some of the intro. ^^ It actually started as an anon letter. The reindeer antlers I'm wearing only cost 1k I think  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:33 am
ZOMG its Lobotomy
FyoraSilverwolf
ZOMG its Lobotomy
FyoraSilverwolf
Rattie Virginia

Hmmm...

I wouldn't mind if you used some of the intro. ^^ It actually started as an anon letter. The reindeer antlers I'm wearing only cost 1k I think

Yeah, and there's the snow deer companion if you want to get a little bit more expensive. (13k) Though it might be appropriate to get a little creative with your definition of "antlers" if you want to give a variety. 3nodding  

FyoraSilverwolf

Winner

19,600 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100

FyoraSilverwolf

Winner

19,600 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:49 am
Another thought: Since we are called "Carl's Crew", what about having a group of people that go play zOMG! and kinda recruit for the guild that way?

I thought of it because I'm thinking I might use zOMG! to save up some gold to spend on buying anon gifts, since the things I already do to generate funds have already been delegated to other tasks. That is assuming my computer's heatsink gets improved enough today so that it can handle BG or zOMG! without overheating...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 am
FyoraSilverwolf
This might be way too general of an answer than what you were looking for, but here's a list of suggestions I can make. These are NOT mutually exclusive at all:

1. You can roleplay a character like Carl. If you plan out a very basic story (you're lovesick over someone, you hate someone, etc.) beforehand, people get even more interested in the character. I personally wish anons would rpg more related to the event (pie-related anons for pie events, leprechaun-related anons for St. Patty's Day, etc.), but ymmv.

2. You can be yourself but customize the letter to the recipient. Personalizing the content is probably is the most important point to try to include, even if you're roleplaying or writing poems. People enjoy the experience of interacting with anons. It doesn't matter that the person you're addressing is a stranger. If you're totally lost about what to say to a stranger, then give a specific compliment about their avi or make a comment on a recent post they made (mysterious lurker, mwahaha!).

3. Use pictures or video in the letter. Gaians forgive mass form letters if the anon still put some effort into using unique images or videos, and rotated through different ones in different letters to people.

4. Poems. They honestly don't have to be works of written art. You don't have to copy some famous poem. It's okay if you do, but it's really better if you don't (because of the personalizing thing again). You can think that your own words came out stupid, but it will turn out that people will still love getting the poem if you took the time to rhyme and/or to addressed it to them. I've literally written the most corny, terrible rhyming poems and gotten gushing thank you threads for them. LOL! A good resource if you're going to write rhyming poems: http://www.rhymezone.com/

5. If you can get a back-and-forth dialog going with someone (either through an anon mule or through your anons responding to their posts) that's always loved because people enjoy the interactive experience, but just be careful you don't fall into the trap of forgetting to still anon new people while you do so.  

Rattie Virginia

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Rattie Virginia

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 am
FyoraSilverwolf
1. If you took the time to send an interesting message it's okay to send a low cost item because the letter itself is the gift. You're still sending the recipient free gold basically because they can cash it in, and the people who love getting anons honestly don't care so much about the item inside if they see that you spent time on the message. BUT it's fun if the low cost item somehow still relates to your message or the recipient.
A few non-Carl examples in general to get brainstorming started: Let's say your anon is roleplaying the Cat in the Hat; then include somewhere in your message that you forgot your hat and use the "Red Silly Hat" (50g) from Ian's shop as your gift. Or if you wrote a poem related to the ocean, you could use one of the "Goldfish in a Bag" (240g) from Josie's shop as your gift. Or if you're anon has something to do with being dressed up, you could either "drop" or give a lovely avi the "Glam Girl Purse" (5g) from Edmund's shop as the gift. Etc. The toilet paper anon (who was having toilet paper fights by "throwing" 240g toilet paper rolls around) was great that way this past event, hee-hee!
It takes more time, but if you're low cost item somehow relates to the recipient, that's also fun even if it's "trash". Of the anons I received this past pie event, my favorite item was when one sent me a pair of rat ears. It didn't matter that I clearly already have a pair, because in a sea of receiving meaningless starter items someone actually took the time to make their cheap item personalized to me, and that made me smile.

2. You can give something from the person's wishlist. I've personally had really terrible luck with people not updating their wishlists and thus not caring I sent something from it, but in general sending a wishlist item shouldn't fail to please. The difficulty with sending wishlist gifts, though, is that it will eat up your gold really quickly and you won't be able to send many as a result.

3. Artwork. I have yet to run into anyone on Gaia who doesn't like their avi being drawn. If you've got artistic talent, instead of worrying about what item to attach, use your message to send them a picture you drew of their avi. I've known anons who have had success with this. The drawback, of course, is that art takes time to create.

4. I like to try to coordinate my gifts with the recipient's avi. Either color-wise or theme-wise. A lot of people put a lot of time into their avis, and I just think it's a nice touch to allow them to immediately equip the cheap gift in appreciation of the anon if they so choose. It feels good to both recipient and sender.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:52 am
Those are all great suggestions, Rattie. 3nodding I know I for sure love getting avi art and anything off my wishlist. It's huge, with items ranging from the ridiculously cheap to the outrageously expensive. And while not all users have wishlists as large as mine, you can still sometimes find cheaper items on a person's wishlist so, it's always worth checking, in my opinion.

If you're looking to give out free art or poems and such, some really super cheap items that I've seen used are the little bouquets they sell on the market. You can seriously buy some of them for 1 gold a piece.  

Alarias
Vice Captain

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

TabbyMina
Crew

Lavish Leader

12,400 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Inquisitor 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:40 pm
I would really like to jump on board with this anoning but im still confused..... I have written a few little poems related to Carl to use but now let me get this straight, I pick random people send them one of the poems and an item that is related to the poem or Carl and I do it anonymously. But what do I send it as a gift???  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 pm
Rattie Virginia

Thank you SO much for all the suggestions!
If someone can point me in the direction of a good thread to lurk to give out anon gifts, I think I'm ready. 3nodding

Note: Might it be a good idea to make an Anon Gift-Giving guide? If so, I think what you've just told me makes a good start for one. 3nodding  

FyoraSilverwolf

Winner

19,600 Points
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100

ZOMG its Lobotomy
Captain

Hygienic Seeker

11,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm
FyoraSilverwolf
Rattie Virginia

Thank you SO much for all the suggestions!
If someone can point me in the direction of a good thread to lurk to give out anon gifts, I think I'm ready. 3nodding

Note: Might it be a good idea to make an Anon Gift-Giving guide? If so, I think what you've just told me makes a good start for one. 3nodding

We'll start anoning when we start up Carl Supporters 2

You can practice in the Chatterbox though xD  
Junk in the Trunk (Main Discussion Forum)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games