Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
What's your hobby? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I moved from Northern Kentucky so I basically traversed two whole states. Back home was the same way as your situation; if you didn't have a car you didn't go anywhere because it was 15 miles to a store.

I bought that bottle of Chartreuse after reading about it in a book on occultism. It has interesting properties, similar to absinthe but not quite. When it comes to just getting drunk I don't usually care what it tastes like as long as I have a chaser (even water will do).

It's not that bad here, we have grocery stores/markets within biking distance (I believe the nearest grocery store is about 6 miles away, but there's a market down the street) but any place that I'm actually interested in shopping at is pretty much an hours drive away. The real killer is that there are no fish or reptile stores close enough to justify the gas money, and no good Asian food places in the entire state almost. My cousin always taunts me on FB whenever he goes to our favorite restaurant. I'm very used to having the entire world at my fingertips. Pretty much anything I wanted I could get in Boston if I had money for train fare.

I care to an extent. Cheap vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol. I used to be able to drink anything, then there were a few times when I had one too many and now I'm more reserved. Tonight we have vodka, our neighbors decided to share ^^

I'm used to stocking up on things once or twice a week to save gas because stores were far away. I have most anything I could want down the street a mile or two now and it's really convenient.

I had a bad experience with cheap vodka once but it's not the vodka's fault. I just avoid that brand now out of principle. Almost like a memorial for that night. rofl

Yes, big city living is great. It's expensive though, that's why we moved here. Really cheap rent and shared utilities. Being away from my mother is worth the inconvenience, b***h is crazy. I miss my little brother a lot though.

Lol, it's not the vodka's fault. Good line! Bad night? My worst experience was with Smirnoff, but it's a decent cheap vodka so I can't afford to hold a grudge.

It is kind of expensive, I've noticed, but it helps that my girlfriend is a student and essentially supports herself. All I have to do is support my half.

Have a bad night with Tvarscky and then we'll talk about bad nights with cheap vodka. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I moved from Northern Kentucky so I basically traversed two whole states. Back home was the same way as your situation; if you didn't have a car you didn't go anywhere because it was 15 miles to a store.

I bought that bottle of Chartreuse after reading about it in a book on occultism. It has interesting properties, similar to absinthe but not quite. When it comes to just getting drunk I don't usually care what it tastes like as long as I have a chaser (even water will do).

It's not that bad here, we have grocery stores/markets within biking distance (I believe the nearest grocery store is about 6 miles away, but there's a market down the street) but any place that I'm actually interested in shopping at is pretty much an hours drive away. The real killer is that there are no fish or reptile stores close enough to justify the gas money, and no good Asian food places in the entire state almost. My cousin always taunts me on FB whenever he goes to our favorite restaurant. I'm very used to having the entire world at my fingertips. Pretty much anything I wanted I could get in Boston if I had money for train fare.

I care to an extent. Cheap vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol. I used to be able to drink anything, then there were a few times when I had one too many and now I'm more reserved. Tonight we have vodka, our neighbors decided to share ^^

I'm used to stocking up on things once or twice a week to save gas because stores were far away. I have most anything I could want down the street a mile or two now and it's really convenient.

I had a bad experience with cheap vodka once but it's not the vodka's fault. I just avoid that brand now out of principle. Almost like a memorial for that night. rofl

Yes, big city living is great. It's expensive though, that's why we moved here. Really cheap rent and shared utilities. Being away from my mother is worth the inconvenience, b***h is crazy. I miss my little brother a lot though.

Lol, it's not the vodka's fault. Good line! Bad night? My worst experience was with Smirnoff, but it's a decent cheap vodka so I can't afford to hold a grudge.

It is kind of expensive, I've noticed, but it helps that my girlfriend is a student and essentially supports herself. All I have to do is support my half.

Have a bad night with Tvarscky and then we'll talk about bad nights with cheap vodka. xd

Well that's lucky. I wanna be student!

Wow, so cheap I've never even heard of it. I dare not venture into that realm sir! My bad night was at a party with my closest friend and a million of her friends. I'm forever known to that group by a name that shall not be mentioned. Even though I redeemed myself by being AWESOME at their next party 6 months later.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:51 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Well that's lucky. I wanna be student!

Wow, so cheap I've never even heard of it. I dare not venture into that realm sir! My bad night was at a party with my closest friend and a million of her friends. I'm forever known to that group by a name that shall not be mentioned. Even though I redeemed myself by being AWESOME at their next party 6 months later.

Tvarscky is bottom shelf vodka. Seriously.

I got hustled in to drinking way too much at a New Year's Eve party a couple of years ago. I was babbling about existing simultaneously in the third and fourth spatial dimensions and all kinds of other crazy stuff. I get really deep and spiritual when I drink. rofl It basically just amplifies my existing personality. But that was just the beginning of the craziness. I was hung-over for two days. It was just bad.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm
Obscurus

I got hustled in to drinking way too much at a New Year's Eve party a couple of years ago. I was babbling about existing simultaneously in the third and fourth spatial dimensions and all kinds of other crazy stuff. I get really deep and spiritual when I drink. rofl It basically just amplifies my existing personality. But that was just the beginning of the craziness. I was hung-over for two days. It was just bad.

Haha! That is awesome. I can totally see that. Okay, not the two day hang over part, that sucks. But the other part. ORS drinking party! It's on.

Mine was also at a new years party. I was pretty nervous because I don't do that well in crowds, so I basically filled one of those stereotypical red cups up to the top with vodka, then added a splash of cranberry juice for good measure. The last thing I remember is my friend dragging me into the alcohol room for another cup. I think I had a good time for most of the night, since there are pictures of me smiling and having fun with everyone. But by the end of the night a few people had to keep watch to make sure I didn't accidentally roll on my back in my sleep. The next day was the. worst. Luckily the guy's mom whose house the party was at was really cool. When I apologized, she was just like "Don't worry about it, I can't even OPEN a bottle of Jack Daniels anymore -shudder- memories...."

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

Haha! That is awesome. I can totally see that. Okay, not the two day hang over part, that sucks. But the other part. ORS drinking party! It's on.

Mine was also at a new years party. I was pretty nervous because I don't do that well in crowds, so I basically filled one of those stereotypical red cups up to the top with vodka, then added a splash of cranberry juice for good measure. The last thing I remember is my friend dragging me into the alcohol room for another cup. I think I had a good time for most of the night, since there are pictures of me smiling and having fun with everyone. But by the end of the night a few people had to keep watch to make sure I didn't accidentally roll on my back in my sleep. The next day was the. worst. Luckily the guy's mom whose house the party was at was really cool. When I apologized, she was just like "Don't worry about it, I can't even OPEN a bottle of Jack Daniels anymore -shudder- memories...."

Hopefully we've both learned our limits. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I definitely have. That was a few years back and it hasn't happened again. What about...you stare ?

On a side note, I just realized that you can change size of the posting box. Mind blowing.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:34 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I definitely have. That was a few years back and it hasn't happened again. What about...you stare ?

On a side note, I just realized that you can change size of the posting box. Mind blowing.

I've learned my lesson.

And what posting box? The little quickpost one?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 pm
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

I've learned my lesson.

And what posting box? The little quickpost one?

Quickpost confused ? The box when I click post or reply and type my message.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 pm
Vanilla eXee

Very interesting. I was actually looking into making mead myself. Do your home made wines contain sulfites?

I just made my first mead, it's a fall spice one. It's currently in the first stages of fermentation so it will be a long while until I can try it.
Sulfites are in wines to some extent naturally. Other than that, I don't think anything I use has sulfites in it. None of my recipes really call for any preservatives because as long as it is sealed properly it should be fine for the most part. I did read that sulfites keep wine from turning into vinegar but from what I learned, wine usually becomes vinegar when something, such as a fly, gets in it. But my knowledge on all that is limited. I usually use a pectic enzyme, and occassionally a wine conditioner, tannin or acid blend as needed. Really the conditioner has only gone in my strawberry wine because it came out really dry. The last few recipes I made called for the use of orange juice.
There is a store about an hour from where I live that sells items needed to make homemade wines, beers, cheeses and yogurts. They also teach classes on it so I when I go in I just talk to the guy in there and he stocks me up. Which is great because if I ever have a question he always seems to have a solution.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee

Very interesting. I was actually looking into making mead myself. Do your home made wines contain sulfites?

I just made my first mead, it's a fall spice one. It's currently in the first stages of fermentation so it will be a long while until I can try it.
Sulfites are in wines to some extent naturally. Other than that, I don't think anything I use has sulfites in it. None of my recipes really call for any preservatives because as long as it is sealed properly it should be fine for the most part. I did read that sulfites keep wine from turning into vinegar but from what I learned, wine usually becomes vinegar when something, such as a fly, gets in it. But my knowledge on all that is limited. I usually use a pectic enzyme, and occassionally a wine conditioner, tannin or acid blend as needed. Really the conditioner has only gone in my strawberry wine because it came out really dry. The last few recipes I made called for the use of orange juice.
There is a store about an hour from where I live that sells items needed to make homemade wines, beers, cheeses and yogurts. They also teach classes on it so I when I go in I just talk to the guy in there and he stocks me up. Which is great because if I ever have a question he always seems to have a solution.

Strawberry wine? Orange juice? Party is at your house. For all that work, how does it taste compared to an average priced store bought wine?

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 pm
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee

Strawberry wine? Orange juice? Party is at your house. For all that work, how does it taste compared to an average priced store bought wine?

Lol! Alright! Actually, I think some of my wine turned out really well. Usually I do not like store bought wines and rarely drink them. The best store bought wine I ever had was some frozen grape wine from a Renn Faire. But I could drink an entire bottle of the pear spice I made, it was soo good. Surprisingly, the jalapeno raisin turned out well too, but that one is more of a sipping wine for a cold day than anything else. It's not a let's drink a whole bottle at once wine.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:00 am
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee

Lol! Alright! Actually, I think some of my wine turned out really well. Usually I do not like store bought wines and rarely drink them. The best store bought wine I ever had was some frozen grape wine from a Renn Faire. But I could drink an entire bottle of the pear spice I made, it was soo good. Surprisingly, the jalapeno raisin turned out well too, but that one is more of a sipping wine for a cold day than anything else. It's not a let's drink a whole bottle at once wine.

Wow, so many different wines. How long do you let them age?

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:26 am
Vanilla eXee

At least 6 months, a few I have packed away for a year and some others to save for more than a year.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 am
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee

At least 6 months, a few I have packed away for a year and some others to save for more than a year.

That's kind of exciting, you have to wait that long to see what all that work made.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 pm
Vanilla eXee
Underworld Priestess
Vanilla eXee

That's kind of exciting, you have to wait that long to see what all that work made.

It is rather exciting. The long wait is why I keep wine conditioner around just in case they need some help to taste better if they are a little dry. The wait certainly sucks especially when making wines for the holidays. Right now I'm really hoping the clove turns out alright for baking this Christmas/Yule time.  
The Café (General Chat)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff