Skyward Sword Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 pm
i do kinda wish there were more floating islands to see, but it looks really ********' nice and i think the flying is pretty fun.

When I started playing it felt a bit off. But now I'm on the 4th dungeon and I'm really getting into it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:33 pm
I think flying is a pain in the a**. The Wii has gotten gimmicky with motion controls.

Swinging the Wii remote to swing a sword = immersive and fun.
Twisting and flicking my wrist to control a bird = pointless and awkward.

I don't understand how the sea could be any different from the sky in your mind. The islands in WW were 100 time more interesting in my opinion, and your boat practically sailed itself.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:36 pm
If anything flying's more exciting than sailing.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:03 pm
Nomega
and your boat practically sailed itself.
FUN TIMES.

Super Cheesio
I hated the sea in Wind Waker. Found it boring as ********. I much prefer the sky, but a proper world like Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess would be far far better. Also, I don't like the fact that there are pretty much only 3 areas. And yes, you keep having to go back to them. -.- That's my biggest gripe with the game.
There were more islands in Windwaker, but there was a lot of dead sea, and just a lot of those pirate lookouts. I loved it when I was 12, but I don't have the time to waste sailing around. When I was 12, I LOVED sailing in Windwaker. Now, I don't think I would. I have a job, I have a life. It's not so much about exploration in the overworld, it's more about going to places and realizing there's a lot more to them than you'd thought. SS takes a page from Metroid by having you go back to places (spoiler), but unlike Metroid, it's not often that the first time you're somewhere you see things you can't do and places you can't access. You realize that stuff when you go back to those places with new items, and the places expand.

OoT's overworld sucked, if you really want to compare the games like that. And hey, so did LttP's and all the other games in comparison to Windwaker. Windwaker was about exploration. It was about Link being Columbus and discovering new places. I'd rather be able to get to where I want to go quickly as I can in this game than spend a long time either sailing across a whole ocean or riding my horse forever in a boring land.

That said, the places weren't that great. I'd come to places I couldn't do anything in, and realize I'd have to try to remember where it was, what I needed, and then eventually travel all the way back there. How long does it take to get from one end of Windwaker's map to the other? I don't remember. Too long. I personally prefer having things closer together with less filler. If I wanted filler I'd go play Majora's Mask's sidequests. Those are pretty much a game in and of themselves.

That all said, not everyone likes motion controls. I thought flying the bird was going to be a real pain for me, personally, but it gets a lot better the more you play it. It reminds me a little of Mario 64's flying, which is by far my favorite. And even so, you don't have to fly much.

Gah, I just love how little downtime there is in this game. The temples rock, the areas outside of the temples are like outdoor temples but not at all at the same time, and THEY rock, the boss fights are fun, and god damn the story rules.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Jeffy Kid15

9,100 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:03 pm
I love the story.

The controls kinda bother me a bit, but I know I might just be awful with actually using a Wii remote. Weird little twitches and I'm terrible with actually slashing the sword in the right directions.
My conclusion is that I really like the game, just sometimes I get worked up like when playing Mario Galaxy.

Also, did anyone else have an absolutely rotten time with the Beamos?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:18 pm
Jeffy Kid15
I love the story.

The controls kinda bother me a bit, but I know I might just be awful with actually using a Wii remote. Weird little twitches and I'm terrible with actually slashing the sword in the right directions.
My conclusion is that I really like the game, just sometimes I get worked up like when playing Mario Galaxy.

Also, did anyone else have an absolutely rotten time with the Beamos?

At first, I had a lot of trouble with the Beamos and any enemy that requires you to do a forward thrust with your sword. I recommend you just play around with the sword more without any enemies around and see what gestures always work how you want them to. Helped me a lot.  

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:32 pm
Dat final bawss  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:46 pm
Nomega
But other than Skyloft, every sky island thing is filler, practically. The sky is like 1/10 the size of the Wind Waker's ocean.

It bothers me how you can't skydive onto skyloft, too. Stupid Loading screen.

Another thing is that you can't just jump off anywhere and start flying, you need to jump from certain places for some reason.

I just feel like flying could have been fun, but a lot of potential was wasted.
You don't have to pass most of those dinky filler islands to get where you actually need to go, like in Wind Waker. If you go after the little filler islands it's optional. Aside from the drop into Faron, there's a handy speed boost that shoots you straight to Skyloft from anywhere you actually need to go.

As for ways it's objectively better than Twilight Princess? Well, that prompt was... unprompted by anything I'm reading, but I'll try to think of one.

Skyward Sword has no items in it that are almost useless in the dungeon after you get them. That's one, and it's not even a matter of opinion. It's a matter of good game design. The slingshot, for example, was still useful to me for stunning enemies after I got the bow. Did you ever use the slingshot in TP after getting the bow? Were you out of arrows, or something?  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:52 pm
So like, my posts may count as minor gameplay spoilers... You are the one who chose to enter this thread and read my long a** post. I'm not going to bother whiting out anything but story spoilers.

There's a lot less riding around than in Twilight princess, though I sorta miss straight up warp points. But you get the ability to call your ride up like right away. You don't get to freely use warps till like halfway through TP, and you don't get the horse-call until it's already pretty much useless.

You could say that it's due to my lack of patience, and therefor not objective, but If I rephrased it as saying "Skyward Sword has better game pacing" it sounds less opinionated.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:56 pm
In Twilight Princess I have never had trouble dropping Ganondorf's p***y a** mano-e-mano(Or sword-o).

This game's final boss requires you to be ******** PRECISE, *or pack loads of potions, also shields.* I guess I'll white out what could be seen as solutions? Spoilers: There's a Final Boss.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Jeffy Kid15

9,100 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:00 pm
Jaycorn

At first, I had a lot of trouble with the Beamos and any enemy that requires you to do a forward thrust with your sword. I recommend you just play around with the sword more without any enemies around and see what gestures always work how you want them to. Helped me a lot.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Looking at [Kegan]'s post about the final boss, it's looking like finding some loophole(s) won't help me.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:03 pm
Hint: You have the power.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:45 pm
It's true that you don't need to pass many filler islands to get where you want to go. In fact, you don't need to pass much of anything to get where you want to go, so why make me fly at all?

What's the difference between flying between areas and a proper level select?

5 minutes of looking at nothing but clouds. I find it tedious.

As for the useless items point, you're right. But they made some weird decisions, too.
Holding extra seeds requires its own pouch space? Shields can break?

The upgrading items part is pretty cool.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:59 pm
Because flying is sorta fun, and lots of people would be pissed off if it was just implied that he flies. Are you really suggesting removing overworld form a Zelda game?

The fact that you don't enjoy it doesn't make it a good feature. That's not objective.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:44 pm
No, I'm saying since they already cut out the overworld, the least they could to is not make me jump through hoops to get from place to place.

I would argue that flying being tedious is objective, or at very least a valid complaint.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff