God Child Licensed by VIZ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:09 am
Sai-kun

AS is refreshingly untampered with, so far. I dont own any english copies myself, but Ive ganked them from a friend.
I just dont have 11 bucks to spend for a single hit ^_^;

omanga.net has really good translations. Jahannam.net has translations up to book...15 or so, maybe more now, I havent checked in a while.
I have a site that has excellent translations for all of God Child (this one definitly helped me understand the ending -_-; Even with them on hand it took a while of sitting and pondering to get everything straight in my head o_O )
And of course, good old Sakura crisis and its scanlations.
I live by scanlations and translations. They're done by fans and for fans, and I think they put more effort towards maintaining the integrity of the original than many commercial translators (ADV, oh god...the pain!! Have you read Tactics? It's been mauled ;_; Such a cute series...I want to get the Tactics artbook...tangent.)

The Godchild ending is not that difficult to understand, or so I found... The atogaki section helps alot in understanding the ending though.

Personally, I find AS a bigger headache to understand. Especially since I'm not very used to Chinese (trad.). Godchild, also in Chinese (trad.) was easier to understand to me. AS, books 1-3, made me go "Huh? What happened again?"

But anyways, I agree about scanslations and translations being closer to the original than the commercially published mangas. Although different scanslation groups can offer totally different translations at points. At least in those, they make an effort to explain the soundeffects clearly and unbstrusively, which Chinese publishers never bother with unless it's key to the plot. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:18 am
Shura Yukihime
The Godchild ending is not that difficult to understand, or so I found... The atogaki section helps alot in understanding the ending though.

Personally, I find AS a bigger headache to understand. Especially since I'm not very used to Chinese (trad.). Godchild, also in Chinese (trad.) was easier to understand to me. AS, books 1-3, made me go "Huh? What happened again?"

But anyways, I agree about scanslations and translations being closer to the original than the commercially published mangas. Although different scanslation groups can offer totally different translations at points. At least in those, they make an effort to explain the soundeffects clearly and unbstrusively, which Chinese publishers never bother with unless it's key to the plot. stare

That's weird, to read the manga without the sond effets. I personally like reading the sound effets because I think they create a more...realistic factor to the manga.  

Moonlit Masquerade

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:22 am
Shura Yukihime
Sai-kun

AS is refreshingly untampered with, so far. I dont own any english copies myself, but Ive ganked them from a friend.
I just dont have 11 bucks to spend for a single hit ^_^;

omanga.net has really good translations. Jahannam.net has translations up to book...15 or so, maybe more now, I havent checked in a while.
I have a site that has excellent translations for all of God Child (this one definitly helped me understand the ending -_-; Even with them on hand it took a while of sitting and pondering to get everything straight in my head o_O )
And of course, good old Sakura crisis and its scanlations.
I live by scanlations and translations. They're done by fans and for fans, and I think they put more effort towards maintaining the integrity of the original than many commercial translators (ADV, oh god...the pain!! Have you read Tactics? It's been mauled ;_; Such a cute series...I want to get the Tactics artbook...tangent.)

I think the AS ending was a bit rushed. I still don't understand that, so I guess I agree with you that AS in some parts is harder to understand ^_^;
The beginning was pretty straight foward, it started getting wonky in issue 18...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:41 am
Sonoshi
Sai-kun

Then maybe it's just me, I don't like staring at the computer when I read manga. And I get a better impression of the layout and so on when I see the whole page at once. So I guess that's why I'm thankful when the manga is published. (And, no... I don't think Tokyopop and VIZ makes a bad work. I like reading manga in english more than swedish, 'cause the swedish translations are so.... wierd... sweatdrop )
Still, that doesn't mean I dislike scanlations! I mean, if it weren't for s-c.net I wouldn't even heard of Kaori Yuki! 3nodding

It's kinda hard to keep up with the pace of scanlators since I'm not on 24/7 or have time to sit down and read through each chapter and I always buy the hard copy if I like the manga (so yes, I'm not too concerned with the legality of scanlating because I think they expose people to manga rather than gip anyone of their money).
I'd totally buy commercial translations (after a while, reading with a dictionary next to you gets tiring ^_^; ) if they tampered less with the art and story, if they promoted its cultural and artistic value over its fad and profit value, and if they wouldnt bloody charge over 10 bucks for it.
15 dollars for yaoi? You have GOT to be kidding me. That's highway robbery and the only reason why theyre getting away with it is because they have such a monopoly on the market.

Though I suppose the manga industry has to REALLY explode (I used to doubt the possiblity of this in the US, but it might not be so far fetched o_o) before competition and mass production pushes prices down and forces the companies to start to reevaluate the quality of their product, but things are already better than they were when the first issues of manga came out. (though I have to say Appleseed and Banana Fish and the like are actually done better than many of the new series out these days, maybe because back then Dark Horse catered to a very tight interest group.
I always liked Dark Horse. The Trigun manga is done very well, in my opinion. )  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:08 pm
Sai-kun

It's kinda hard to keep up with the pace of scanlators since I'm not on 24/7 or have time to sit down and read through each chapter and I always buy the hard copy if I like the manga (so yes, I'm not too concerned with the legality of scanlating because I think they expose people to manga rather than gip anyone of their money).
I'd totally buy commercial translations (after a while, reading with a dictionary next to you gets tiring ^_^; ) if they tampered less with the art and story, if they promoted its cultural and artistic value over its fad and profit value, and if they wouldnt bloody charge over 10 bucks for it.
15 dollars for yaoi? You have GOT to be kidding me. That's highway robbery and the only reason why theyre getting away with it is because they have such a monopoly on the market.

Though I suppose the manga industry has to REALLY explode (I used to doubt the possiblity of this in the US, but it might not be so far fetched o_o) before competition and mass production pushes prices down and forces the companies to start to reevaluate the quality of their product, but things are already better than they were when the first issues of manga came out. (though I have to say Appleseed and Banana Fish and the like are actually done better than many of the new series out these days, maybe because back then Dark Horse catered to a very tight interest group.

Agreed, very much agreed about the manga cost in the US... A manga (US published) costs more than a novel here... While a Chinese manga, no matter which country, HK, TW, SG, will always be under $10 on the average. I mean, I prefer English to Chinese, no matter how basic, since I'm an English educated person, who communicates in English practically all day, and yet I have to read Chinese manga with a lot of "Huh? What word's that? Better ask XX (a friend of mine) when I see her." So poor me either has to read the manga, memorize all the weird words and go check a dictionary later, or else read it with lots of holes.

Also, on why US manga pricing does NOT make sense. In Singapore, manga publishing is dominated by only 1 company, but they charge and average of SG$5 per book, which is about US $2.50. Or let's take the English version of the mangas published by that same company. SG$7 per book, US$3.50 per book. So why does the US charge such high rates? It doesn't make sense.

And that's my rant about US manga pricings...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:10 pm
Shura Yukihime
Sai-kun

Agreed, very much agreed about the manga cost in the US... A manga (US published) costs more than a novel here... While a Chinese manga, no matter which country, HK, TW, SG, will always be under $10 on the average. I mean, I prefer English to Chinese, no matter how basic, since I'm an English educated person, who communicates in English practically all day, and yet I have to read Chinese manga with a lot of "Huh? What word's that? Better ask XX (a friend of mine) when I see her." So poor me either has to read the manga, memorize all the weird words and go check a dictionary later, or else read it with lots of holes.

Also, on why US manga pricing does NOT make sense. In Singapore, manga publishing is dominated by only 1 company, but they charge and average of SG$5 per book, which is about US $2.50. Or let's take the English version of the mangas published by that same company. SG$7 per book, US$3.50 per book. So why does the US charge such high rates? It doesn't make sense.

And that's my rant about US manga pricings...

Because America isnt run by democracy, its run by the free market :3
Profit, profit, profit. Money is your lord and master.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Vi Sparklemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:02 am
o,O;
I really don't have an opinion when it comes to n00bs (and/or idiots in general) reading our beloved manga. I would've cared some years ago but now I just don't give a damn.

They're unstoppable; whatever you get published you're bound to come across a few of them. There probably are several fans around that are just insane (in a way that isn't good xp ), only they aren't as obvious since the manga hasn't been published in a country near us (or so to say, you know what I mean).

Right now, I'm just glad it'll be published so that I might read it in a 'proper' way. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:26 am
On one hand I look forward to getting my grubby little hands on official releases that I can actually read (english or french). On the other, VIZ is not my ideal publisher. Have you seen the mess they made of Yami no Matsuie v.3? Bad translations (poppet OMG) and poor editing...they made mistakes that shouldn't have made it by. Yuki's work really needs ot be done right. As for fangirls...they get on my nerves too, but do you think they'll be that keen on such dark series as she produces? I'm pretty oblivious to them I guess (aside from the nuts that write on ff.net). sweatdrop  

Muterari

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:48 am
Muterari
On one hand I look forward to getting my grubby little hands on official releases that I can actually read (english or french). On the other, VIZ is not my ideal publisher. Have you seen the mess they made of Yami no Matsuie v.3? Bad translations (poppet OMG) and poor editing...they made mistakes that shouldn't have made it by. Yuki's work really needs ot be done right. As for fangirls...they get on my nerves too, but do you think they'll be that keen on such dark series as she produces? I'm pretty oblivious to them I guess (aside from the nuts that write on ff.net). sweatdrop

I wish they had left the sound effects in japanese when they published AS. On some places they've ruined the artwork when they replaced it with letters.
I didn't think it was that bad in Yami though, even though the translations sometimes sounded funny.

Hmm... Didn't VIZ use to have the soundeffects in japanese before? I think I've read Alice 19:th like that.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm
Muterari

They'll probably be keen on them because they're so dark and subversive.  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Serasan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:34 am
Here in france , god child have been publied in a magasine , and it's coming soon on manga *_*  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:00 am
*do the happy dance*  

ZetsumeiMitsukai

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:09 am
Serasan
Here in france , god child have been publied in a magasine , and it's coming soon on manga *_*

You lucky french people.

What are french translations like? True to the original?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:04 am
Sai-kun
Muterari

They'll probably be keen on them because they're so dark and subversive.

I'll be keeping an eye out for those... So that I can laugh at the sheer unbelievable riduculousness of those fangirls, like I'm laughing at the Fullmetal Alchemist fanfictions now.

But frankly, it'd be dreadful to see great characters get massacred by legions of fangirls with no understanding as to how the original characters work. stressed  

Shura Yukihime

Tornyoukai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:15 am
Shojo beat? man...Tokyopop is messed up. I'm so lucky I have already read Count Cain volumes 1 to 7 in translated by loyal fans. Boys Next Door too..phew.  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff