Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:34 pm
MadSam123
Uriah Galleries
Uriah Galleries
Uriah Galleries
Madsam123
Uriah Galleries

Feedback means criticism. You PMed me telling you want better feedback then just "that looks pretty". You shouldn't ever give up. When I first started all of my shots were bland.

Well unfortunately due to being brought up thinking I'm a failure at everything I do give up incredibly easily. And learning that pictures that I thought were decent are piles of s**t just makes me want to throw in the towel along with everything else I've attempted to do in life.

I've been taking photos since I was 16, so that's roughly 5 years. If I don't have it down by now what's the point. I never wanted to do photography as a job anyway, it was a hobby I wanted to get better at.

Your work really is not that bad. Composition is what got you most of the time, and the subject in general. You have just had bad teachers. I am here to help. There is something you need to watch, and I want you to listen to what he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKa6GB5nS8

That's exactly what my teacher did to me and it's what my teachers do to me in uni as well. They tell me to give the ******** up, they throw my work in my face and they rip it up. For my book project I ended up spending over £400 on it because my teacher ripped up my first three final books. I didn't eat properly for two months because of that, I had no money to buy food so I ended up living off water and chocolate that I had left over from Christmas stashed away in my cupboard. Eventually my mother picked me up and took me home against my will and practically forced a meal down my throat, but that's enough of that.

Personally I think my main problem is I was raised to think that I'm a failure in everything. I still get it to this day. My dad never calls me unless he needs money, my mother disowned me when she found out I might be a lesbian and my siblings just say I've failed at everything in my life. My flatmates aren't a help either, I might have a job soon and all they can say about it is 'Don't get your hopes up'. That, and wanting to take something different. Everything I photograph I've seen taken before and it's always better than mine.

The only photo I've ever taken that I've been proud of is this one on my DA. Sure there is a bit of it that is a little out of focus and there is probably too much light glare on the papers, but I like it.

http://tmntleo.deviantart.com/art/Work-and-Play-202845469

It was for a self portrait competition of which we had to describe us in a simple picture. I won third place. Of course this wasn't good enough for my family hence why it now rots on my DA page with all my other failures.

If I were you, I would drop the class immediately if you're still in it, or at the least, learn what you can for now. Have you seen any of your teachers work though? The people teaching you probably shouldn't even be teaching in the first place. You're really good at producing multiples in one photo. You just need to work on lighting and composition, which I can help you with. That may be your style. I have never seen someone create a full gallery filled with multiples. And since you are really good at it, I believe if you incorporate your multiples into, not only portraits, but landscapes, nature, etc, it will become really successful. Fashion shoots is something I could see that would really go big with your type of work.

Would you mind letting me give you an assignment?

I have seen their work yeah, not really good in my opinion, they have Facebook pages with like 2 of their images on. My main teacher only does nude s**t and it makes me sick, the other doesn't even speak clear english.

I'm not really good with working with people, that would be my only problem with doing fashion shoots. I prefer to work alone, it's just for that work my teacher wanted me to do something on things I like, which isn't a lot but cosplay was one of them.

Sure, I need something to do, making cakes is a sub hobby and right now it's the only thing I'm doing. I've made more cakes than my friends can eat.

Sound like awful teachers to me. :l

Now for the first assignment, you will need a torch light, a tripod, and a remote shutter switch. I want you to study light painting. If you don't know what that is, tell me and i will happily put up a tutorial on that. ^^ I want you to spend one whole week doing nothing but light painting with your camera. Light paint with objects, people, landscapes, whatever. I want you to take HUNDREDS of shots and pick out your top 10 favorite. Don't edit any. Which means no multiples. Not yet anyway. We will get to that later. I am going to try and help build your natural style. 3nodding Also, no more shooting in auto. Ever. I noticed your other post about how you only shoot auto on night outs. For now on, use manual with that as well. I want to get you to the point where anything other than manual will seem unnatural.

I have NEVER really taught someone in photography. Except my older brother and little brother when I taught them manual in under 30minutes. I want you to be honest on how good of a teacher I am. lol I might start teaching as a career on the side. You're going to be my first student, and I guarantee I will help you more than what your teachers have helped you with, or else I will quit photography. That's how much passion I have in photography. So be honest when I am done teaching you. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:52 pm
Uriah Galleries

Now for the first assignment, you will need a torch light, a tripod, and a remote shutter switch. I want you to study light painting. If you don't know what that is, tell me and i will happily put up a tutorial on that. ^^ I want you to spend one whole week doing nothing but light painting with your camera. Light paint with objects, people, landscapes, whatever. I want you to take HUNDREDS of shots and pick out your top 10 favorite. Don't edit any. Which means no multiples. Not yet anyway. We will get to that later. I am going to try and help build your natural style. 3nodding Also, no more shooting in auto. Ever. I noticed your other post about how you only shoot auto on night outs. For now on, use manual with that as well. I want to get you to the point where anything other than manual will seem unnatural.

I have NEVER really taught someone in photography. Except my older brother and little brother when I taught them manual in under 30minutes. I want you to be honest on how good of a teacher I am. lol I might start teaching as a career on the side. You're going to be my first student, and I guarantee I will help you more than what your teachers have helped you with, or else I will quit photography. That's how much passion I have in photography. So be honest when I am done teaching you. 3nodding

They are awful. I've complained many times to the university and they basically tell me to deal with it.

Painting with light... yeah I know what that is, we did a stupidly quick workshop on it. I wish my teachers would go over something for more than just 1 class, pisses me off. Only thing I don't have is a remote shutter because I can't afford one, but my camera has a timer on it so that'll do.

I'll get started tomorrow or on Sunday, I have a meeting at court at some point tomorrow and I'm visiting my friend and her 12 cats on Saturday.

One question, can I use a laser pointer?

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:51 pm
MadSam123
Uriah Galleries

They are awful. I've complained many times to the university and they basically tell me to deal with it.

Painting with light... yeah I know what that is, we did a stupidly quick workshop on it. I wish my teachers would go over something for more than just 1 class, pisses me off. Only thing I don't have is a remote shutter because I can't afford one, but my camera has a timer on it so that'll do.

I'll get started tomorrow or on Sunday, I have a meeting at court at some point tomorrow and I'm visiting my friend and her 12 cats on Saturday.

Hmm...I wander is a petition would work.

They are actually really cheap. Depending on the model. I got mine really cheap on Amazon for like $3.00 USD, but yes, the timer will work for now. ^^

Alright. Sounds good. ^^

Try and use only a flashlight/torch for now. I want you to experiment with an overall light source. Mess with shadows and light patterns with your subjects. Remember to compose your image as well. Look through the viewfinder and view it as if that is the photograph. 3nodding One thing you can do and it will act like a diffuser is put a sheet of paper, or tissues over the torch. Experiment with that a bit as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 pm
Uriah Galleries
MadSam123
Uriah Galleries

Hmm...I wander is a petition would work.

They are actually really cheap. Depending on the model. I got mine really cheap on Amazon for like $3.00 USD, but yes, the timer will work for now. ^^

Alright. Sounds good. ^^

Try and use only a flashlight/torch for now. I want you to experiment with an overall light source. Mess with shadows and light patterns with your subjects. Remember to compose your image as well. Look through the viewfinder and view it as if that is the photograph. 3nodding One thing you can do and it will act like a diffuser is put a sheet of paper, or tissues over the torch. Experiment with that a bit as well.

Petition didn't work, we got 300 signatures around the AVA [the teachers don't just do photography, they range from fashion to graphic design] and they're still working there, heck even my mum filed a formal complaint.

Means I'm gonna have to find a torch ^^' Tis why I asked, I already have a laser. I'm sure we have one somewhere.

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

RavenDance666

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 am
Thunderbird Alpha
MadSam123
-The Furry 12-

That's the nickname we've given to these cats. A family friend of ours owns 12 cats [the ironic thing is that she's actually allergic!] and I go round there almost weekly, naturally my camera comes along. I enjoy taking shots of her cats, they're so adorable and I feel like they're family to me because I've known practically all of them since they were kittens.

I'm not going to lie, these images are probably really s**t. None of them have been edited, I never get the time to edit them plus I don't actually have an editing programme other than GIMP and it is so unreliable. I need to see about redownloading a free trial of Photoshop. Most of these pictures I was practicing my composition anyway, hence why I wasn't caring about the quality.

Like always, the full album can be found through the link below. I have many more pictures to add to it at some point, once I can find them. After my previous laptop practically exploded on me I haven't really had time to organise this one yet, so everything is literally in folded titled 'Temporary My Pictures' and 'Acer Backup' and 'Sort out later'.

Also, like with the sunsets I don't always take my decent camera round, so the quality of the pictures will change. Some will be crap, the others... a little less crap. I intend on editing these when I have some time to myself.

Link to the album - http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugKittens

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image
Very nice.
I love it! I love cats, mine is currently cuddled against me. But you don't need to know that! ^~^  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:25 pm
MadSam123
Thrown some more in if anyone was interested.

Yeah these make me feel like I'm actually there the sunsets are amazing and make me feel warm looking at them I really love you're photos. SOOO, Please do more :3, Cause you're a REAL Photographer!

Madam NomNom

Ahvrena

Anxious Sex Symbol

8,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Rally Tyro 100

scelestic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 am
I have a suggestion about your school... You should transfer to a different one. Get yourself out of there. It seems like you will never get any better being there. Or you could just try teaching yourself. There are some great online resources. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com Would be a great one to learn more about lighting which would help your images a lot.

Also it seems like you don't have photoshop? I see a few images that could be touched up and look a bit better if you did. Like a few of the cat photos that are a bit underexposed. If you cant afford photoshop try GIMP. It is a decent free program.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 pm
scelestic
I have a suggestion about your school... You should transfer to a different one. Get yourself out of there. It seems like you will never get any better being there. Or you could just try teaching yourself. There are some great online resources. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com Would be a great one to learn more about lighting which would help your images a lot.

Also it seems like you don't have photoshop? I see a few images that could be touched up and look a bit better if you did. Like a few of the cat photos that are a bit underexposed. If you cant afford photoshop try GIMP. It is a decent free program.

I can't, I've said this before. University here doesn't work like that, there is 1 photography class and I am in it. I can't move unis it isn't practical for me and if I do that I will also have to go back to year 1, which I don't want to do. I can't drop out of university either, otherwise I'll have a massive bill on my head and it would've been a waste of my time.

No I don't have Photoshop, I can't afford it. I have GIMP but it's constantly freezing and lagging out on me, that's why none of my images are edited. The multi-me ones I did on the one Uni computer with Photoshop that works, which I don't have access to anymore, that and the computer is broken again. GIMP tries my patience it really does, does nothing but crashes on me.

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
Post your own photos!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers