Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What are opinions on abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x__Death-Of-Glitter__x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:48 am
Dirty Dirty Shisno
I am a f*****t guy so presenting any opinion at all would make me an epic d**k in my opinion BUT, gun to my head any woman should be able to abort even just as birth control. It's a piece of meat that can potentially ruin that woman and maybe that woman's partners life forever. As long as it's done professionally so the woman is at minimum risk for death or barren-ness it's all up to her. Once again, I know I'm a total d**k for presenting an opinion.

No, you're opinion is just as valid as everyone else's.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm
Personally, I dislike the idea of it, and I believe it should be done voluntarily as a last resort.

But then, it's not my place to make such a decision for any woman, and neither is it the state's.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:37 pm
Ah.....about the whole Abortion thing. I think this is a relevent thing to bring up....I found it in the ED. It's a nice little rare gem really:

User Image

In any case, what do all of you think about Sarah Palin and her extremist views on abortion?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:33 pm
Just something I've been thinking about recently:

When does life start?

At conception?

Wrong.

If you look closely at what 'conception' is, it's not some magical moment. It could take as long as 3 days after a sperm enters the egg for things to get sorted out within there and the processes to start working.

Both the sperm and egg are alive on their own before conception, and don't really 'die' afterward.

So there really is no point where you can say 'Aha! Before this, this thing did not exist. Now it does, and it is alive.'

So when does life start?
Here's a hint. It only happened once, about 4.5 billion years ago.

My thoughts on abortion?
Quality over quantity. I'm all for aborting those who have left the womb as well.

I kid, I kid. pirate  

Edi Gammon

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:17 pm
Sanguvixen

In any case, what do all of you think about Sarah Palin and her extremist views on abortion?

Garden variety fundamentalist. Apparently 'potential' people have more rights and value than people who already have awareness, memories, social ties, jobs, hopes, desires...

All because of this concept of a 'soul' and the professed knowledge of gods intentions.

Because they picture babies suffering.

It's ok to force unwilling girls to become unwilling single mothers though. I wonder how those children will grow up?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:34 pm
Yami_Ichi
The DNA is different... how is that the same person?

Well, not all true, when a woman gives birth she passes on a mitochondrial gene to the baby's cells(or something along those lines). Apparently, somewhere in the far future, we could trace all females to one 'eve', dare i say? So, when you think about it, of course they aren't all the same, but not totally different, either.

Yami_Ichi
Yes, the woman does have the right to do what she wants to her body, but the baby growing inside of her is not part of her body.

I dont want to seem arrogant or anything, but...Would you consider your teeth a part of your body? It grows inside you. Yet, it seems to your definition to a 'part of your body' tells me that teeth aren't part of my body.

My overall opinon on abortion?: It doesn't bother me. Its the the woman's choice whether she could support, or love a baby.

Ozraptor

Elanchana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:25 pm
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

The biggest problem, I think, is that abstinence-only education and illegalized abortion can't coexist. If people aren't taught that sex makes babies (simple fact!) then they'll have sex without knowing that the woman may get pregnant, and then she may want an abortion because she's not ready for the task of raising a child yet. I definitely think that abortion should always be an option in the case of rape or incest, or if the woman will die if the fetus is not aborted. For voluntary sex, it all has to do with the sex education factor. People having abortions when they KNEW that they might get pregnant is wrong, because they already made the choice to have a child when they had sex. It's different for people who had no idea.

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:30 pm
Elanchana

The biggest problem, I think, is that abstinence-only education and illegalized abortion can't coexist. If people aren't taught that sex makes babies (simple fact!) then they'll have sex without knowing that the woman may get pregnant, and then she may want an abortion because she's not ready for the task of raising a child yet. I definitely think that abortion should always be an option in the case of rape or incest, or if the woman will die if the fetus is not aborted. For voluntary sex, it all has to do with the sex education factor. People having abortions when they KNEW that they might get pregnant is wrong, because they already made the choice to have a child when they had sex. It's different for people who had no idea.

What was I to do?
User Image

Do you think that people who use birth control perfectly according to the instructions are making the choice to have babies, even though most birth control is over 99% effective? It's unreasonable, IMHO, to expect people to be "agreeing to have babies" when there's less than a 1% chance that it will happen. Sex is something that humans have a basic drive for, and on the off chance that birth control does fail, a careful couple should not be forced to endure a pregnancy, even if it ends in adoption.

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Elanchana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:34 am
Daffodil the Destroyer
Elanchana

What was I to do?
User Image

Do you think that people who use birth control perfectly according to the instructions are making the choice to have babies, even though most birth control is over 99% effective? It's unreasonable, IMHO, to expect people to be "agreeing to have babies" when there's less than a 1% chance that it will happen. Sex is something that humans have a basic drive for, and on the off chance that birth control does fail, a careful couple should not be forced to endure a pregnancy, even if it ends in adoption.

User Image

Oh, dang, I forgot about contraception/birth control. I do agree that if people use birth control and it fails, they should have the choice of abortion. They're not really agreeing to have babies then. I meant unprotected sex in my last post, sorry.
Unprotected + voluntary + sex ed knowledge = "Didn't you already make the choice?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:09 pm
Elanchana
Daffodil the Destroyer
Elanchana

What was I to do?
User Image

User Image

Oh, dang, I forgot about contraception/birth control. I do agree that if people use birth control and it fails, they should have the choice of abortion. They're not really agreeing to have babies then. I meant unprotected sex in my last post, sorry.
Unprotected + voluntary + sex ed knowledge = "Didn't you already make the choice?"
User Image

I agree with you in theory, but in practice it wouldn't be fair and I'm sure there would be litigation if women who chose to have unprotected sex got pregnant, knowing it would happen, and were denied abortions while other women were allowed to have them. I don't think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control in that sort of a manner; I think it's very irresponsible. A way to get around these problems might be to allow all women to get abortions if they want them, but to limit the number of abortions a woman is allowed to have before being legally obligated to undergo a sterilization procedure. If someone's irresponsible enough to get multiple abortions and not go on some damned birth control, I see no problem with requiring her to plug up the tubes.

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Elanchana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:25 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Elanchana
Daffodil the Destroyer
Elanchana

What was I to do?
User Image

User Image

User Image

I agree with you in theory, but in practice it wouldn't be fair and I'm sure there would be litigation if women who chose to have unprotected sex got pregnant, knowing it would happen, and were denied abortions while other women were allowed to have them. I don't think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control in that sort of a manner; I think it's very irresponsible. A way to get around these problems might be to allow all women to get abortions if they want them, but to limit the number of abortions a woman is allowed to have before being legally obligated to undergo a sterilization procedure. If someone's irresponsible enough to get multiple abortions and not go on some damned birth control, I see no problem with requiring her to plug up the tubes.

User Image

That's a very good idea. And I know that if it's taken out of theory, my idea won't work, since how could they really know if the person had sex ed or if it was unprotected or completely voluntary?

What was I to do?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:48 am
Bundle of cells. So it's groovy in my book. If you can't support a child, and you are still fairly early, go ahead and get one.

The adoption system is ******** up.  

Pilfer von Durem

Apocalyptic Slayer

16,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Survivor 150
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash