Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The feeling of being an Atheist. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:58 pm
Muaethia
*hopes that wasn't sarcastic and you wern't calling me a loser*

No, no, I was calling anyone who would say "GOD PWNZ" a loser, certainly not you.  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:23 pm
I never had anything tragic happen.

I actually offered a prayer on 9/11, and went home in an illusion of how kickass it was that we were going to war.

I went to a Christian school at my most vulnerable (Pre-K, Kindergarten)

I just happened on this guild once, and thought yall made a lot more sense than anyone else. =)  

Tenth Speed Writer

Copper Forrest

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:56 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:29 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Muaethia

xorflex

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:09 pm
I have read some of the bible and appreciate it as a work of literature, but
that's all it is. It is a collection of old stories, some possible based on a
true event, that have been changed and twisted over the years.
also, what I find funny is that the original text of the bible stated that:
a- the world is flat
b- the world is the centre of the universe
c- black people are evil and have no soul
I dont know about you, but for me that kind of hurts the bible's credibility
(not that it had any in the first place)  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:58 pm
I was prettymuch always an athiest. I never truly believed God was there. I faked it for years, because for a while I was afraid of what other people would think (I have a totally different outlook on that aspect of life now. Vive le difference! Screw what other people think.)
Then, at last, I said "If God exists, nobody will have been able to say I didn't give it a chance. If he existed, he has given me no real reason to believe in him."

From then on, I was a proud athiest. And I'm honest about it with everybody (except my grandmother and thats only because her remaining time on earth is growing short, and I want to make her happy. So she will not know.)

Plus, half of the stuff thiests believe is hypocritical and just plain doesn't make sense to me.

Thats my story.  

Lee Retalis

Muaethia

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Hey, dividebyzero, are you near completing the athiest vaccine banner? (without the thing in the top corner, and with the other suggestions). It's ok if you're busy or whatever, tis just that i'm reshuffling my sig and would like that in there mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:18 pm
I've never been anything else than an Atheist, because I have always been incapable of superstition. surprised But I must say that although I am always in a state of passion and love for life and everything in existence because it is so wonderful, another result of being atheist is the enormous pain of knowing that there is no afterlife and that you will lose everything, you mind, your existence, and all of the wonders you love so much around you.

I am addicted to life and I can't bear to lose it. Being atheist is at once a blessing and a curse- I'm in love with the world for what it is and not some symbolic figure's creation, but I fear death every day as if it were to happen the day after. n_n;  

Mythee

Festive Explorer

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:43 pm
I actually am suicidal, but I dont have the guts to do it  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:25 pm
Thatisonesexypanda!
I actually am suicidal, but I dont have the guts to do it

@Muaethia : We have got ourselves a stupid atheist, right here, if you wanted one xD

Sorry if that was insulting. I don't have the habit of being rude- not at all. o_o But you just went against everything I stand for. ;_; WHY DON'T YOU VALUE LIFE?! AAAH!  

Mythee

Festive Explorer

MaddyMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 pm
My family is Catholic, but I never could believe in God. It was all too ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 am
Awww! *pats Mythee the stupid athiest on the head fondly*  

Muaethia

Maryhl

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:30 am
I don't think I was really moved to be an atheist. Just, I happen to be more liberal and more skeptical than the religion I was raised into... Catholicism. By jr high, I just couldn't play along any more, so quit going to communion... though my father likes to still drag me to masses when I'm visiting him. Kind of interesting to go anyway.. because now the experience is more like anthropology... watching others go about their traditions in a kind of 3rd person way.

I suppose my sig sums my sentiment up pretty well... wink
(In the event I change it: "Intellectual dishonesty in religion only increases the number of smart and angry atheists. This is not especially a good thing." ~ Louann Miller)  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:38 am
I'm so lucky to have been raised an atheist, by atheist parents. And to tell the truth, I've never really had any confrontations with religious people -- nobody has ever attempted to convert me. It's not like I parade around my beliefs, but I have become much more outspoken about being an atheist.

The immature little jerk in me hopes I offend someone with my atheist views and he tries to convert me just so I can BLIND HIM WITH LOGIC domokun  

Bowmore

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Copper Forrest
Dathu
Well, when I first came to this realization I felt alone. Very alone, and a little depressed. I like losing immortality. After a while I coped, and I started to feel more mature. I felt like I had taken "full" responsibility for myself: no influence, no help, no evil. All that happens is just as it does, and if I want things to change, I am the one who has to do something. Now, I just feel like a minority: different from everyone else, but only in this area. I also feel like I'm the only one who gets an obvious joke, however, if I try to explain this joke to people, I usually get a very negative reaction. Meh, thus is life.

It was good to read your comment Dathu. I had a similar transition, tho initially I felt more like I was jumping off a cliff in the dark - no support, no real understanding of what was out there, and an uneasy feeling of looming death. It took me quite awhile to come to grips w all that, but now, I feel I've arrived on the other side, safely, a little wiser, a lot more mature, and truly glad to be here!

I know exactly how you feel and felt, especially about death. When I lost the comfort of an afterlife, I was a little fearful of death too. But when you think about it, the only thing to fear is an end, and, just like a movie, if everything has come to a satifactory conclusion, then an end is more than welcome.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff