Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Okay, so you don't believe in God... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Status Quo Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:24 pm
I agree....but to as what I consider myself......umm...A human......I base most of my belifes on the principals of Anarchy.....so....whatever  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:33 pm
Muaethia
Yami_Ichi
I can describe me in one word: Me.

I live to help others, always wanting them to be happy before I worry about if I am happy or not. I desire to see others happy and joyful, and will give my own happiness to see it.

I also enjoy living for the here and now. I am not going to put my entire life into something and then come to find it is all wasted on nothing. I am going to believe what I want to believe and no one can tell me different. I am not one to devote my whole life to something; get my hopes up and see I was wrong.

Secular humanism? That sounds kind of like what you're saying.

I guess...>>
I don't know technical terms!! gonk

Yami_Ichi

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:51 pm
[ Live Fast Die Young ]
I agree....but to as what I consider myself......umm...A human......I base most of my belifes on the principals of Anarchy.....so....whatever

*begin highly offensive, stereotyping rant*

Alright, here is quite a prime example of the model of an atheist Christians envision. The theists like to mark us up as a group of rebellious teens who don't really know what they're talking about. This is a prime example of such a person. He states that he endorses the "principals of Anarchy", providing the highly logical reasoning, "so....whatever".

Okay, the anarchy thing alone is enough to get me fired up. Ninety percent of the teens who proclaim atheism and endorse anarchy are just "sk8r" punks who are too lazy to go to church, but too lazy to justify their atheism. They support anarchy only because they believe it would allow them to download music free off of the Internet, not because they think it is a better philosophy. They bash politics and religion with no reason, except to be cool.

My good sir, I don't know if you've noticed, but this guild supports discourse on the finer metaphysical and ethical questions about religious belief--atheism and Christianity in particular. Now, you're welcome to describe yourself just as "A human", but please provide some reasoning behind this statement. Your kind are the kind of atheists that Christians love to use as poster children to show that atheists are just "stray lambs" from God's flock. If you won't contribute to the discussion, I'd rather you didn't associate yourself with us.

(P.S.: This rant is not entirely this person's fault--this has been building it up for a while. Most of my Christian friends consider atheists to be idiots who just don't bother to be Christian, not people with deep logical and moral objections to Christianity itself. This stereotype is one of the biggest barriers to acceptance by the Christian masses. domokun )

*end rant*  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:01 pm
Dude, downloading music off the internet for free is what anarchy's all about.

If you don't like what other atheists are doing, stop associating with a group that's so broad that it doesn't explain who you are. If you 'believe' something, or have a strong principle, tell people that. Don't tell them what you don't believe. You don't believe it, so it's not important.  

gigacannon

Soaring Resurrection

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:36 pm
This is kind of embarassing, considering I don't believe in God, and I try to believe only in things provable by science, but has anyone read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? Described in said books are extensions or embodiments of the soul called daemons. They are animal-like in appearance, and while still a child, someone's daemon can change shape at will. At the age of puberty, however, the daemons must choose a form that they "settle" in, and do not change during adulthood. I have come to believe that everyone has a daemon, but to us they are unseeable, also described in the trilogy. There, my little irrational belief.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:38 pm
gigacannon
Dude, downloading music off the internet for free is what anarchy's all about.

If you don't like what other atheists are doing, stop associating with a group that's so broad that it doesn't explain who you are. If you 'believe' something, or have a strong principle, tell people that. Don't tell them what you don't believe. You don't believe it, so it's not important.
Good point.

It's amazing how many people decide to use the fact that they don't believe in God as a conversation starter...  

Soaring Resurrection

Muaethia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:44 am
nakkos01
This is kind of embarassing, considering I don't believe in God, and I try to believe only in things provable by science, but has anyone read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? Described in said books are extensions or embodiments of the soul called daemons. They are animal-like in appearance, and while still a child, someone's daemon can change shape at will. At the age of puberty, however, the daemons must choose a form that they "settle" in, and do not change during adulthood. I have come to believe that everyone has a daemon, but to us they are unseeable, also described in the trilogy. There, my little irrational belief.

The His Dark Materials books are my favourite ever, and I used to live near Oxford myself. However, I don't believe in the idea od daemons myself, as it came from the mind of a fictional writer (and, incidentally, an Athiest).

But I do agree with the concept of the 3-part human being (Body, spirit, soul), though the latter 2 I don't know much about. The idea of the mind not being trapped inside the brain, but somehow being around the person like a signal on a mobile phone is interesting, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:12 pm
Not to be argumentative but,
What has prompted you (beyond the membership to this forum, which is loose at best) to suggest that any of us might wish to align ourselves with a "camp?"
I don't embarrass myself by wishing there to be a supernatural force in the universe. So?
That doesn't effect my morals, which are informed by basal human interaction.
I don't see how being rational might lead to anything else in the least.

hachimitsugirl

GlitteringGalaxy

Sparkly Nerd

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:13 am
Well, I feel that its possible there is a god, but that its not the one in any religious sense. Its just...watching, observing.

I dont know, the whole deism thing confuses the hell out of me because I dont necessarily like the whole "there is a god because of the beauty of the universe" but I feel wierd in believing there is one without feeling like thats true.

Gwahhhhh I'm confuuused. gonk

I just know I really will not follow any organized religions with their idea of god, the universe, and afterlife, holy books blarb, thats for sure.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 am
Well, I'm a gamer above all else. I love first-person shooters, especially. Currently, I play Gears of War, City of Heroes, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Battlefield 2 the most. I have also played Dungeons & Dragons on several past occasions, and am slowly returning to that game.

I also have Asperger's Syndrome. I've gone through a lot of my life with a short temper, which has cooled off to a great extent in recent years.

I love action and sci-fi films. Braveheart, 300, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Terminator, Boondock Saints, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Empire Strikes Back are some of my favorites. I also have a fondness for comedies such as Airplane!, The Naked Gun, Spaceballs, and The Big Lebowski.

My taste in television is widespread. On the one hand, I love House, and Monk is a very good series as well. On the other hand, I still love the original Ren & Stimpy series, Rocko's Modern Life was a very good show, and I consider myself a neophyte MSTie, but a MSTie nonetheless.

I have a fondness for techno music, usually either rave or house techno, as well as rock. In particular, I like any music that makes me laugh or just generally makes me feel good, and in particular, Weird Al Yankovic, Tenacious D, and They Might Be Giants fit that bill nicely.

I think that's just about everything.  

ProjectOmicron88

Xiporah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:56 am
I'm a 'do unto others as they do unto me' person.

I'm nice until I'm ******** with. Then I get nasty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:43 am
I'm not really anything, i just believe in a higher power, who just made us and sits back drinkin beer and gettin high, watching us....do the same.
HAHAH  

LoserKiller1793

Napoleon_Danneskjold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 am
I'm an Objectivist (waits for people to run away biggrin )  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:32 pm
.: [ I'm a creative agnostic liberal. I believe there is no clear proof that can either deny or confirm the existence of a greater power. I do believe, however, that are many things in the world that are unexplainable by rational human reason, but not that they are created by a God(s). I believe the power of the mind extends beyond the common perception of the brain and body and that the soul exists. ] :.

Pheranya

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:27 pm
Pheranya
.: [ I'm a creative agnostic liberal. I believe there is no clear proof that can either deny or confirm the existence of a greater power. I do believe, however, that are many things in the world that are unexplainable by rational human reason, but not that they are created by a God(s). I believe the power of the mind extends beyond the common perception of the brain and body and that the soul exists. ] :.

The human soul is a popular one.

Napoleon_Danneskjold
I'm an Objectivist (waits for people to run away biggrin )

Sorry I missed this when you posted it like 2 months ago, but could you explain Objectivism?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff