Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Rings of Power Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:20 pm
If you take everything in HoMe to be acceptable in explaining what's going on, you're going to run into problems.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:57 pm
Hence why I said:

Quote:
I'm about to go check FOTR and see what it says, whether or not that was kept in, but I just wanted to ask first.

I was asking about those things and also if anyone knew whether that was kept in or not >_> And I can't find any reference to anything similar in FOTR, so I'm assuming it was taken out.  

Zurgi

Crazymexican101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:15 pm
I'm exploring those facts...let me get back with you. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:08 pm
First the one Ring did not instantly confer invisibility. That was I will assume a hobbit side effect of using the ring, because it was only with Gollum (who was a distant ancestor of the hobbits) Bilbo and Frodo that it made invisible.

Tom Bombadil took the ring from Frodo, stuck it on his thumb and there was no effect. Why? Probably because Tom was a far older being and a spirit basically (Though there have been many heated debates elsewhere on exactly what he was maia or otherwise) Sauron was also not invisible when he wore it while it was in his possession.

As for the three elven rings, they had nothing to do with invisibilit. They are the rings of Air Water and Fire. And that was what they controled. Galadriel was air, Elrond was water, and Cirdan (Until he gave it to Gandalf) fire. This is why Gandalf wields the secret fire against the balrog in Moria... Tribute really for the three Silmarils that departed in those three ways. They were created by a Noldor, of (I do believe I will have to check sources) as Feanor. Needless to say same 'race' I suppose of elves even if it's not a direct line.

The dwarven rings had very little written about them that I remember. And am in no mood to go and hunt for an answer for them. (Ish not a dwarf fan)

The Rings of men. They were perhaps the weakest of the Great Rings, and given to the weakest in spirit of the races.

When the Keepers of the great rings felt Sauron put on the MAster ring the first time, the elves KNEW immediately and removed them and held council with what to do and they were to be kept secret and safe. T

he dwarves again I don't know, I assume they did something similar because Sauron had to fight to steal the seven rings, I remember one tale about this though I don't remember where.

The men were however all enticed by Sauron for they were not like the elves that could tell the spirit world with their feas, and were won over with promises of power my Sauron and their will was slowly bent. Not that they turned to wraiths because of the wring, but because of Sauron who is known as a necromancer, and is one of the most powerful Maia.

When I feel like finding the exact quotes I will post them all here.  

Fuin Elda

Londo Mollari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:01 pm
Nenya, Galadriel's ring, was the ring of water; Vilya was the ring of air. They were crafted by Celebrimbor, who is by some accounts a Feanorian, and in other accounts a Noldo of different lineage.

As for the rings of the Dwarves, Sauron found that Dwarves resisted domination, so he could not control them as he could the Nazgul. The dwarves minded their own business and increased their own fortunes, which is why Sauron made war against several of them, while Dragons devoured others.

Also, the One Ring made Isildur invisible. Tom was not affected because the ring had no power over him; Sauron was (I suspect) not turned invisible because it was his power that was vested in the ring, and as a Maia he could control his form anyway (though he could not take a fair form after the fall of Numenor).  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:01 am
Does anyone know what the ring turned the wearer (except for Dark Lord, Tom Bombadillo) invisible? Did the book actually say? I remember reading that you sort of see a shadow of them during the day of something....so it didn't make them completely invisible.  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:25 am
I heard about this as well, but I'm not sure really. surprised It's something I could look into I suppose though ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:52 am
Rudhheniel
Does anyone know what the ring turned the wearer (except for Dark Lord, Tom Bombadillo) invisible? Did the book actually say? I remember reading that you sort of see a shadow of them during the day of something....so it didn't make them completely invisible.

I just did a quick scan of FotR, and haven't yet found a reference to it. I had hoped that the confrontation up on Amon Hen between Frodo and Boromir, happening in the daylight, might hint at the answer. No luck, but I'm still looking...  

Nerienda

churrlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:55 pm
Thanks for the help ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:05 am
I think it had something about it in the Hobbit....not so much with Frodo, since Frodo didn't really use it that much. Bilbo, with no warning however didn't know that the consequences that result from using the ring...

What about the Black Riders, didn't they need to wear the cloaks so they could be seen?  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:14 pm
Yes but they are not human anymore gonk They are actually spirits, so they cannot really be seen surprised

And the Hobbit would sound right but I have not read that in over 5 years >< I really need to...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 am
Spirits? I thought they were the half dead....neither living nor dead...Could you say that about spirits and ghosts too.  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:49 pm
Oh well I just figured the term was interchangeable...

Hmmm but I guess if you think about they are just wraiths X biggrin I am confusing myself gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:04 am
Interesting you say just wraiths...according to wiki (*cough*) they are....

"Beings of power, controlled by a greater spirit to do the creatures will. These creatures are shadows, floating amongst our realm with no purpose but that of their masters. They feed on humans, their emotions and their own strength, without these they would cease to exist. Information considering their lesser known qualities is difficult to obtain."

Well I thought it was a good definition...I suppose it means they don't really have a physical form, which is why they wore the black cloaks, so they're invisible for a different reasons.

Actually only the One ring has the power to turn its wearer invisible right?  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 pm
We still have not figured that out ^^; And well wraiths makes me think of spirits surprised The Greeks called them that often ^^;  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff