Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The problem of perfection. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xanthir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:55 pm
I'm going to have to back Dathu on this. Perfection is real, it's possible. The problem that often occurs when you ask if something is perfect is that you don't really know what it is that you're asking about! ^_^ The problem of definitions is the most basic problem of philosophy, imo.

Not everything can be perfect, though. Perfection is a very shy quality.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:52 pm
Xanthir
I'm going to have to back Dathu on this. Perfection is real, it's possible. The problem that often occurs when you ask if something is perfect is that you don't really know what it is that you're asking about! ^_^ The problem of definitions is the most basic problem of philosophy, imo.

Not everything can be perfect, though. Perfection is a very shy quality.

From what I have seen and heard so far I will have to say I still stand my ground when it comes Universal Perfection. It is riddled with so many problems, to the point of making it inplausable.

Personal Perfection, however, might be plausable. After all, you only have to deal with yourself, and judge yourself, thus removing many of the variables that plauge the idea of Universal Perfection.

When a person strives to be perfect, they can higher or lower thier standards as they please, and they have the ability to change, control, and construct thier perception, and preferences.

Sanguvixen

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:13 pm
The notion of perfection is most definitely not static.
That would change in regard to one's environment, so. .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:17 am
God's environment is static, however, if he is external to time.  

Redem

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:57 pm
I think the idea of perfection can be both. But just because circumstantial perfection is easier that a "universal" one doesn't mean it isn't possible.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:28 pm
No perfect; only optimum.  

Theophrastus

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out