Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
The Movie!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The movie!!!!
Good
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Great
50%
 50%  [ 15 ]
Mock up!!! :gonk: T_T
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

Guild`

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:03 pm
The beginning was wonderful. It was loyal to the book and when it did take liberties, they were good liberties. I absolutely adored the beginning!!

But what can I say? The rest went down a steep, agonizing hill that just completely and totally horrified me. That weird black haired chick? Who's she? And the Humma guy? He was mentioned a total of once in the book, I think. And what was up with the "get the Point of View gun" crap? They started these plots and then never wrapped them up, and that just annoyed me. And they only loosely based it on one plot point: the Magrathea crap. What happened? I heard Douglas Adams worked on teh screenplay. Did he kick the bucket (terrible loss crying ) halfway through??? Some bits were good, but the whole thing was just a big mess of liberties taken with the book. I did find the planet factory thing totally awesome though smile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:33 pm
I get the feeling that the book and movie are set in not quite parallel universes... tangental universes, more like. All of the incarnations of H2G2 are in individual tangental universes if you really take a good hard look at 'em. The movie's just the one which shifted the most off to one side, like an uncomfortable pair of shorts. 3nodding  

Destruction Kitty

Guild`

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:41 pm
Ayasugii
I get the feeling that the book and movie are set in not quite parallel universes... tangental universes, more like. All of the incarnations of H2G2 are in individual tangental universes if you really take a good hard look at 'em. The movie's just the one which shifted the most off to one side, like an uncomfortable pair of shorts. 3nodding

Ah. I wanted to say that, but I couldn't think of the words =P  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:43 pm
Miranda12
The beginning was wonderful. It was loyal to the book and when it did take liberties, they were good liberties. I absolutely adored the beginning!!

But what can I say? The rest went down a steep, agonizing hill that just completely and totally horrified me. That weird black haired chick? Who's she? And the Humma guy? He was mentioned a total of once in the book, I think. And what was up with the "get the Point of View gun" crap? They started these plots and then never wrapped them up, and that just annoyed me. And they only loosely based it on one plot point: the Magrathea crap. What happened? I heard Douglas Adams worked on teh screenplay. Did he kick the bucket (terrible loss crying ) halfway through??? Some bits were good, but the whole thing was just a big mess of liberties taken with the book. I did find the planet factory thing totally awesome though smile

Douglas Adams wrote the entire screenplay, and it wasn't messed with much at all.  

ECUnlimited

Guild`

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:55 pm
[...EC_Maya...]
Miranda12

Douglas Adams wrote the entire screenplay, and it wasn't messed with much at all.

Wow, it didn't seem very Douglas Adams...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:26 pm
So long and thanks for all the fish.
So sad that it should come to this.
We tried to warn you all but, oh dear.

You may not share our intellect,
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that grow around you.

So long, so long, so long and thanks for all the fish.

The world's about to be destroyed,
There's no point getting all annoyed.
Lie back and let the planet dissolve.

Despite those nets on tuna fleets
We thought that most of you were sweet.
Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women.

So long (x a lot) and thanks for all the fish.

If I could have one last wish, I would like a tasty fish.
If I could just change one thing, we would all have learnt to sing.

(Followed by a strange group operetta or something)

So long (x a lot) and thanks for all the fish.

That song will stick with me for so long. I didn't like how they left out the Beware of the Leopard bit, or tricking Prosser into lying into the dirt. The part I disliked the most was the whole Trillian/Arthur love story. Now that...that got me mad. I enjoyed Humma Kavula though. They did the Zaphod head/arm thing ok too. I loved how the guide worked, and how well they did the Sperm whale/Petunias right. It was just as I imagined it. "Hello ground!" *mushroom cloud*  

dudebro711

dudebro711

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:31 pm
Miranda12
[...EC_Maya...]
Miranda12

Well, apparently, someone tweaked it a little, but it was mostly his. Anyways, Humma Kavula was an interesting character. He added something different. I mean, it's H2G2. There's gonna be differences. The black-haired woman was the Vice President of the Galaxy. The Point of View gun in Marvin's hands is more powerful than a Kill-O-Zap...or, at least, a lot worse for the target xd . And yes, they didn't wrap them up because Adams was planning on a Restaurant at the End of the Universe movie...  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:33 am
Did they ever actually explain that she was the vice-president or anything? (I was distracted when she would come onscreen 'cause some of the people I was with had to poke me and keep informing me that she has the same hair that I do gonk Yes, I'm quite aware.) I just know she was there, and then later she was all hanging out with the Vogons. xd  

circuit sparks

Seeky

Inquisitive Seeker

14,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:47 am
Tallest Red
Did they ever actually explain that she was the vice-president or anything? (I was distracted when she would come onscreen 'cause some of the people I was with had to poke me and keep informing me that she has the same hair that I do gonk Yes, I'm quite aware.) I just know she was there, and then later she was all hanging out with the Vogons. xd

She was inlove with (a fangirl of) Zaphod, and wanted Trillian out of the picture (my inference...)  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:17 am
Sitting Boi
Miranda12
[...EC_Maya...]
Miranda12

Well, apparently, someone tweaked it a little, but it was mostly his.

Karey Kirpatrick is credited as co - writer. But he himself admits that most of what he did was structuring what Adams wrote into a working film (as that was the bit Adams had the most difficulty with).  

williamthebloody1880

dudebro711

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:54 am
williamthebloody1880
Sitting Boi
Miranda12
[...EC_Maya...]
Miranda12

Well, apparently, someone tweaked it a little, but it was mostly his.

Karey Kirpatrick is credited as co - writer. But he himself admits that most of what he did was structuring what Adams wrote into a working film (as that was the bit Adams had the most difficulty with).

I know, I'm just saying that he tweaked it a wee bit.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:46 pm
All things considered, I thought they did a pretty good job with it, although, naturally, some things did piss me off. Like when Humma cut off Zaphod's head. Oh I was so angry. But I got so excited and actually squeaked when the theme from the tv show was playing! That made me surpassingly happy. As did the BBC Marvin's appearance.  

Tinnumir

Ghost Chef

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:51 pm
I thought it was really great, a perfect addition to the six or seven or however many other different types of media it's been produced in...

I'm anticipating the DVD...I hope it's packed with all the extra footage and stuff... O_O

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:00 pm
Ha! I finally saw the movie! Yay me! :3

I loved it, as well. It was really true to the book (save a few parts here and there), many of the lines I recognized from the book.

The only part that gnaws at me is...did Zaphod get his head back?! That is probably the most ginormous plot hole in the entire film.  

Polan

ECUnlimited

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:37 pm
Polan
Ha! I finally saw the movie! Yay me! :3

I loved it, as well. It was really true to the book (save a few parts here and there), many of the lines I recognized from the book.

The only part that gnaws at me is...did Zaphod get his head back?! That is probably the most ginormous plot hole in the entire film.

Yeeeah, there is going to be another movie, it's obvious.

They left so many things open, so there is going to be a new one.

I can't wait to see how the Restaurant turns out.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games