Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
AAAAHHHHH THE FILM!!!! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you . . . .?
. . . . only seen the film
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
. . . . only read the book
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
. . . . only listened to the radio series
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
. . . . everything!!!
85%
 85%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 41

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm
eccentrica
I realize that this thread is old, but somebody brought it back, so I'm replying damnit! blaugh BTW, spoilers for anyone who, for whatever reason, hasn't read all 5 books.

I went in expecting to be disappointed, and wasn't disappointed.

It seems I'm the only one here who thought the dolphin sequence was painfully inane; I probably drank more beer in that 3.5 minutes than in the rest of the entire movie.

Arthur heart Trillian = doesnt work if they plan to make sequels that even resemble the books. I don't think DNA intended that story deviation at all. I guess in Disney's World they actually get it on to have a kid rather than have Arthur visit a sperm bank and Trillian as the recipient. Blah blah, Arthur and Fenchurch, blah blah blah.

In a sense, I didn't like Marvin's voice because the entire time I'm thinking, "Man, Professor Snape sounds like he needs some Zoloft." I love Alan Rickman, though, he just sounded TOO familiar.

SOME Plot changes didn't bother me sacrifices had to be made to adopt it to a film, that I know. "Zaphod's second head being cut off" was okay, until they seemed to brush that under the carpet at the very end, making way for the non-player-character Vice President, whoever the smeg that was, suddenly hook up with Zaphod.

However, rebuilding the Earth exactly as it was before the Vogons blew it up... well that just made my brain want to explode, luckily I had also wrapped my skull securely with duct tape during the dolphin sequence or the theater would have been picking grey matter out of the carpet for weeks.Hey, wasn't the computer 5 minutes away from completing its task? Isn't that why the Vogons blew it up, not to build a hyperspace bypass but because Gag Halfrunt (I think it was, my memory's rusty) was part of a conspiracy put forth by the philosophers who didn't want the Ultimate Question to be revealed? And that's why they had to blow it up AGAIN at the end of Mostly Harmless.

Allright that's enough. Best not to think about it too much.

Thank you. Thank you so, so much. You've just summed up all the feelings I've had that I havn't been able to put to words. You are one of the hoopiest froods I've ever met.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:04 pm
eccentrica
I realize that this thread is old, but somebody brought it back, so I'm replying damnit! blaugh BTW, spoilers for anyone who, for whatever reason, hasn't read all 5 books.

I went in expecting to be disappointed, and wasn't disappointed.

It seems I'm the only one here who thought the dolphin sequence was painfully inane; I probably drank more beer in that 3.5 minutes than in the rest of the entire movie.

Arthur heart Trillian = doesnt work if they plan to make sequels that even resemble the books. I don't think DNA intended that story deviation at all. I guess in Disney's World they actually get it on to have a kid rather than have Arthur visit a sperm bank and Trillian as the recipient. Blah blah, Arthur and Fenchurch, blah blah blah.

In a sense, I didn't like Marvin's voice because the entire time I'm thinking, "Man, Professor Snape sounds like he needs some Zoloft." I love Alan Rickman, though, he just sounded TOO familiar.

SOME Plot changes didn't bother me sacrifices had to be made to adopt it to a film, that I know. "Zaphod's second head being cut off" was okay, until they seemed to brush that under the carpet at the very end, making way for the non-player-character Vice President, whoever the smeg that was, suddenly hook up with Zaphod.

However, rebuilding the Earth exactly as it was before the Vogons blew it up... well that just made my brain want to explode, luckily I had also wrapped my skull securely with duct tape during the dolphin sequence or the theater would have been picking grey matter out of the carpet for weeks. Hey, wasn't the computer 5 minutes away from completing its task? Isn't that why the Vogons blew it up, not to build a hyperspace bypass but because Gag Halfrunt (I think it was, my memory's rusty) was part of a conspiracy put forth by the philosophers who didn't want the Ultimate Question to be revealed? And that's why they had to blow it up AGAIN at the end of Mostly Harmless.

Allright that's enough. Best not to think about it too much.
Wow. Took most of the words out of my mouth, though I must disagree with you on a few points. I really liked Alan Rickman as Marvin, though I do agree that it was kind of awkward hearing people say "when did Snape turn into that bobblehead doll?" I truly hated the whole "Arthur-Trillian romance," as did my other rabid fanatic friends who saw the movie. In fact, I hate how Zooey Deschanel played Trillian altogether. SHE DIDN'T HAVE A FRIGGIN' BRITISH ACCENT!! In "Mostly Harmless," chapter two, it goes on to say that Tricia McMillian was hired as an anchor in New York because of her British accent. I still cannot let that fact die!! Grr! Other than those two points, I agree with you completely. ^___^ Have a cookie!  

[-Mandark-]

Magyk_Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:12 am
i thought that the movie was pretty good. i LOVED the scene when all of the dolphins sang! xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:46 pm
I actually found the part where the dolphins sing absolutely painful to watch. I did like Sam Rockwell (i guess thats right) as Zaphod and Martin Freeman as Arthur though, that rocked. I was really expecting to dislike it, and convinced myself before I saw it that it would shame the book and was right. I just hope that the rest of the american public will be, how can I put this, not so stereotypically american and actually read the book. But when is the last time you saw a book being advertised or talked about anywhere that didn't have "Harry" or "Potter" in the title, its a shame really. Well like Jim Gaffigan said, "... But you know what I liked about the movie? No reading."  

Super Radical

Nixie Tiem

Familiar Gawker

2,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:21 pm
Ok the movie as a movie was ok... I liked the sound track... but OMG!!!!! they like completely reorganized it I think... and just ugh!! messed it up... >< I liked the TV Series one... though it could be a bit modernized.... xd but I liked how they had put in the inputs of the "Guide" in the new one... other than that... compeletly messed up  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:43 am
I quite liked the new theme tune - it was original in a way, while still retaining it's identity with the rest of the guide.

Quote:
However, rebuilding the Earth exactly as it was before the Vogons blew it up... well that just made my brain want to explode,

Did reading the books want to make your head explode? In the first book they are rebuilding Earth exactly as it was. Same with the latest radio series, too.  

Zoutout

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games