Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Could You Live With a Religious Family for 30 Days? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Could you do it?
  Yeah
  No!
  I am already there...
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 am
Razornova
Sanguvixen
It is pretty agreeable that being with a family of christians is better off than being with a family of baptists.

Er, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baptist just another denomination of Christianity? Don't you mean Catholics, rather than Christians?

Baptists: denomination of Protestant Christians holding a distinctive belief with regard to the ordinance of baptism.

So yes...there are many branches of Christianity, and Baptists are currently the ones who are making the most noise with thier homophobic views.

There is a very corrupt Televagalist called Pat Robertson, who runs the 700 club, and is an illogical, corrupt idiot...and you don't want to get me started on him. I hate him...simply put. He is also a Southern Baptist.

Then you have those lunatics who are going around to the funerals of dead soldiers, going on about how it is punishment for fighting for a gay loving country..blah..blah..blah. A good percentage of those people are Baptist.

For some reason this particular brach of protestant christianity is very outspoken, and has very radical views.

That is not to say that there arn't some friendly Baptists followers, and I am certain that not all the Baptist Churchs are doing the said things.

However I have met people who are Baptists, and while most of them are friendly, they do tend to be vocal. If you were an athiest living with a bunch of religious people for 30 days, you'd prefer for the sake of peace to not be with a more vocal branch of Christianity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:21 am
Sanguvixen
Razornova
Sanguvixen
It is pretty agreeable that being with a family of christians is better off than being with a family of baptists.

Er, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baptist just another denomination of Christianity? Don't you mean Catholics, rather than Christians?

Baptists: denomination of Protestant Christians holding a distinctive belief with regard to the ordinance of baptism.

So yes...there are many branches of Christianity, and Baptists are currently the ones who are making the most noise with thier homophobic views.

There is a very corrupt Televagalist called Pat Robertson, who runs the 700 club, and is an illogical, corrupt idiot...and you don't want to get me started on him. I hate him...simply put. He is also a Southern Baptist.

Then you have those lunatics who are going around to the funerals of dead soldiers, going on about how it is punishment for fighting for a gay loving country..blah..blah..blah. A good percentage of those people are Baptist.

For some reason this particular brach of protestant christianity is very outspoken, and has very radical views.

That is not to say that there arn't some friendly Baptists followers, and I am certain that not all the Baptist Churchs are doing the said things.

However I have met people who are Baptists, and while most of them are friendly, they do tend to be vocal. If you were an athiest living with a bunch of religious people for 30 days, you'd prefer for the sake of peace to not be with a more vocal branch of Christianity.

I'm not arguing that with you. razz I agree, especially after having attended a Southern Baptist church for years.

It's just that the way you worded your statement made it seem like you though that Christianity and being Baptist were two different religions or something. I'm nitpicky with words like that. domokun

Ironically, my Christian mother (who seems to be deluded in believing that I am Christian as well... ninja ) called me with a Christian joke as I was writing this.  

Razornova

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:47 pm
Razornova
Sanguvixen
Razornova
Sanguvixen

I'm not arguing that with you. razz I agree, especially after having attended a Southern Baptist church for years.

It's just that the way you worded your statement made it seem like you though that Christianity and being Baptist were two different religions or something. I'm nitpicky with words like that. domokun

Ironically, my Christian mother (who seems to be deluded in believing that I am Christian as well... ninja ) called me with a Christian joke as I was writing this.

I wish they would just stick to one or two names....it would make things less confusing. I guess it did kind of look that that. I should have worded it different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 pm
I saw that episode.

I grew up in a Christian family, but I could never go back into one now that I'm free.

Spooky Tanuki

Familiar Gaian

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:33 am
Isn't that show by the same guy who did Supersize Me?

I could do it. No sweat. Unless they were complete close-minded zealots that were like,"REPENT OR DIE, b***h!".

Then I would call for a restraining order.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:45 pm
Sanguvixen
Razornova
Sanguvixen
Razornova
Sanguvixen

I wish they would just stick to one or two names....it would make things less confusing. I guess it did kind of look that that. I should have worded it different.

I can agree that not all Southern baptists are like that by far. My family goes to a southern baptist church and pretty much everyone would react to an atheist being sent to live with them with a lot of... innocent curiosity. Kind of like 'I can't begin to comprehend, but as long as you don't really bother me about it, I'm fine."
I've never met anyone there who is really vocal or angry, but I can't say they'd be particularly good to debate with xD

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

elindacay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:41 pm
After attending religious schools all my life, I think I could blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:05 pm
sistersofchaos
After attending religious schools all my life, I think I could blaugh

Same here. Better yet, just threaten them all with death and perform satanic rituals on your bedroom floor. You know, turn a sad month into a joyous one full of shocked and terrified religious fools. Everybody loves freaking out the religious fools.  

Gradus

Seabhac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:02 am
My family is already very religious. I don't talk about my beliefs with them and I stay quiet when they talk about theirs, so it's fine.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:19 am
Coming back to what we were saying earlier, about saying grace and stuff, I went to a wedding the other day and I don't know what denomination the congregation were, but there were about 8 different speeches from people at the reception and they were all preaching about how God this and God that... grace was said before the meal, but I just sat there quietly, it didn't bother anyone so it wasn't really a problem. I can just sort of take them going on about how great God is, i'm like "Meh, if they want to believe that, ignorance is bliss I guess) as long as they don't start going on about their opinions as "righteous" christians on issues which might offend some of us.

In this case, they didn't, so I didn't have to walk out in protest xd

Muaethia

lucy-rulz4eva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:12 am
i would just end up hitting everyone who tried to pray in front of me. stare or i would laugh behind their backs, until they saw me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 pm
It was suposed to happen to me for a month, but only lasted a week. My parents sent me to my uncles every now and then to scare into submission. I was doing a lot of research on diffrent religions and someone checked the history and saw the church of satan website.

Well, I didn't know about this till I got there and he said something about it. So the whole week I chanted and asked Lucifer to bless my food with his darkness. Then when we got to church I glared at the preacher dude the whole time and he did it back. I ate the cracker as soon as they gave it to me and aparently I was suposed to wait. Then I asked for a refill of Jesus's blood. Which they would not give.

So he started talking about how the only way you could find happiness is through christ, luckily I had brought a sharpy with me which I used to drawl a finger mustache. With it I stood up and screamed "hail Hitler" as loud as I could. An old lady started yelling at me so I told her I was Jesus and she would have to give me rediculous amounts of cheese or I would not let her into Heaven and I would sent the ghost of Christmas Past, Present, and Future to drag her to Hell.

So they locked me in a room for a few days, but I didn't take a s**t the whole week. I told them I could only do it at my house, so I did. Then I ran and bought some pot.

And thats how the Grentch stole the cookies from the cookie jar..Okay, I totally forgot what this topic was about, but I hope whatever I wrote there will stick to your hearts like fat mooses eating little pasterys.  

Lash Vereaux

Quotable Genius

5,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200

SmurfsonAcid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:16 pm
Think of it as an ongoing party where everyone's high.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:15 pm
I believe I could since, ya know 90% of my family is composed of thiests. And I've been sent to catholic schools all my life.
So, no choice really.  

Lee Retalis

Niveous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:53 am
If they were hardcore and didn't give me peace of mind (personal space)

I'de have fun with them. Why should I be he only one suffering?

I'de pretend to be demonically possesed and have a ball wth it.
I can act extra evil and manipulate my voice to sound real heavy like in death metal. I even studied demonology enough to fake it well, with names and legions under the command of the "dark prince" lol

That is.....if I was totally open with them. It would be very very easy for someone like me to manipuate them into thinking anything I want. As loong as they think I'm super christian they might feel stupid preaching to me even a little. 30 days is an easy stretch too. As long as they kept me well fed. ^-^  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff