Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How to Defend myself? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Takki33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:10 pm
I can't say I completely understand what you are going through, I can at least give you my favorite argument. It is just a series of yes or no questions.
1. You know what a single cell organism is, right?
2. And then you know that they copy their DNA and split into two, right?
3. And there can always be mistakes in the copy, right?
4. And that can lead to changes in the organism, right?
5. And these changes can give the organism unique advantages or disadvantages, right?
Now you can deliver the final line here if they are growing rather impatient but if you think you still have some time to drive them further in...
6. And they pass it on to their copies and it all repeats, right?
Final: if they said yes to all the above, you can end with something along the lines of "Congratulations, you just told me that evolution exists."

Hope I helped a little  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 pm
Tell them that whether or not you're wrong, they're on the exact same level as you, because the correctness of any given religion is unprovable.
Say stuff like "If you believe in the Judeo-Christian god, and it turns out that Allah or Shiva or Zeus is running the show, you're just as ******** as I am, so kindly lay off a bit."

Also, I'd contact a lawyer and talk about the law of religion in schools in your state. This is starting to sound unconstitutional.  

PolityOfQueens

PolityOfQueens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:20 pm
Spanky the Moose

But the whole irony of why they wont let me be, is that "I shouldnt be brainwashed by this science stuff that cant even be proved". stare

User Image

HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm
Wait.. WHAT? They cannot force you to do religious assignments... unless there's significance to it.. Like if it's unbiased and the homework is to note the Bible's influence on western literature (I actually have to do a lot of that this year). I mean that is understandable.
If your counselors (or any of the staff at school) are showing you religious discrimination (or irreligious discrimination) then that is against the law... You should look it up and see what type of action you should pursue.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm
Takki33
I can't say I completely understand what you are going through, I can at least give you my favorite argument. It is just a series of yes or no questions.
1. You know what a single cell organism is, right?
2. And then you know that they copy their DNA and split into two, right?
3. And there can always be mistakes in the copy, right?
4. And that can lead to changes in the organism, right?
5. And these changes can give the organism unique advantages or disadvantages, right?
Now you can deliver the final line here if they are growing rather impatient but if you think you still have some time to drive them further in...
6. And they pass it on to their copies and it all repeats, right?
Final: if they said yes to all the above, you can end with something along the lines of "Congratulations, you just told me that evolution exists."

Hope I helped a little

I'd try to use this arguement but the only few Christians that don't believe in evolution are too stupid to understand anything past number 1. I'm serious.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff