Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Chemistry and Science in RE Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Interested?
  Yes
View Results

Ivory Lie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:20 am
Biohazard EXTREME
leon r kennedy
get metal gear...well if you like stealth and action...and stuff like that
That's only the gameplay. Get Metal Gear Solid/Twin Snakes if you like political controversy like Nuclear Warfare, Cloning and Genetic Experimentation.
ive had a look at that and played the ps1 version...but not twin snakes
-cough-  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:08 am
leon r kennedy
Biohazard EXTREME
leon r kennedy
That's only the gameplay. Get Metal Gear Solid/Twin Snakes if you like political controversy like Nuclear Warfare, Cloning and Genetic Experimentation.
-cough-
It's the same game. Twin Snakes is like REmake, except they didn't add any new areas or anything, just snazzed up the cinematics.

Topic.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Ivory Lie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:24 am
Biohazard EXTREME
leon r kennedy
Biohazard EXTREME
leon r kennedy
-cough-
It's the same game. Twin Snakes is like REmake, except they didn't add any new areas or anything, just snazzed up the cinematics.

Topic.

Last thing (they also added some things from 2 i believe..)

Yeah well you could try that experiment...but i dont think it'll work  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:09 am
[Well, the MGS topic seems pretty hot, so let's officially take it into the cafe'.]

But the thing aobut games and movies is that you either suspend all disbelief, or you're not gonna like it. That's just how it is. I'm a movie fan. I can suspend the disbelief of anything.

Creation of such virus is very unlikely. But if a virus like that DID exist, it's possible for it to do what it does to a certain extent. That's NOT including the Lickers. That's very complex. I mean, mutation is abnormal growth. That would mean that the T-Virus would literally have to invade nrealy EVERY cell in the body and replace the genes with the virus' while preserving the cells that need to be active. Flesh doesn't seem to be active. So then, the newly reconstructed DNA will do its work and make the body grow into a Licker. Considering that when a typical virus invades a cell, the cell becomes corrupt, it's highly unlikely. But like I said, if we suspend the disbelief, then it's somewhat plausibel for the T-Virus effects to work.

HOWEVER! As we know from the games, the T-Virus is trans-species. So that means that the virus would have to have the genes SUITABLE for virtually every form of animal that it infects. That's complex as hell.
That's where the disbelief comes along. I can see them synthesizing the virus gene by gene, knowing which genes effect which species. But this was created using the Leech DNA. However, it's entirely possible that Progenitor Virus was synthesized gene by gene. We don't know anything other than, "Finally! The new virus!" Marcus' diary.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MilitantClockwork

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:59 pm
I rather enjoyed Perry's psycology toss-in when she made Rebecca talk about the chemical imbalances in a test-subject's brain when she found the status charts.

Bio,thank you for mentioning that. heart
The transpecies status of the T-Virus is pretty interesting and vaugely possible when you take into account the fact that humans consume animals and plants to basically break down the DNA, nutrients, etc, contained within and use it to build new cells or repair old ones while burning energy to break down dead cells. If the virus infects an omnivore, it would have components of DNA it would need if the host hadn't fully digested and reassembled the bits at the time of infection continuing to the time of death... as the virus is not digested much like E . Coli. The host's cells then succumb to the virus's symptoms and reanimate. Anything feeding off of the host would become infected with the virus itself as the feeder consumed flesh with infected cells containing DNA of another species belonging to a completely different phylum.
That's how I see it anyways, then again I have a wild imagination. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:19 pm
Well, I'm not saying that T-Virus is consistent with any other kind of zombie virus from other genres, but according to the Zombie Survival Guide, the virus... Umm... What the hell was it called? Solenum! That's it... If that gets ingested it simply works as poison and other species die. But yes, since other species can't get infected by it, it doesn't work on the same principle as T-Virus anyway.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MilitantClockwork

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:26 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
according to the Zombie Survival Guide, the virus... Umm... What the hell was it called? Solenum! That's it... If that gets ingested it simply works as poison and other species die
That is our textbook. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:00 pm
Here's a question involving science: An RPG round causing a huge explosion and being able to blow up practically anything, especially humans, is not equivilant to something more, quote, "scary," un-quote, ie: Tenticle through the head, chainsaw through the neck, eaten alive, etc. Anyway, my question is, why doesn't anyone die from an rocket to the face when they'll die in one hit to a tenticle, a chainsaw, or a snake/mutated lizard/shark eating them?  

Omega_Ion_Tangora

Locust Girl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:00 am
Well now. I was under the impression that the Stragley corpses weren't dead at all- they just have an infection... (?)

Wasn't there a rule to the game that you had to burn them, or decapitate them to "kill them..?" Their brain cells don't ever decease, unless they have lost contact with the body...

They aren't really "zombies;" they're not dead. They're just referred to being zombies for comical value...

So yes, I do think that creating a skin virus that effects the brain stamina is possible. Anything's possible.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 am
On the topic of looking like a zombie, everything about us physically is due to the expression of proteins, which are chains of amino acids, which are coded off of RNA, which is based off of DNA. So, a person could be made to have the appearance of a zombie without being a full-fledged zombie simply by altering their genetic code. How little or how much, I don't know.
On the topic of altering viral genetic material, I have no idea if it's been done yet. Altering bacterial DNA is an everyday thing nowadays, and since viruses use either DNA or RNA as their genetic material, I don't see any reason for no work to be done on viruses, although they are really really really small, so that might be a bit of a constraint.  

ZombietasticGreen

Distinct Dabbler

9,525 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Seth Riegan

Feral Storyteller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:40 pm
Resident Evil never really got me interested in Chemistry. But when I did end up in that class, I started to think to myself "Hmm.... I bet I can apply a job application to Umbrella Co. if they existed."  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:02 pm
CrimsonUmbrella
On the topic of looking like a zombie, everything about us physically is due to the expression of proteins, which are chains of amino acids, which are coded off of RNA, which is based off of DNA. So, a person could be made to have the appearance of a zombie without being a full-fledged zombie simply by altering their genetic code. How little or how much, I don't know.
On the topic of altering viral genetic material, I have no idea if it's been done yet. Altering bacterial DNA is an everyday thing nowadays, and since viruses use either DNA or RNA as their genetic material, I don't see any reason for no work to be done on viruses, although they are really really really small, so that might be a bit of a constraint.

Meh, it's pretty easy to change the DNA of viruses. Relatively, at least.
Yanno, scientists assembled their own smallpox (Pretty sure it was smallpox, at least) from scrap in a lab just by putting the right pieces together.

I'm in my 2nd year in college, taking biochem and biotech ^^  

underweargnome

Dolor Vexillum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:34 pm
The thought of a virus reanimated the decased is not so impossible. Although a parisitic lifeform taking over the body, such as Las Plagas, would make a little more sense, it could happen. But look at it this way. By some odd circumstances someoen becomes infected with this zombie virus, death comes for them, and they turn, over time the body would decay, and rot, leaving nothing. However, if someone were to have this...Parasite, in their body, and it jumped into action, it owuld be more difficult, an active, living being over control of the body, it would be more fortunate for the victim to face the corpse of a decay creature at death's doorstep rather then these marvels of modern horror and science, but still the thought of doing either is...Magnificent! Horrific though it may be, the htought that we, humans on this world could develop another way to play god, well natrually, we'd all be doomed in the end...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 am
Shinobi No Kaze
The thought of a virus reanimated the decased is not so impossible. Although a parisitic lifeform taking over the body, such as Las Plagas, would make a little more sense, it could happen. But look at it this way. By some odd circumstances someoen becomes infected with this zombie virus, death comes for them, and they turn, over time the body would decay, and rot, leaving nothing. However, if someone were to have this...Parasite, in their body, and it jumped into action, it owuld be more difficult, an active, living being over control of the body, it would be more fortunate for the victim to face the corpse of a decay creature at death's doorstep rather then these marvels of modern horror and science, but still the thought of doing either is...Magnificent! Horrific though it may be, the htought that we, humans on this world could develop another way to play god, well natrually, we'd all be doomed in the end...

I agree that the idea of a parasite taking over a person's body seems a lot more realistic, but then the idea that the parasite would have a social structure and an agenda such as it does...
In fact, the idea that the parasite would communicate through a human body alone seems a little far fetched. Not impossible I would think, but still.  

underweargnome

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:37 am
underweargnome
I agree that the idea of a parasite taking over a person's body seems a lot more realistic, but then the idea that the parasite would have a social structure and an agenda such as it does...
In fact, the idea that the parasite would communicate through a human body alone seems a little far fetched. Not impossible I would think, but still.
But there still aren't any parasites that can force a person into cannibalism. Out organisms are too complex to be controlled by a parasite.
I know there are parasites that go into a grasshopper's hear, and force the grasshopper to commit suicide, then they get into the water then ley eggs which get consumed by other grassshoppers, and the cycle starts all over again.
But that's a grasshopper. There are no parasites that can have that kind of control over a human's brain. Oh well. I guess it's a matter of evolution... All it takes is time.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff