Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
What's your design education? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you...
a graphic design graduate?
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
a graphic design student?
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
studying something else?
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
working in a different field?
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
working in graphic design with no formal education in it?
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
still in highschool?
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 57

Yuka-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:56 am
SilverVixen
Alright. Here's my intense thoughts on this. biggrin

I went to a four year college and graduated with a degree in Art with a Concentration in Graphic Design. As I've been working, I've realized that to even be a valuable course of study, the GD program needs some help.

These are the classes my school has now ->

Digital Art - design and creation of art on a computer; Corel Draw and Photoshop

Intro to Web Design - Frontpage, Dreamweaver, learn about functions of websites

Intro to Computer Graphics - Graphics programs, design elements

Intro to Design - Organizing space

Advanced Studies - choose a program to learn about or a concept to develop, and meet once a week to discuss what you learned and created.

*These are taken in pretty much any order, and of the actual intro classes, I only took Intro to Design my freshman year! And I took 3 advanced studies classes (Flash, Bryce, Website design), and I didn't learn as much as I could have!! Its really easy to slack.

So I've been thinking about what I believe should be included. These are classes I suggest be available, possibly in this order.

1. Graphics Software Basics - explore the design and creation of art on a computer, and learn programs such as Photoshop, ImageReady, InDesign, Illustrator, and possibly Corel applications. Learn about file types, resolution, and the basics of scanning, importing, and using digital cameras.

2. Design Basics - learn about organizing space, design elements such as color, line, space, type, layout, as well as Contrast, Repitition, Alignment, and Proximity! Learn about the creative process; planning, conceptualizing, research, developing objectives for projects, and implement "progress books" that show each step you took along the way. Also incorporate a little about desktop publishing.

3. Graphic Design Basics - Web stuff section: learn about Frontpage, Dreamweaver, and basic Flash, learn about the functions of websites. Graphics section: more about graphic programs, DTP and design elements, and how they are applied to the web. Projects would include logos and brochures and other basic stuff.

4. Advanced Graphic Design - expand on all the other classes, add things like principles of color design, typography, the Graphic Design business, basic history of GD, and PORTFOLIOS.

5. (optional) Multimedia Class - advanced Flash, streaming video

So what do you think? Give me any feedback, and suggestions!!

The only stumbling block is the fact that there isn't a teacher that can teach these classes! Heck, if I had all the time in the world, I could write the syllabi and break them each down!!

But yes. Phew. sweatdrop

I think one of the most important things with design is a good foundation in typography. I'm a type whore. If something doesn't have good type, it will ruin the rest of the design. I think you need something in their for at least basic typography. I'm tired of seeing comic sans floating around. =D  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:57 am
I have my BFA in Graphic Design, 5 years of design classes. I'm going to miss it.  

Yuka-kun

Kunama

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:11 am
I'm 18 this year, currently studying Bachelor of Science in IT at university. The course is actually all IT subjects, with some electives which I plan on using to do maybe something in graphics/media stuffs from another faculty.
There's also a submajor, but I haven't even thought about that yet.

Design related... all my first year subjects are very much core IT stuff... programming, networking, learning how to use Linux. And a random Info management/Accounting THING. *refuses to even acknowledge that subject*

Enjoying it so far, yes. It's only 1st year, the workload's not horribly heavy.

I'm sure it will be useful getting a job eventually... I've gone for some interviews, but being a full time 1st year student means I can't apply for full time jobs, and finding a casual or part-time IT job is rather difficult.

I wouldn't recommend the course to anyone not interested in computer stuff. Go for a design degree if you're more interested in graphic design - it'll do you more good than the one I'm currently in anyway! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:40 pm
I've only taken Draw and Paint 1 last year in high school. Dx I'm only 15 right now actually and my drawings aren't exactly up to parr of my standards of "show-worthy".

My real pride is in Graphics Design. <333 I haven't had any classes for it, amazingly. o_O; I really should....but I'm planning to take a Work-on Experience class for it over summer.

Heck, even better....I'm already a hired graphics designer for a company. xD I've made some commissions for him already, but the real work will start in summer when I'm not busy with school. >.< I should be glad, as its a real job...but I still wouldn't mind doing it for a hobby for now. I'm only 15 for gad's sakes. x__X;

Rinny Star

Newbie Gaian

350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:09 am
Summanaro
Dumb b***h made us color with chalk rectangles that she called pastels scream .

They could have been chalk pastels. I personally don't like them because they're messy, but they're still pastels...

Rinny Star
I'm already a hired graphics designer for a company. xD

so.jealous.of.you

I just graduated from a four year program with my BFA and a specialization in graphic design. I was one of the first four people to graduate from the program, so it had some holes, but overall I think it was a pretty good program.

Classes I think every graphic designer should take: TYPOGRAPHY, color theory, package design, and basic art classes with some art history thrown in. These classes allow your schedule to be mixed up, and its always better to be well-rounded.

One thing I wish my school had more of was web stuff. We didn't even TOUCH on it, and all I know I taught myself YEARS ago. I'm way behind on the times/trends.

I'm currently looking for a job, and its not looking too good. *sigh* Which isn't good because I'll be moving out of my parents house in July. Eeek! Rent!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:44 am
ive only had 2 years of webdesign and last year i took drafting 1  

Jayta Kimioji

Aleksia Strike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:21 pm
Self taught. (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Image Ready) I'll probably take some classes when I go to college, but I can fend for myself alright.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:41 pm
The School of Advertising Art, Kettering Ohio

i go there. i'll be graduating with an assocciates in marketing/management and a specialized graphic design degree. it's a 2 year trade school basically.

i've been gone from there for a year though, i start back up in the fall. so i'm out of practice =P  

czerniana

124-C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:27 pm
I just pick up a few things here and there. Last year (as a junior in high school) I took a class on 2-Dimensional design. But other than that, I just keep my eyes open and pick up what I can. After all, it's just a hobby for now.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:59 pm
Well, I'm 12 years old and just got out of 6th grade, so I'm going to
middle school into the 7th grade.I'm planning on taking art classes, but
I want to be able to get better as a graphics designer too, so I'm still not
sure what I want to do.After browsing through some graphics sites, I
got intrested in graphics designing.Although I'm only 12 years old, I'm
thinking about what I want to do when I'm older, I was planning on attending
Starlight Academy because I wanted to become a singer, but now I'm not
so sure.I've been web designing for 2 years starting at the age of 10, I self taught myself.  

Naru_the_Theif

Pyon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:09 pm
5 years ago i took a diploma course in multimedia but I flunked because I wasnt really into studying at that point of time. The only modules i passed and got a distinction was web designing and graphic design. But I would say that it was pretty easy cos most of my course mates were more into programming than designing.

So currently Im studying and trying to get a diploma in something which does not relate to designing at all but the love for art never faded. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 pm
Actually, I haven't had really any formal education, unless you count useless Art classes in public school. domokun Yeah.. I'm pretty much all self taught. o_O; Kinda creepy, because like Rinny I've been employed and I just finished highschool. It's too bad my biggest employer got 'on the road' and never paid me the hundred bucks he owes me. evil 'Tis been over a month and he hasn't responded to anything, so he either skipped out or got hurt. sad

As for what I'm planning to study in... I wouldn't have a clue. gonk  

Kitsuta

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 pm
Just thought I'd bring this one back up since we have a bunch of new members ^_^

Since my first post here two years ago, I've graduated from my computer science degree and am now working as a graphic designer at my old university, with no formal education in it. It's amazing what you can learn on your own or by making friends with your local printer!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 pm
I'm currently enrolling at American Intercontinentinal University Online (AIU) to major in Visual Communications. I'm going for my Associates this year and should get it by the end of August. I will continue to go for my bachelors as well. So, I'm a new student this year, but I hope I get far!  

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

masakazu652

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:58 pm
I'm studying graphic design in high school. My school offers a BOCES program that teaches Graphic Design and I'm in my second year there and graduating this year. After I plan on attending the Savannah College of Art and Design because the campus is gorgeous... Yeah so I'm planning on graduating with a B.F.A. in Graphic Design so I guess I'm a high school student studying Graphic Design and I don't think that's a choice in the poll...  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff