Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Gay Marriage: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay Marriage...you are:
  For it, it should be allowed.
  Against it: But it isn't my place to have it banned.
  Against it: I want it to be banned.
  Undecided: I'm still uncertain either way.
View Results

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:11 pm
So uh... Yeah, I lost. And uh, amendment 43, which states that marriage is only allowed between one man and one woman... it uh... it won. crying I'm terribly upset by this.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:18 am
Narrow-minded fundies biased only towards THEIR religion should really GTFO of politics sad

You know what? All you athiests and pro-gay-rights people over in teh USA should form a new 'religion' which states that same-sex marriage is the only holy union allowed, to control population on God's earth, then claim that they are discriminating in outlawing your 'religious' beliefs lol.

Muaethia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:36 am
Muaethia
Narrow-minded fundies biased only towards THEIR religion should really GTFO of politics sad

You know what? All you athiests and pro-gay-rights people over in teh USA should form a new 'religion' which states that same-sex marriage is the only holy union allowed, to control population on God's earth, then claim that they are discriminating in outlawing your 'religious' beliefs lol.

Yeah...that is an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:37 am
PickleBoy
So uh... Yeah, I lost. And uh, amendment 43, which states that marriage is only allowed between one man and one woman... it uh... it won. crying I'm terribly upset by this.

Well....Now in VA it is an amendment now. They banned Gay Marriage.

I know how you feel. I'm not gay, but the whole thing burns.

Sanguvixen

Muaethia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 am
Sanguvixen
PickleBoy

Half-gay myself xD and I think if I end up with a woman and she wants to get married (not really bothered myself, but it's the principle of being able to) we should be allowed to 3nodding .

It's like a step backwards. They've actually banned it, for good? Officially? Not even any recognition as a 'together' couple?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:43 am
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
PickleBoy

Half-gay myself xD and I think if I end up with a woman and she wants to get married (not really bothered myself, but it's the principle of being able to) we should be allowed to 3nodding .

It's like a step backwards. They've actually banned it, for good? Officially? Not even any recognition as a 'together' couple?

Let me put it this way. They now have put it in the there that "A Marriage is defined by a union between a Man, and a Woman" and some other crap that is ill worded and makes no sense.

They arn't asking anything that isn't already being sued and abused by hetrosexual couples. So why do thiests throw such a big fight over...it?

Sanguvixen

Muaethia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:52 am
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
PickleBoy

Let me put it this way. They now have put it in the there that "A Marriage is defined by a union between a Man, and a Woman" and some other crap that is ill worded and makes no sense.

They arn't asking anything that isn't already being sued and abused by hetrosexual couples. So why do thiests throw such a big fight over...it?

World domination, obviously. So they can spawn little mini-fundies. Homosexual marriage makes it ok for homosexually-parented family units to appear, which is a threat to their traditional family values. Oh noes. Not breaking out of tradition! gonk . Surely not accepting that the world is changing! *horror*  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:03 am
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
PickleBoy

World domination, obviously. So they can spawn little mini-fundies. Homosexual marriage makes it ok for homosexually-parented family units to appear, which is a threat to their traditional family values. Oh noes. Not breaking out of tradition! gonk . Surely not accepting that the world is changing! *horror*

Tradition? What Tradition?

All it is is a big scam. Two people marry and make it a "Holy Union" before some hypothetical god.

When they get tired of each other they divorce, find other mates, and then again make it a "Holy Union" before god.

Come on...no wonder they want to keep it to themselves.

stare Selfish Bastards.

Sanguvixen

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 am
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
PickleBoy

All it is is a big scam. Two people marry and make it a "Holy Union" before some hypothetical god.

When they get tired of each other they divorce, find other mates, and then again make it a "Holy Union" before god.

stare Selfish Bastards.

That's what I find so funny if it's a holy union why do they need legal rights anyways?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:18 am
cup_noodles
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
Muaethia

stare Selfish Bastards.

That's what I find so funny if it's a holy union why do they need legal rights anyways?

lol @ white text.

Ahem, anyway.

Because even for a lot of straight couples, marriage isn't religious any more. And people get married nowadays for the legal benefits, e.g. if one partner dies it being certain that their stuff goes of their partner, for example (if they wish). It's not so much about religion any more anyways whee

Am I contradicting myself? Tough. It's quarter past 7 on a friday night. I had a typing exam today. I have a right not to be coherant xD

Muaethia

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:22 am
cup_noodles
Sanguvixen
Muaethia
Sanguvixen
Muaethia

stare Selfish Bastards.

This is what I don't understand. These selfish people are going on an on about how "It is a sacred union", and thier intent is to stop gays or lesbians from enjoying the benefits that come with marraige. They believe that marriage is only meant for a man and woman, and the benefits that come from it should only be for a hetrosexual couple.

The only reason that Marriage has benefits is because the government gives it to them. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is, in the USA a little something called "Seperation of Church and State" that is derived from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote.

If they took the benefits out of Marraige, then it would be completely a religion institution. As it stands it isn't. The benefits were given to marriage, because what often results is children.

But...not all Hetrosexuals couples have children, and they enjoy the benefits of marriage anyway.

So...what is the problem? Why can't Homosexuals enjoy marriage(and it's benefits) too?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:13 pm
Well it's legal where I live, and many more places in europe are coinsidering it... but there is a difference between maintaining the status quo, and not legalising gay marriage...

And specificially making it illegal.

They're taking a step backwards...

I despair for the US sometimes, I truly do.

=(  

Redem

I wupped Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:42 pm
Well, I'm really undecided. I have quite a few freinds of mine who are gay, so I'm not against their happiness. But being born,raised, and still continuing to be straight, I still think the idea of it is a bit well, weird.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:52 pm
I am for it, because equality leads the way to progress. With divorced straight parents, i put very little belief in the institution of marriage, and I also believe that society has no right to interfere with love.  

Ignorance is Your Disease

now is forever

Tipsy Codger

3,850 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 pm
Personally... I'm against marriage being governed by the ...erm... government in the first place.

It's such an intensely personal thing, the decision to join yourself to another person for the rest of your life... the gov't should not be allowed to say who can and cannot do it, and under what conditions.

If we're worried about taxation and rights... perhaps civil union registries, with some sort of proof of the union [secular or religious leader's signature, perhaps. multiple witnesses?].

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff