Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What Pisses You Off Today? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feeling on Ann Coulter.....
  Die....NOW!
  Ok person
  I adore Ann Coulter. (Can you really say that with a strait face?)
View Results

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:28 am
Really, Dathu, it isn't impossible to be a bit less intense. Presenting your arguments as absolute fact tends to invite hostility, though you have a point in saying that this IS the G(A)U. Still, in directly addressing another, it's often a good idea to point out that it's what you strongly believe to be true, so long as they're offering you the same courtesy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:57 am
PickleBoy
Go Dathu. And may I say, nice quote towers peeps. sweatdrop And, if it weren't 4:16 in the morning, I'd be able to say something other than, Damn, that was a lot of words for a few thoughts. It was like... Declaration of Independance worthy. Shakespeare even! @.@ *wobbles away to bed*
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

I try to avoid quote towers, but it was late, and I was lazy. (I usually delete all the quotes except the last two or three.)

And being tired as I was, I seemed to have forgotten that this is the GAU. (EDIT: Another reason I forgot, was that I had just joined three guilds last night, and I was posting in the GD and ED. Perhaps I should avoid doing so much so late, so I can keep track of just what I'm doing.)

Dathu, I apologize.

Tenth Speed Writer, while it is reassuring to see an Atheist agreeing with me on this, Dathu's right. This is the one place he should be able to state his view on the nonexistance of dieties as fact.

The only reason I continued to press that issue was because I wrongly assumed you (Dathu) treat your view this way everywhere, and not just in the company of your fellow Atheists. Again, I humbly apologize.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell, that's chaining up the world

+Gloria Domini+

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:21 am
I'm mad because the state of Texas has instituted a limit on how many classes you can take before you graduate and if you go past the limit, you have to pay out-of-state tuition. They are taking all the learning out of college. Get in, get your degree, and get the hell out. How dare they!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:54 am
Rilian
I'm mad because the state of Texas has instituted a limit on how many classes you can take before you graduate and if you go past the limit, you have to pay out-of-state tuition. They are taking all the learning out of college. Get in, get your degree, and get the hell out. How dare they!

That's ridiculous!

+Gloria Domini+

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:50 pm
+Gloria Domini+
PickleBoy
Go Dathu. And may I say, nice quote towers peeps. sweatdrop And, if it weren't 4:16 in the morning, I'd be able to say something other than, Damn, that was a lot of words for a few thoughts. It was like... Declaration of Independance worthy. Shakespeare even! @.@ *wobbles away to bed*

I try to avoid quote towers, but it was late, and I was lazy. (I usually delete all the quotes except the last two or three.)

And being tired as I was, I seemed to have forgotten that this is the GAU. (EDIT: Another reason I forgot, was that I had just joined three guilds last night, and I was posting in the GD and ED. Perhaps I should avoid doing so much so late, so I can keep track of just what I'm doing.)

Dathu, I apologize.

Tenth Speed Writer, while it is reassuring to see an Atheist agreeing with me on this, Dathu's right. This is the one place he should be able to state his view on the nonexistance of dieties as fact.

The only reason I continued to press that issue was because I wrongly assumed you (Dathu) treat your view this way everywhere, and not just in the company of your fellow Atheists. Again, I humbly apologize.

No appologies necessary. I love a good debate, and I'm sure we're gunna have a lot more. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Chill, mah babies xDD
(okay, so that's probably only funny to me.)

I don't know if there's anything I need to reply to now.

This is directed at Gloria, but it's kind of general too.
Apologies from you or not, I'd rather my guild members be freely intense than worried about posting improperly or not.

I don't want to rehash everything and beat it to death, but I did want to say I do agree that there shouldn't be- " the obvious hostility of someone sitting around saying the view he or she holds is the only correct one." If talking about your beliefs, it'd be dishonest to weaken your views if that's not really how you feel. But it depends on what you say and in what kind of conversation or debate. It even depends on what kind of assumptions you make about using a certain term. Hence an atheist guild. We can get past at least one issue and not have it constantly brought up.

What you were wanting seems to be something to show that we (or whoever being addressed at the moment) recognize other people's right to express other opinions and that we don't need to ignore other views because we can consider challenging beliefs.
And I think that's implied here a lot, which isn't the case everywhere. It's implied that you are talking about yourself and what you think because for most atheists, even when you say 'there is no god' it's actually followed up with the understanding that you think that way because you have no facts/reason to think otherwise, but if something did present itself to challenge you then of course you would deal with it. When we post here we might take it for granted that we understand eachother on that.
You are in the guild on provision that you can let these things go enough to not make an issue of it here. What you've been doing is subtly 'hostile' too.
If you really have concerns, PM me.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

+Gloria Domini+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Understood. I'll keep from bringing that up in the future, in the guild.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:24 pm
||_______________________

• If it's something you really think is out of hand still, you can bring it up to me 3nodding Don't want you to feel like you have to just take everything without any say xP

--

And I am pissed today because although I have $80 on a university bookstore card to use on text books, I might not need any D:< What the hell is this? Both of my art history teachers seem to be only doing readings they place on line from various sources. I might be wrong, haven't heard from one class yet but no books are listed online for the courses.
        I really hope the card doesn't expire x.x
_______________________||

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:55 pm
I haven't been letting things piss me off lately. Life sucks. What else is new? I'm not the only one not having any fun. other people have it worse off than me so I don't worry about myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:10 pm
Fenky
I haven't been letting things piss me off lately. Life sucks. What else is new? I'm not the only one not having any fun. other people have it worse off than me so I don't worry about myself.

Good philosophy. But the other people are just pointing out the extra ordinary suckish points in life.  

russiangal367

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:25 pm
Caustic

I wholeheartedly agree that this should be a place where nobody should have to watch their words against religion, but I still feel that it's unnecessary to be more hostile than is called for. I don't know if it was Dathu or Gloria that initially stared it, but I personally feel that, having only read the second half, Dathu was just a bit over the top.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:38 pm
hippies; hippies piss me off... I think it might be the upbeat music..or the misunderstanding of liberal ideas that they possess. lol  

The Candy Store Massacre

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:52 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Caustic

I wholeheartedly agree that this should be a place where nobody should have to watch their words against religion, but I still feel that it's unnecessary to be more hostile than is called for. I don't know if it was Dathu or Gloria that initially stared it, but I personally feel that, having only read the second half, Dathu was just a bit over the top.

• PM me if you want.
        I'm dropping this discussion in the guild because everyone else knows it's over and everything's fine with everyone involved. Both of them said it was okay as it was a misunderstanding of sorts, and I've talked to both of them outside of the guild. There really just isn't anything going on.

If you do PM me, be prepared to read everything that happened and show me why you disagree.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:19 pm
c a u s t i c
Tenth Speed Writer
Caustic

• PM me if you want.
        I'm dropping this discussion in the guild because everyone else knows it's over and everything's fine with everyone involved. Both of them said it was okay as it was a misunderstanding of sorts, and I've talked to both of them outside of the guild. There really just isn't anything going on.

If you do PM me, be prepared to read everything that happened and show me why you disagree.

No.. honestly, I'd like to drop it as well. Not worth the tension. I was just trying to pull on this conversation to inject my own hippie-philosophy where it probably doesn't belong.

My apologies.  

Tenth Speed Writer

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:30 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
c a u s t i c
Tenth Speed Writer
Caustic

• PM me if you want.

No.. honestly, I'd like to drop it as well. Not worth the tension. I was just trying to pull on this conversation to inject my own hippie-philosophy where it probably doesn't belong.

My apologies.

Oh? Is that a shot? Are you trying to say.. that by posting in a manner that talks about exactly what this thread was for..is wrong? I honestly don't care if I interuppted the end of an argument that was sudo-off topic. Now i'll ask you kindly to shut up, because you sir, are pissing me off. Hey look! That was on-topic too.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff