Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
---Chinese/Asian Superstition----- Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

believe?
  yes
  no
  some
View Results

hip2b^2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:35 pm
Hmm, I'm trying to think of stuff my mom said, oh yeah!

-Don't give clocks/watches as gifts, especially to elders [counting down there last minutes till death, or something like that blaugh my friend [[not chinese]] gave me an alarm clock for my birthday and showed my parents blaugh HAHA]
-Don't give/recieve insense (sp) as a gift
-umm, you shouldn've have 7 dishes at the table [for dinner]

OH and my mom told me that I wasn't alowed to peirce my ears anymore! I have the normal two and the lobes, but I'm not allowed to get any more gonk I just want two more on one ear!! gonk She just said, "NO" and that it wouldn't be good for me.. "the shape of the ear is a reflection of the person's body" I suppose what she meant was that if I punture holes into it, it'd be bad for my body, like I'd be cursing it or something... *sighs*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:18 am
i believe in almost all of them.
haha.
*you cannot step on your book/ walk across them 'cos then, you will not get good results.
*never owe money over the chinese new year, or you will owe that person for life.
and a lot more, all that i believe.
well, maybe cos my family's rather superstitious and fengshui and traditional.
haha.  

kt_jingle

Mingkit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:28 am
my mum told me when the clothes are outside you need to take them in before dark or ghosts go in them and make you go crazy.

(might be a way just to get me to take in clothes though)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:20 pm
I'm slightly superstitious... Like that one superstition that says to 'hold your breath while passing a cememtary', I always did that as a little kid. I haven't seen a cemetary in about 4 years, so I really can't do it now. Also, I beleive in 'inner peace', and well, I don't really recall any Chinese superstitions, even though my friend Amanda has told me many of them. >.< I have a scatter memory.  

NoNewNews

Kuchiki_san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 pm
THE Number 4 means death  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:59 pm
i dont believe in this kind of stuff....

&& the number 4 means death cuz in
CHINESE when you say "4" it sounds
like death...  

[.Mihiko-chan.]

KagomeSohma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:30 pm
My mom said that it was bad luck to share pears...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:06 am
wahhhh! I sleep across a mirror but its kinda blocked no wonder why I always feel soemthing that I don't try to look closely at .. i do walk across books yikes

okay so my grandma says that its bad luck to: wear a white ribbon in your hair it means death and bad luck.

Then they say that its bad luck to leave a dead animals eyes open it means they died an angery and terrible death.

Do not wear a white paper hat on your head it means that your dead and its also bad luck  

kyoslove74

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First step to fame 200

Lawrencew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 am
I think you don't wear white ribbons in your hair because that's what Chinese people wear at traditional funerals.

And with the paper hat, isn't it because you burn paper clothes for the dead?

My mum said that you shouldn't draw on a sleeping person's face, because your soul, after it's been wandering around, wouldn't recognize you when it tried to find you again. Then you'd die.

To do with Feng Shui, I think you're not supposed to have a bed facing the door. For example, if someone had tunnel vision, and they looked into your room from the door straight on, they shouldn't see your door.

My grandmother said you're not supposed to eat food that was intended for someone who's dying. Not sure about the reason. You're just supposed to throw it away.

If you like to eat sweet things while you're pregnant, it's a girl. If you like sour things, it's a boy.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:00 pm
`intox!cated[sins]

I don't really believe in superstitions.
          I remember my mum telling me things like 'the number four is bad luck cause it sounds like die in chinese, so don't get a house with the number 4 in it'
          And 'the number 8 is lucky, and if you get your house number to be 88 or 888 then you will have super good luck.'

same here mrgreen the # superstition can be freaky though.there's one day when I am participating in cross country running.the coach gave me the number 444!!! xd but luckily I qualified lol
superstitions learned from my grandma:
Quote:
don't wear white ribbons in your hair because that's what Chinese people wear at traditional funerals

don't wear the colour lavender (or pwn sth with the color lavender),i don't know why though i think it can be worn during funerals...
i've been 2 a traditional funeral...kind of freaky  

...[N].ight.[R].ain...

QueenHawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:34 pm
Yup, don't wear any white on your head, and also that when there is a lighting/thunderstorm, don't sleep with your feet pointing up? I'm not sure why though. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:52 pm
Lawrencew

My mum said that you shouldn't draw on a sleeping person's face, because your soul, after it's been wandering around, wouldn't recognize you when it tried to find you again. Then you'd die.

haha I saw that on tv it was so weird.

And dead people wear white cone hats I put a really pale blue cone hat on my dog for his birthday and my mom told me to colour it or my dad would get mad...

I know one its like never hit a person with a shoe because it is like 打小人

My friend told me at her school they were learning about Chinese New years so the teacher was going to give everyone a red envelople and this Chinese lady was going to put chocolate coins in them but the teacher put joss paper in the (paper you burn for dead family members) and the chinese lady was so pissed  

Weiwei Haoma

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 am
soumakisa

- Clipping toenails or fingernails at night is bad luck; the person will be visited by a ghost.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.They are after me pot of gold. D<

OO: I heard that from xxxHolic.

But Yuuko said you wouldn't be able to attend your parent's funeral.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:18 pm
soumakisa
t0shi0

'Mm.

I dunno.

But Tosh thinks it works in mando?

164 = A chain of deaths? Roughly translated.

25257758 = Love me, love me, kiss me.

nono.. 164 = yi lu si... (dying along the road)

here's some other superstitions:

- do not keep staring at a cementry grave (unless u are paying ur respects)... you will have bad luck... and the soul may haunt you...

- if the dog howls or have teary eyes.. it means they have seen a ghost.

- if you dream that your tooth fell, it means someone close to you will pass away...

- if u dream of a snake holding tightly, it means u will meet your soulmate

- sleeping across something reflective causes bad luck or bad health

- black cats crossing the street in front of you cause bad luck.

- never point at the moon.. bad luck...

- Clipping toenails or fingernails at night is bad luck; the person will be visited by a ghost.

- It is bad luck to have two room doors face each other. (feng shui)

- Couples with the same surname cannot marry; even if they are not related, they still belong to the same ancestry.

- A baby with wide and thick ears will live prosperously.

- A baby with more than one hair crown will be mischievous and disobedient. (this one is very true xD)

- do not give perfume as a present to your bf/gf - it leads to a breakup (this is what my thai friend told me.. and so far it's kinda true.. )

- do not give a clock as a present as well... for it means u are telling the person to die.. and his 'time' is up...

i know most of those lol
"if the dog howls or have teary eyes.. it means they have seen a ghost."
omg,i once have a dog have teary eyes!!!!!!!!
"It is bad luck to have two room doors face each other. (feng shui)"
my study's door is facing my dad's room door!!same as my bedroom door!!!
there's one:do not sit on a pillow...it might cause u bad luck  

...[N].ight.[R].ain...

the_haunted_boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:08 pm
I have not heard of that many of these, so I do not know if I should believe.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff