Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
CNN's Discrimination Against Atheists. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:21 am
Dathu

You know, I never got that feeling from Dawkins, but a lot of people say that, so I must not be seeing something. Hmm.

Well, he seems so smug, and trots out the same stock answers he's used a hundred times before. And he seems a little intolerant to me. I can barely imagine how that must look to the fundie religious people.

Dathu

My only real complaint about the woman is what the black reverend kept asking her where her morals came from, I wish she would have just said "Logic and reason." I was practically chanting it at the TV when I saw it live, as though I were jockying a horse in a race. Oh well.

I know. I would have liked her to reply with something like "The same place as your's, society."  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:14 am
I'm glad that I went to bed one night in the United States of America, a "free country with no nationally sanctioned religion," and the next day woke up in "UH-MERIKA; GOD'S CHOSEN NATION UNDER THE ONE AND ONLY CHRISTIAN GOD."

I think that's what bothers me most. The fact that all of a sudden we are a christian nation. I know there has been this jesus-flavored backdrop behind all of our activities as a nation for centuries, but having our citizens overtly state and even campaign for us to become a strictly christian nation is very threatening.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:18 pm
The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!
I'm glad that I went to bed one night in the United States of America, a "free country with no nationally sanctioned religion," and the next day woke up in "UH-MERIKA; GOD'S CHOSEN NATION UNDER THE ONE AND ONLY CHRISTIAN GOD."

I think that's what bothers me most. The fact that all of a sudden we are a christian nation. I know there has been this jesus-flavored backdrop behind all of our activities as a nation for centuries, but having our citizens overtly state and even campaign for us to become a strictly christian nation is very threatening.

It bothers me that these people are so arrogent as to think they can rewrite history as they see fit.

While some of the people who founded our country might have been Christian, a majority of them came to the colonies to escape religious persecution. Like it or not, many of the people who build this land to what it was now were converted to Christianity but not all too willingly.

Our founding fathers had many countries to look to as models of "What not to do". It is not the place of anyone to rewrite what history has taken place, and when people do that, or try to it gets on my nerves.

It is kind of like those....people in my area that are trying to gather all theists together and enlist new ones to join this "Big event" where they rededicate America and Virginia to "God". My thing is....if your god created the world, than what is the point of dedicating something you think he or she made to him/her? It's a bit odd, really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 am
I wish I had longer than 5 minutes to comment more in this thread, but I'm going to have to say that I renounce my atheism. I now believe in a god, and his name is Richard Dawkins. heart Come join me in the religion of Dawkinism! I'm buying his book, and I think I'm going to make it the first one I've finished reading in a long time.

For those of you who may not get sarcasm, the only thing I'm really going to do is buy that book and read the WHOLE THING.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:26 pm
I love this comment after the 4th video.

"Didn't the people who wrote the constitution have slaves?
Kinda clashes with the idea of freedom IMO."
- andopolis

If I were there, and had thought of that I could have said something very, very uncalledfor to the black minister after the comment of America being founded under Christianity.

It's aparent that our founding fathers made many mistakes when starting our country. Why can't we change a few things to make it fair for everyone. If people want to say the pledge with "under god" in it then they can do it on there own time. Organized religion is such a huge problem in my opinion. When people leave their homes and take their religion to the streets and start using it to opress, discriminate, hate, and convert others THAT'S when I start having issues. Religion should be practiced in the home and/or in church. Leave the public out of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 am
Avicia

- andopolis

If I were there, and had thought of that I could have said something very, very uncalledfor to the black minister after the comment of America being founded under Christianity.

It's aparent that our founding fathers made many mistakes when starting our country. Why can't we change a few things to make it fair for everyone. If people want to say the pledge with "under god" in it then they can do it on there own time. Organized religion is such a huge problem in my opinion. When people leave their homes and take their religion to the streets and start using it to opress, discriminate, hate, and convert others THAT'S when I start having issues. Religion should be practiced in the home and/or in church. Leave the public out of it.

I know. One of the big andvantageous innovations of the American Democratic government is that we can change for the better of society, such as you mentioned the abolishment of slavery. And yet people seem to think continuing this important function will eventually lead to the complete collapse of the country, when in fact it the act of changing that keep the country stable.

On another note, who is sick of hearing the arguement "Freedom of religion doen't mean freedom from religion." stare

Dathu

Newbie Noob

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 am
Dathu

I know. One of the big andvantageous innovations of the American Democratic government is that we can change for the better of society, such as you mentioned the abolishment of slavery. And yet people seem to think continuing this important function will eventually lead to the complete collapse of the country, when in fact it the act of changing that keep the country stable.

On another note, who is sick of hearing the arguement "Freedom of religion doen't mean freedom from religion." stare

I am, because it's not true. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion. Theists think we're taking away their right to religion by taking "in god we trust" and "under god" out of things. We aren't preventing them from going to church, and praying in their homes. I believe it's the fact that we have those phrases on our money and in our pledge that causes those practicing other religions to fly airplanes into our skyscrapers, and performing acts of war against this country. Those things show that while we say we're tolerant of other religions in this country we really aren't, and it pisses more than just the Atheists off.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:49 pm
Dathu
Avicia

- andopolis

Some of our founding fathers did own slaves. Some of them also freed them willingly. It isn't as though the African slaves actually had it that bad if you look to history, and compare how they were treated to how other enslaved groups have been treated.

I am tired of that too. I think they say that because they think they should be free to spout thier religiousness and religious agenda wherever they please. What they don't realize that there is a time and place for religion, and in places where it doesn't belong it just doesn't belong.

I don't want to hear someone preach about religion in a public school. It really isn't about me though, and it has less to do with Atheism. The fact of the matter is that a public school has many diverse students who come from different back-grounds and different beliefs. If you interject religion you will have to interject "Christianity" only, because as history shows Christians will complain and raise a stink over any act taken that is meant to promote tolerence religious and non-religious people. or to protect people from being harrassed for being of a religious minority. Then you will have even more problems with the fact that there is going to be much intolerence towards those who are not Christian, or towards those who are not religious at all. Children, and teenagers will not show the maturity or understanding to be tolerent of those who choose to say different prayers, or not to pray at all. Even the words "Under God" in the pledge can lay groundwork for nastiness.

Do you know what the words "Under God" got me in middle school? My first detention and bruises that lasted for a month. My home-room was in a History class. The history teacher is very religious. When ever the pledge comes on I always chose to stand up, say the pledge, and ommit the words "Under God". Well, one day she(the teacher) noticed me ommitting those words, and ranted to me about it. After class she went off about how I was a disrespectful whelp. She then tried to make me stand there, say the pledge, and say "Under god" in it.

Well I knew my rights. She has no right to force me to do that. So I told her that she was violating my rights, and that I do not have to say "Under God" in the pledge. She then told me "You'll regret your mouth and your behavior!"

She then wrote me up, claiming I was being disrespectful during class, and mouthed off at her. I tried to argue what she was doing, but I had no proof of it, and it was her word over mine. I was given detention, and when it came to attending it I skipped it. My dad found out about me skipping it and beat the s**t out of me with a belt and a cord. Anyway...my point is that religion has to be kept out of public schools teachers will abuse thier power in order to try to convert people to thier religion. Not to mention children and teenagers will harass others for not being "Christian" or "Catholic."

You know what? Why not stomp on the can, and keep the worms inside by keeping religion out of public schools? What is so wrong with that?

Sanguvixen

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:41 pm
PickleBoy
rofl The lady in the FOX news cast, the blonde president woman, is silly.

"Yeah, yeah, well I don't see that, i don't see America becoming less christian." (says country singer)

"Yeah, yeah, well... you are in the south."

xd Is it bad I found that funny?

Aw, that makes me sad.... I listen to country music but.... God isn't in my head or heart.

FOX News isn't very fair and balanced.... Every time I watch it, I always notice they lean waaaaay towrads the right. And it makes me angry they say they're fair and balanced....
I just want to know who that country guy is, and why should I care what he thinks? I think we have the proof, just because he doesn't want to believe it doesn't make it not true. It's called random sampling dumbass!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:07 pm
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

Although its impact on American society is contested, its not-so-subtle (in fact, I'd go so far as to call them glaring) displays of irony are worth reading.

Kind of relavant to the "freedom of/from religon" thing and the "america is a christian nation" thing. And the "re-writing history" thing. Yeah.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:08 am
redem

Dathu

My only real complaint about the woman is what the black reverend kept asking her where her morals came from, I wish she would have just said "Logic and reason." I was practically chanting it at the TV when I saw it live, as though I were jockying a horse in a race. Oh well.

I know. I would have liked her to reply with something like "The same place as your's, society."

Well, I like to consider myself above society. *Puts on a monocle and acts pompous.*  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 pm
Honestly, the determination of that black guy in his asking where she got her morals from is retarded. He asked it to her at least five times and the vid stopped right there

I think that they forgot the first freaking ammendment to the constitution
The freedom of religion
I mean, I could honestly worship a pair of clearance jeans at old navy if I felt like it...  

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:15 pm
darkwolf possession
Honestly, the determination of that black guy in his asking where she got her morals from is retarded. He asked it to her at least five times and the vid stopped right there

I think that they forgot the first freaking ammendment to the constitution
The freedom of religion
I mean, I could honestly worship a pair of clearance jeans at old navy if I felt like it...

When they're over 60% off, I usually do anyway. sweatdrop ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:18 am
New video.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Redem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:52 pm
Dathu
redem

Dathu

Well, I like to consider myself above society. *Puts on a monocle and acts pompous.*

Yeah? Well THIS section of society right here *Gestures with fist* would take issue with that! scream scream scream  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff