Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
my parents r sending me ta a christian counceling camp Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Robthebob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:28 am
Oooh... Ouch man. Thats gonna be bad for you. Best bet in my opinion, keep goin' with the flow. Dress either all Emo-like or semi-gothic. Thatll be quite humorous. Try to ask those questions that really stump them such as...

If in the old testament "God" said that eating flesh is bad, and then jesus goes saying for them to eat something that signafies his flesh, isnt that contradictory to his own "father"?

I said that to a church group once and they all couldnt answer. Very funny.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:39 pm
I hope it doesn't convert you.  

the_Crimson_Bolshevik

rion kioji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:35 pm
thanks ta every one who gave me advice, though my parents aren't happy about it, i told them that i was not giong ta convert no matter what they said or did. i told them that sending me any where would only further complecate our relationship, but they sent me any way. i made a new friend auctually, her names alexis, and her parents sent her ta the camp for the same resons mine did, so we got along great. i messed around during mass, started a food fight, and broke every camp rule, in the 1st day. we even got in to a fight, we kicked there asses, it was great, but we got kicked out (wow big suprise huh). so now my parents have agreed ta stop trying ta convert me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:33 pm
rion kioji
thanks ta every one who gave me advice, though my parents aren't happy about it, i told them that i was not giong ta convert no matter what they said or did. i told them that sending me any where would only further complecate our relationship, but they sent me any way. i made a new friend auctually, her names alexis, and her parents sent her ta the camp for the same resons mine did, so we got along great. i messed around during mass, started a food fight, and broke every camp rule, in the 1st day. we even got in to a fight, we kicked there asses, it was great, but we got kicked out (wow big suprise huh). so now my parents have agreed ta stop trying ta convert me.

Haha great job.  

Jessica Malatori

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:38 pm
rion kioji

Nice, very nice  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:31 pm
Forgive me for not aiding this cause earlier; I just joined the Guild today and was unable to until now.

Nevertheless, great job finding a way out of that Neo-Nazism Christian indoctrinating camp. Normally I don't endorse rebellion, however given the events that preceded it, I believe it was warranted.

I feel I must rant a bit on this subject, however.

When a parent has their child, they agreed to teach them, care for them, and love them unconditionally for the rest of their lives. If you love someone unconditionally, you need to be able to accept who they really are. You can't say, "I love you, but only if you're a Christian!" You don't get to. You surrendered that right when you had a child. You don't get to send them off to camp because they aren't exactly what you want them to be. Doing that is the equivalent of saying, "Screw it. I hate you because you're not exactly what I wanted you to be. I'll send you off to this camp to brainwash you into my liking because I don't want to love you no matter what."  

Cirosan

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:10 pm
rion kioji

Dude. I kinda love you right now. I'm so glad you owned the experience and kept true to yourself. I hope you learned some things while there, too. ;]  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:15 am
my parents have decided that since there agreed not to lecture me any more on my athietism, theyll get my grandfather, whose a minister, to lecture me for them, so i have decided ta go on another rebelious streak. my grandfateher calls daily, read a verus from the bible and explans it to me, so i sit there and play video games. he is trying to force me to read the bible, so im reading the cirque de freak series again, and a few aother anoyances and i keep doin the opposite so as punishment i get to return to the camp for most of my summer break. whens he nightmare gonna end?  

rion kioji

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:24 am
A food fight? Godly idea. I'd also walk around calling the leaders of the camp Fuhrer (sp?), and walking around like a soldier.

But, with your present problem, The rebellious streak may not be the best idea. The best way, when arguing with someone who reasons is to use the argument (really a rant) I'll quote from Cirosan.

Quote:
When a parent has their child, they agreed to teach them, care for them, and love them unconditionally for the rest of their lives. If you love someone unconditionally, you need to be able to accept who they really are. You can't say, "I love you, but only if you're a Christian!" You don't get to. You surrendered that right when you had a child. You don't get to send them off to camp because they aren't exactly what you want them to be. Doing that is the equivalent of saying, "Screw it. I hate you because you're not exactly what I wanted you to be. I'll send you off to this camp to brainwash you into my liking because I don't want to love you no matter what."

That is probably the most hard-hitting argument you can use. Just bring it up, use a few simpler arguments, and then... If you use that one, and it doesn't work, well, uhh... I'm out of ideas except more rebellion, but that probably won't work positively.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:35 am
rion kioji
my parents have decided that since there agreed not to lecture me any more on my athietism, theyll get my grandfather, whose a minister, to lecture me for them, so i have decided ta go on another rebelious streak. my grandfateher calls daily, read a verus from the bible and explans it to me, so i sit there and play video games. he is trying to force me to read the bible, so im reading the cirque de freak series again, and a few aother anoyances and i keep doin the opposite so as punishment i get to return to the camp for most of my summer break. whens he nightmare gonna end?

Try arguing back, demanding proof for a start. Asking them to show evidence, to explain what is so obviously right about their crappy little religion compared to a hundred others that all look alike and make the exact same claim.

Also, lol @ food fight.

wink

And saluting the workers at the camp and calling them furher is a great idea. Act like it's a nazi prison camp wink  

Redem

flame skulls

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:53 pm
wow this sucks *ahem*

dear parents,

"stop being idiots and let your little boy be atheist if you really love him you would let him be atheist and not go to a suckish camp where a preist stalks you and then rapes you"

thanks idiots,

-flame skulls-

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:17 am
Going there is not a good idea.

Even satirically, going there is not good.

These people are professionals. Their JOB is to make you doubt yourself and your beliefs and conform to theirs. Unless you are very sure in your beliefs, they will break you despite logic. They deal with atheists every day. They know all of our tricks and how to counter them. They will eventually leave you speechless, isolated, and unable to deny them.

Now, if you were practically a professor in theology and could actually put up an incredible argument without any support (Like a few people here), then you wouldn't have a problem. But the average atheist, unfortunately, lacks these facilities.

Hence, I suggest talking with your parents. We here a GAU would hate to lose you.

P.S. Unless the people are really bad at their job, in which case I would suggest just having fun at the camp and playing with people. You know, act really over-zealous and parade around the campus with a cross in a big white Klu-Klux Klan costume or something...  

Lethkhar

[x] Natasha [x]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:00 am
Eeek, it kinda sucks to be you!

The only thing I can think of is to try and convince your parents that you believe. If that means flat out lying then do so. Do whatever possible to prevent yourself from going...how about faking an illness (I'd suggest warm saltwater to make you throw up.)

Hope I've helped in some way...but I'm not great at giving advice.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:22 pm
GO, my friend and convert. Convert those savages so they can see the light of atheism.

Break down all they give you with logic. Your mind already knows whats fact and fiction unless your agnostic you should be fine. Question all and all should be fine because cristianity can't hold up when you question the supports it stands on.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:33 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
GO, my friend and convert. Convert those savages so they can see the light of atheism.

Break down all they give you with logic. Your mind already knows whats fact and fiction unless your agnostic you should be fine. Question all and all should be fine because cristianity can't hold up when you question the supports it stands on.

I get the feeling that trying to convert hard-core Christian's like those you might find at your local neo-nazi Christian camp, would be like trying to convert a coke into a pepsi. The only difference being that the coke and Pepsi would go flat after a while and taste the same.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff