Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
90% Of America Believes In God Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:21 pm
Haha...fashiondome.

I like you, Cirosan. Your hopefulness is inspiring, to say the least. I really hope it's your vision that becomes true, and that I and others in this guild do our part to help that be the case.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:00 pm
Cirosan
Arios V
I bet they only interviewed a handful of people or they probably just made it up. I'm guessing the latter of the two.

I hate how everything is becoming religious as well, I may move, but I think I'll wait just a little while longer. Once the last barrier between Church & State goes, I'm gone.

I seriously doubt that will ever happen. The only states that would have a majority that wanted that would be in the Bible Belt, and that's only, what, nine states? Besides, there's not an overwhelming majority of high-ranking politicians that want that either.

Not all of America is religious to the point of being a zealot, either. I live in Kentucky, part of the Bible Belt, and surprisingly, very few people are anti gay marriage. Their logic? God hates the sin, not the sinner. Therefore, he doesn't hate gay people. Isn't that stance almost completely against the "religious right" movement?

In addition, President Bush, a true zealot in every definition of the word, has a 33% approval rating, and it's rapidly dropping. That means two-thirds of all people involved and interested in politics are not zealots (otherwise they would support one). That's an overwhelming majority, and logic tells you that those two-thirds would never allow things of that severity.

True, America is on the decline because of the actions of Bush, who is currently waging a war of terror, a war on freedoms, and a war on free will. I have no doubt that following generations and historians will regard Bush as the worst President in American history. That being said, America will regain and recover the freedoms it has lost to this madman. And after that, religion will slowly be drained from government and public life.

Religion simply isn't offering enough solace for all the horrible things that happen in this world. I'll wager the next generation will have a lot more kids who don't believe in any higher power that would have the good die young, the evil life forever, and children be born only to suffer for their few short years and then die.

It's only a matter of time.

(Also, Arios, it appears we both have outfits that are very similar! You know what that means: Fashiondome! Two men enter, one man leaves...)

Hmm... good point, it is mostly Bush, but it just seems to me that religion is getting more of a grip on the government (E.G.: The recent abortion ban that was upheld). Not to mention at least three religious wackos live in my neighborhood who are hellbent on taking control of America. I swear that they hate just about anything that doesn't have to do with the bible. One of them is so much of a zealot, he threw a bible at me as I walked by, and his kids are really creepy. Think the physical incarnations of Rod and Todd Flanders....

Also, I really think my avi needs something else, I'm probably gonna add something so our avi's aren't gonna be to similar for two much longer  

Arios V

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:59 pm
Arios V
Cirosan
Arios V
I bet they only interviewed a handful of people or they probably just made it up. I'm guessing the latter of the two.

I hate how everything is becoming religious as well, I may move, but I think I'll wait just a little while longer. Once the last barrier between Church & State goes, I'm gone.

I seriously doubt that will ever happen. The only states that would have a majority that wanted that would be in the Bible Belt, and that's only, what, nine states? Besides, there's not an overwhelming majority of high-ranking politicians that want that either.

Not all of America is religious to the point of being a zealot, either. I live in Kentucky, part of the Bible Belt, and surprisingly, very few people are anti gay marriage. Their logic? God hates the sin, not the sinner. Therefore, he doesn't hate gay people. Isn't that stance almost completely against the "religious right" movement?

In addition, President Bush, a true zealot in every definition of the word, has a 33% approval rating, and it's rapidly dropping. That means two-thirds of all people involved and interested in politics are not zealots (otherwise they would support one). That's an overwhelming majority, and logic tells you that those two-thirds would never allow things of that severity.

True, America is on the decline because of the actions of Bush, who is currently waging a war of terror, a war on freedoms, and a war on free will. I have no doubt that following generations and historians will regard Bush as the worst President in American history. That being said, America will regain and recover the freedoms it has lost to this madman. And after that, religion will slowly be drained from government and public life.

Religion simply isn't offering enough solace for all the horrible things that happen in this world. I'll wager the next generation will have a lot more kids who don't believe in any higher power that would have the good die young, the evil life forever, and children be born only to suffer for their few short years and then die.

(Also, Arios, it appears we both have outfits that are very similar! You know what that means: Fashiondome! Two men enter, one man leaves...)

Hmm... good point, it is mostly Bush, but it just seems to me that religion is getting more of a grip on the government (E.G.: The recent abortion ban that was upheld). Not to mention at least three religious wackos live in my neighborhood who are hellbent on taking control of America. I swear that they hate just about anything that doesn't have to do with the bible. One of them is so much of a zealot, he threw a bible at me as I walked by, and his kids are really creepy. Think the physical incarnations of Rod and Todd Flanders....

Also, I really think my avi needs something else, I'm probably gonna add something so our avi's aren't gonna be to similar for two much longer

Why does everyone assume that when you are pro-life, you are a crazy religious zealot crying ? I'm pro-life...  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:11 pm
Don't say everyone.

I'm /just/ to the side of agreement with pro-choice.

I was pro-life for a long time, even long after I turned to Atheism, but realizing how many lives can be severely disrupted by unplanned pregnancy makes me understand why, ultimately, it's the best choice for all parties involved that if you can't take care of a child properly, you're setting them (and possibly yourself, partner, family) up for a miserable 18 years.  

Theophrastus

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:26 pm
Theophrastus
Don't say everyone.

I'm /just/ to the side of agreement with pro-choice.

I was pro-life for a long time, even long after I turned to Atheism, but realizing how many lives can be severely disrupted by unplanned pregnancy makes me understand why, ultimately, it's the best choice for all parties involved that if you can't take care of a child properly, you're setting them (and possibly yourself, partner, family) up for a miserable 18 years.

Sorry to say everyone... I wasn't thinking about that.

I'm pro-life for non-religious reasons. I just don't like the fact of irresponsible teenagers escaping their problems by getting abortions. But I don't tell people what to think. They can do whatever they want.

To your response, yes I agree. It ruins lives... but I think that if they didn't even have sex, there wouldn't be a problem. But it appears people just can't resist and do it anyways. It's just the fact that now abortion might give some an excuse to have sex and say "Oh well, if I get pregnant, I'll just get an abortion!"

I guess I'm so bitter about this is because a majority of my Junior class are animals. They say they are living their lives when they don't seem to even give a damn about it. I hate it even more when you have "devote" Christians behaving the way they do. "Oh I can just repent later." I hate that ******** excuse.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Well, to that all I'll say is that the day you get teenagers to stop having sex is going to be the same day pigs fly, Liberals buy guns, Republicans skip church and Libertarians ask if the FBI wants their IP address.

XD  

Theophrastus

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:46 pm
Good Charlotte Aficionado
Scary thought; I'm really hoping it's not that bad in Canada.

Good point, it's probably not that accurate. Unless they did really well in the unit in math where you learn about doing fair/accurate polls hehe...

Alright I know, bad joke *dodges kunai*

Quite. You dodged my kunai crying .

Anyways, my brain is bleeding.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:22 pm
I have way too many opinions on everything said in this topic...

I'll just stick with the original topic and avoid all of this abortion talk.

I find it somewhat amusing that while this Newsweek poll is claiming that 91% of Americans believe in God, the youth minister of the church I was forced to attend on Easter said that he hopes the rapture comes soon, because every day there is even less hope of saving souls. He made some claim that atheists were growing in number, as the number of upright Christians was decreasing. I choose to believe neither.

Personally, it doesn't bother me either way. Why should it bother an Atheist that there are so many Christians? Ideally, Christians are bothered by Atheists because they fear that we will be sent to Hell and our unsaved blood will be on their hands on Judgment Day. However, we Atheists have nothing like this to fear. Even if you believe in some sort of afterlife, it wouldn't matter whether the person is Christian or Atheist. So why should we be so bothered by them? We're all going to end up in the same situation after death, whatever that situation may be. Aside from annoyance by religious zealots and Christians that actually do have some sort of impact on us personally, I don't understand why this 91 percent should bother any of us.

Super Perfundo

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:01 pm
Cirosan brought up and interesting idea that I kind of want to comment on.

Religion taking a nose-dive? I have this idea the one day, should humanity refrain from blowing themselves into oblivion long enough...religion will become obsolete.

Once religion becomes obsolete I think we will see a huge surge in technological, medicinal, and scientific advances because religious dogma won't get in the way of making positive advances for humanity. That is just me though...it will happen, we just have to refrain from blowing ourselves up long enough to give it a chance to happen.

The main service in which religion has served and was created to serve is kind of becoming obsolete. It's like a profession that is not longer needed because what it caters to no longer really exists.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:58 pm
Jessica Malatori
Arios V
Cirosan
Arios V

Why does everyone assume that when you are pro-life, you are a crazy religious zealot crying ? I'm pro-life...

I don't usually assume on that issue. If I did, I'm sorry, that was not my intention at all....

And it seems to me that once again I'm probably starting to offend people with my opinionated and disjointed rhetoric. I think it's about time I should be quiet and leave for a few days, before I end up doing something stupid (again). See y'all later on in the week.  

Arios V

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 am
It's stupid to pretend that all 90% believe in the same god.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff