Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Creationist leader uses VA Tech killings to push agenda Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sora987

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:51 pm
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus
I can't see that the Right Wing takes games as a threat except that kids are usually far more interested in them than curchly twattle.

I guess that's the problem; they realize that they're so boring that they, as human beings, parents, leaders, have become less interesting than fantasy worlds.

When children are able to see that worlds so richly flavored and full of detail are capable of being made by a handful of guys in a year, then the Bible suddenly looks dim and silly. Just another fantasy. At that point the kids *GASP* realize that they should question such presumptuous texts and begin to *HORROR* think for themselves! Control their own actions. Guide their own fate!

Oh, the Humanism!

Come to think of it that does make partial sense. The ability to think for oneself, and to think outside the box is condemned by some theistic groups, or at least sub-groups. As a whole though I just think parents are getting lazy when it comes to parenting.

So many people want to use video-games as a scape-goat...because it is an easy way to try to point the finger away from the one who is really to blame when kids go bad.

"Violent Video-games cause kids to violent." Nah...really? It couldn't be the ease in which people can get thier hands on guns, could it?

That's the way it is with just about everything, people are unwilling to blame the parents (Or whatever parental figure the child may be living with) whenever they do something wrong because they didn't bother to teach their kid right from wrong or never punished them whenever they did something wrong. They find it a lot easier to blame things such as the music they listen to, the video games they play, the TV shows they watch, etc..

Speaking of video games, why is it that parents throw such a fit when they see their child playing M-Rated video games. Last time I checked, you need to be at least 17 or older to buy an M-Rated video game (I know that in Virginia you do). So how do these 13 & 14-year olds get these games? More often then not it's the parents who get it for them. Hell, it even says on the back of the box in big bold letters, what the game is rated and what's in it.

Yeah, well if they want to make kids less violent the might think about actual parenting. Going around playing scape-goat won't change anything.

I am a gamer. I know, being a girl it might be hard for others to believe, but I love video-games. So I'm pretty regular at quite a few video-game stores in my area. Let me tell something to you, parents don't care about the rating system.

I can't even begin to count the amount of times I see parents buying M rated games for kids who are 13 and under. Even when the person at the cash register tells them that those games aren't for people of that age...they blow them off. They don't care. That is why kids are getting thier hands of games that are M rated...when they are 14 and below. The funny thing is that they don't care now, but when something goes wrong, the first they they are going to do is claim that video-games made thier kid violent.

I don't find you playing videa games hard to believe. I'm a girl and playing video games has to be one of my favorite hobbies second only to hiking. I also believe the whole parents buying their young kids M-rated games because I've seen this myself. Some people claim they do it by accident because the rating system is hard to understand but that's total bull. It's no more hard to understand than the movie rating system. Your just being lazy and not reading what the label says. I'm so sick of people blaming video games for acts of violence like this. Most of my cousins and friends play video games as well (including violent ones like God of War) but they don't make us any more violent than anyone else.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:58 pm
Even if the violent video games make people kill eachother don't you find it odd that those people can't destinguish reality and super happy fun time?
And I've had enough of people assuming that morals are attached to religion. *bleeds from the ear* I just had a stroke.  

God of lunchboxes

sora987

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:35 am
Shedra Helix
Even if the violent video games make people kill eachother don't you find it odd that those people can't destinguish reality and super happy fun time?
And I've had enough of people assuming that morals are attached to religion. *bleeds from the ear* I just had a stroke.

Of course they really can't because usually those kinds of people were mentally unstable at that point anyway. The true reason they turn violent has nothing to do with video games. As for your second comment, many people assume morals are tied only to religion because they refuse to accept it can come from anything else. In most they've been taught to only see it this way.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:10 pm
sora987
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus
I can't see that the Right Wing takes games as a threat except that kids are usually far more interested in them than curchly twattle.

I guess that's the problem; they realize that they're so boring that they, as human beings, parents, leaders, have become less interesting than fantasy worlds.

When children are able to see that worlds so richly flavored and full of detail are capable of being made by a handful of guys in a year, then the Bible suddenly looks dim and silly. Just another fantasy. At that point the kids *GASP* realize that they should question such presumptuous texts and begin to *HORROR* think for themselves! Control their own actions. Guide their own fate!

Oh, the Humanism!

Come to think of it that does make partial sense. The ability to think for oneself, and to think outside the box is condemned by some theistic groups, or at least sub-groups. As a whole though I just think parents are getting lazy when it comes to parenting.

So many people want to use video-games as a scape-goat...because it is an easy way to try to point the finger away from the one who is really to blame when kids go bad.

"Violent Video-games cause kids to violent." Nah...really? It couldn't be the ease in which people can get thier hands on guns, could it?

That's the way it is with just about everything, people are unwilling to blame the parents (Or whatever parental figure the child may be living with) whenever they do something wrong because they didn't bother to teach their kid right from wrong or never punished them whenever they did something wrong. They find it a lot easier to blame things such as the music they listen to, the video games they play, the TV shows they watch, etc..

Speaking of video games, why is it that parents throw such a fit when they see their child playing M-Rated video games. Last time I checked, you need to be at least 17 or older to buy an M-Rated video game (I know that in Virginia you do). So how do these 13 & 14-year olds get these games? More often then not it's the parents who get it for them. Hell, it even says on the back of the box in big bold letters, what the game is rated and what's in it.

Yeah, well if they want to make kids less violent the might think about actual parenting. Going around playing scape-goat won't change anything.

I am a gamer. I know, being a girl it might be hard for others to believe, but I love video-games. So I'm pretty regular at quite a few video-game stores in my area. Let me tell something to you, parents don't care about the rating system.

I can't even begin to count the amount of times I see parents buying M rated games for kids who are 13 and under. Even when the person at the cash register tells them that those games aren't for people of that age...they blow them off. They don't care. That is why kids are getting thier hands of games that are M rated...when they are 14 and below. The funny thing is that they don't care now, but when something goes wrong, the first they they are going to do is claim that video-games made thier kid violent.

I don't find you playing videa games hard to believe. I'm a girl and playing video games has to be one of my favorite hobbies second only to hiking. I also believe the whole parents buying their young kids M-rated games because I've seen this myself. Some people claim they do it by accident because the rating system is hard to understand but that's total bull. It's no more hard to understand than the movie rating system. Your just being lazy and not reading what the label says. I'm so sick of people blaming video games for acts of violence like this. Most of my cousins and friends play video games as well (including violent ones like God of War) but they don't make us any more violent than anyone else.

Yeah...well some people out there are a bit loony, and think video-games are just for guys.

I just finished up my paper on Videogames and kids. Really the ESRB rating is so damn easy to understand. It just might require doing research...and come on? If you are too lazy to do research than you don't belong having kids or buying them games.

That said half the time it seems the problem is parents, and half the time the problem seems to be specialty gaming stores who actually sell games to children, and don't care enough to card them.

Sanguvixen

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:15 pm
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

I'm sick of the scapegoating BS too, parents need to quit blaming everything else but themselves when ever their child does something wrong. My parents didn't blame anything but themselves when I got in trouble, and as such they punished me and I learned not to do that again.

Every now and then I go into the local EB games to browse their selection and see if they have anything I'd like to play, and sometimes I see parents in there with their 9-year old kids buying an M-Rated game for them. In fact just last week I was in there and I watched a mother buy Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for the PC for her 8-year old son (He looked about 8 to me). The mother didn't even look at the back of the box, hell I don't even think she was looking at the rating or even paying attention when she checked out. I even listened to the conversation she was having with the clerk, who was trying to tell her that it's rated M and meant only for people 17 and older. He even told her what was in the game, she wasn't listening. Chances are, she probably flipped out when she saw her son playing it and is probably going to throw a big fuss about it.

Also, I don't find girl gamers hard to believe. Several girls I know are hardcore gamers.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:55 pm
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

I'm sick of the scapegoating BS too, parents need to quit blaming everything else but themselves when ever their child does something wrong. My parents didn't blame anything but themselves when I got in trouble, and as such they punished me and I learned not to do that again.

Every now and then I go into the local EB games to browse their selection and see if they have anything I'd like to play, and sometimes I see parents in there with their 9-year old kids buying an M-Rated game for them. In fact just last week I was in there and I watched a mother buy Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for the PC for her 8-year old son (He looked about 8 to me). The mother didn't even look at the back of the box, hell I don't even think she was looking at the rating or even paying attention when she checked out. I even listened to the conversation she was having with the clerk, who was trying to tell her that it's rated M and meant only for people 17 and older. He even told her what was in the game, she wasn't listening. Chances are, she probably flipped out when she saw her son playing it and is probably going to throw a big fuss about it.

Also, I don't find girl gamers hard to believe. Several girls I know are hardcore gamers.

Of course, which of the two following options is the best? 1) take the blame, or 2) pass the blame to something else? From what I have seen, parents retaliate these claims by saying "We didn't know the game was violent" or "We don't understand the rating system" or even "It's because we are so busy, it's hard to keep track"

The rating system on games could not be any easier, they are just letters letters with the occasional numbers, Hell they even tell you why the game is rated the rating it is, right on the back of the box. So that throws actually throws out all of those excuses out the door, to finalize this post, this comic dealing with this subject:

User Image  

Dissnitive Blade

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:06 pm
That's ******** terrible. He couldn't even wait a day. What an a*****e. evil  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:15 pm
Right after I saw the report about the shooting on the News I had a feeling something like this would come up. People don't want to belive that someone could just walk on to a campus and kill poeple so they try to find all these reasons why it happend or blame it on something.  

Zambimaru

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:20 pm
why do they have to do this? i mean, can't they just live in their whole "god will protect us" bubble and LEAVE US ALONE?? like, we the atheists aren't trying to convince others like THEY DO. We the scientists just shared our theories and thoughts, and it happens to sound right and makes sense to some other people, so why don't they just accept the fact that somebody is smarter than them and knew better than to just PRAY when someone has a heart attack?

Plus, somebody doesn't have to be an atheist to shoot 33 people.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:26 pm
these dickwads in less then 24 hours of th VT shootings have the galls to bash both atheism and video games. First , atheism, WTF!!! were are they getting such ludicriss ideas and conecting atheism to the attack. Also they sould go screw themselfs hard, and should shut up because the cristians, the Muslims. Had the west killing each other for years for what diffrent beliefs in Jesus, Not to mention the inqisitory in spain.Now video games this is just a bunch of stupid not to be looked at because video games I believe are stress relievers so screw the dim wits that said this.

P.S. Ideas not Ideals.  

SkeletonPhoenix

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:27 pm
Also one more thing were has it said that the shooter was an atheist.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:46 pm
Bring back the days.. ♥ ♥

Ken Ham is someone I am very familiar with. I have seen many of his DVDs, and have once seen him talk in person when I wan on a retreat. I am even seen on one of his DVDs that was filmed at the retreat.

But anyway, it makes a little more sense when you read what he said in context. That was only part of an article that he wrote that can be found on answersingenesis.org. Just search "Virginia Tech" and a link will come up that will say, "How Could a Loving God..?" That will take you to the whole article.

All he is stating is that sin is what caused the man to do what he did. And, according to his religion, it makes sense. Sad as it is to admit, he makes sense. Sin is said to cause someone to do bad things, as everyone is born with a sin nature.

So.. yeah. I'm not trying to defend him really, but he is a nice guy. So, I guess I am. He never ragged on me when I told him I was an atheist, and was interested in what he had to say. He said he was happy I was there, and that he would be more than happy to talk to me anytime. He was nice and respectable to me, so I'm trying to return the favor.

Don't rag on someone you don't know, kay?

♥ ♥ We had before tomorrow..

Yami_Ichi

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:13 am
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Theophrastus

Oh, the Humanism!

Well...I come from a messed up family but I've turned out okay. My mom didn't even take the time to look at what video-games I was playing, but then again I never really bought or wanted to play anything higher than Pg-13. I've turned out fine.

You would think that a mother buying her kid a M rated game like that would be a rare occurance...but it's not. I've seen that before. But it was a father buying his boy Vice-City...and then he turned around and bout Halo, and talked about how much fun they were going to have playing it together. I've seen all kinds of parents buying thier kids M rated games, and maybe I shouldn't be that nosy when at Gamestop or Gamecrazy or EB Games...but I just can't help it.

Well the mother might not care though. She might flip out, or maybe she'll never actually see him play it because the system is in the kid's bedroom. Or if she does see it she might rush to the gamestore and yell at them for letting her buy a game like that. I've seen that happen too.

But the game that is in question when it came to the VA tech shooter is Counter-Strike...and that is a PC game, isn't it? It isn't like they found a stash of violent video-games in his dorm, now is it? Looking on his computer, finding Counter-Strike, and then assuming video-games is the cause of his horrible actions is really a big Hasty Generalization...isn't it? It's a huge one! eek

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:19 am
Murasame....I've noted a reoccuring them.

It's "We this" and "We that" isn't it? It makes it obvious what the real problem is. Someone is too lazy to read the back of the box. Someone is too ignorant to take a look at a huge poster that is at many specialty gaming stores out there that explains the rating system. Someone is too incompetent to simply ask the people "What does this mean?"

Someone is too busy to actually keep track of what they buy thier kid...really? If you're there buying the game, how are you too busy to look at the back of the box and ask questions? Are you telling me you're too busy to even look at what your child is bringing in from school, or from shopping? Sorry...that is not an excuse and they should know it.

Look at those parents who's children did the Columbine Shooting. Apparently, someone(or at least two someone's) was too busy to check on thier teens who spent much time in the garage, and too busy to notice them building a crap load of home-made bombs. Did the world accept that excuse? No it don't.

Oh...and I love that comic! heart

By passing on the blame, parents end up perpetuating a problem, and solving nothing. Then again, it's not just the parents. Sometimes the problem when it comes to school shootings is that the school itself doesn't follow it's own procedures set up, or the current procedures actually place students in more danger.

Sanguvixen

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:44 am
What bull...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items