Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Discrimination Against Chinese Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are Americans Nasty?
  All Americans are Nasty
  Most of Americans are Nasty
  Some Americans are Nasty
  None of Americans are Nasty
View Results

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:17 pm
xu650863441
[Bab! Co.]
xu650863441
xoCrow
Nowadays, we don't get very much rascism against Chinese or Asians in general since we actually are the majority of the area, close following Americans.

However, in my childhood when there were there weren't as many coming to America, there were many cases of discrimination. Where I used to live, there were only a handful of people that were Chinese. Many Americans made fun of us, saying "ching chong" whenever they passed by us or laughed when we were eating "weird" lunches with chopsticks or the sort. I also had a slight accent when I first came to school here, so people also made fun of me for that.

I'm SO glad I'm where I'm living now, regarding discrimination against race anyways. But now that I live where everyone looks down on you if you are not doing as well as them academically, I can't say I'm living in a perfect place. But no place is perfect.

User Image

sorry to hear that.
The place you live sounds like Beijing where I lived when I was in China. When I was in middle school there, the parents make you study, the school makes you study, the pressure from the society makes you study. Everybody is like a nerd and a geek. In 9th grade the teachers from the 5 major classes(Math, English, Chinese, Physics, Chemistry) each give you 2 tons of homework a day. I remeber I spend hours doing my homework.
But when I came to America, the school is so easy. Now I have a 4.0 CPA. in my college.

Wow. Yeah, everyone from Beijing is smart once they come to Canada or US. I envy them sometimes.

lol send your children to Beijing for elementary-high school, then let them come to Canada or US and you will be proud of them smile

Haha yes. But their English...eh, don't care, since I hate English. razz  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:19 pm
[Bab! Co.]
Rosamaine
Niphz
@xu's OP - That is.. really quite disgusting. The behaviour of such a man. Why the hell did he marry a Chinese woman, in that case? I don't get it. neutral

That is something that puzzles me too. @_@

I was born and raised (and still living!) in Vancouver my whole life. Vancouver, has a very large population, especially after 1997 when many (wealthy) people came from Hong Kong because of the fear of China taking over Hong Kong. A lot of the culture from Hong Kong has been brought over to Vancouver and a lot of the areas surrounding it, especially in Richmond where it's pretty much the Hong Kong of Canada as the majority there are Chinese. While yes there are a few discriminations here and there and stereotypes as well, I don't find it as much as say in the States. Then again, this might be because I'm a second generation Chinese Canadian who can understand Cantonese, but can't speak it unless I'm put into a situation where the other person can only speak Cantonese (like my grandmother for instance). @_@

That actually reminds me now. In school, we did some readings on Chinese Canadian history in English class. We read Diamond Grill by Fred Wah. I think quite a few can relate to it, even though the whole thing was during the 1960s (or was it 70s?) as well as reading Chinese Canadian poems.

Ooooo a Gaia MOD!! And living in Vancouver too, gosh, I j'dore Richmond. biggrin

Why is that the first thing someone says everytime I post? xp

And in regards about school. Being "smart" is really subjective when it comes to academics. Smart in North America is pretty much "average" in places like Japan, Hong Kong and China because the values are so different. In here, it's all about enjoying life in your childhood while over there it's all about working towards your future.  

Rosamaine

Tipsy Elder

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 pm
Rosamaine
[Bab! Co.]
Rosamaine
Niphz
@xu's OP - That is.. really quite disgusting. The behaviour of such a man. Why the hell did he marry a Chinese woman, in that case? I don't get it. neutral

That is something that puzzles me too. @_@

I was born and raised (and still living!) in Vancouver my whole life. Vancouver, has a very large population, especially after 1997 when many (wealthy) people came from Hong Kong because of the fear of China taking over Hong Kong. A lot of the culture from Hong Kong has been brought over to Vancouver and a lot of the areas surrounding it, especially in Richmond where it's pretty much the Hong Kong of Canada as the majority there are Chinese. While yes there are a few discriminations here and there and stereotypes as well, I don't find it as much as say in the States. Then again, this might be because I'm a second generation Chinese Canadian who can understand Cantonese, but can't speak it unless I'm put into a situation where the other person can only speak Cantonese (like my grandmother for instance). @_@

That actually reminds me now. In school, we did some readings on Chinese Canadian history in English class. We read Diamond Grill by Fred Wah. I think quite a few can relate to it, even though the whole thing was during the 1960s (or was it 70s?) as well as reading Chinese Canadian poems.

Ooooo a Gaia MOD!! And living in Vancouver too, gosh, I j'dore Richmond. biggrin

Why is that the first thing someone says everytime I post? xp

And in regards about school. Being "smart" is really subjective when it comes to academics. Smart in North America is pretty much "average" in places like Japan, Hong Kong and China because the values are so different. In here, it's all about enjoying life in your childhood while over there it's all about working towards your future.

Don't know...so, what school you go to...? wink whee  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:00 am
Babi, this is not the place to suck up to mods, do that elsewhere.

About the whole smart//not smart thing, I don't agree with the Chinese education system. At all. Although I do recognise of course that the students coming out are better at things such as Maths and Science. But in other areas like humanities and languages they are sadly.. lacking. And those skills are at least as important, if not more, than the 1+1 stuff. The western style encourages children to think independently and make their own judgements instead of just learning by rote. Actually, to be fair, the best system would probably be a mix of the two since in the west there is also an obsession about never telling kids they're doing badly.. >>;; but talking to my cousins in China (10-12years old), they're all like pressurepressurepressure and stuff.. going to like a million extra classes in their holidays and whatnot. It's ridiculous. xP

Niphz
Crew

a polka dot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:14 am
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee and all the other Chinese martial artists. D: But whenever they're in movies, it still is like, "Imma Kung Fu chop you because I'm Chinese and therefore I know Kung Fu." gonk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:30 am
ze noodle.
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee and all the other Chinese martial artists. D: But whenever they're in movies, it still is like, "Imma Kung Fu chop you because I'm Chinese and therefore I know Kung Fu." gonk

thats like a stereo type aswell U__U they all are like "oh ur chinese, u no kung fu rite?" althought my dad teached me abit, still u dont say stuff like taht even if u want to.

Xu i think we should go to that guys house and BURN THE MOFO MUHAHAHAHAHHAA xd  

TangIzzZ

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:50 am
Niphz

About the whole smart//not smart thing, I don't agree with the Chinese education system. At all. Although I do recognise of course that the students coming out are better at things such as Maths and Science. But in other areas like humanities and languages they are sadly.. lacking. And those skills are at least as important, if not more, than the 1+1 stuff. The western style encourages children to think independently and make their own judgements instead of just learning by rote. Actually, to be fair, the best system would probably be a mix of the two since in the west there is also an obsession about never telling kids they're doing badly.. >>;; but talking to my cousins in China (10-12years old), they're all like pressurepressurepressure and stuff.. going to like a million extra classes in their holidays and whatnot. It's ridiculous. xP

Tehehe, how about chu then? wink Ok, just kidding, anyways; in Hong Kong from school start to end of high school, you only learn a little bit of English, not until University where you learn a bunch. Because Hong Kong university, it requires you to communicate in English, all the teachers/professors speaks English. 3nodding But I find Hong Kong not as strict as China, Hong Kong's homework is quite easy and less. Then I find China gets lots of homework. whee  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:03 pm
Niphz

China's history has always been pressure. It's been the battle for the smartest in some cases gonk I find cantonese parents to be slightly more lenient about homework and grades..but only slightly  

Canto Dragon

Distinct Genius

16,725 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100

-alwaysmile-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:18 pm
I've never been to America so i don't know how it must have been like for u, i feel so srry for what your father did to u. But online i see guilds and groups that specifically are made for people who hate asians (especially chinese) for no reason. What they really say about chinese ppl are awful, most of them aren't true. It's like they base something that one person does to the whole race. Most ppl from Canada aren't like that cause it's normal to see different cultures there cause it's a mult-cultural country! Proud to be canadian biggrin biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:16 am
Niphz

Yeah, I wish they could change it so that everyone will have less presure. I always suck at literature and humanities. But keep the math stuff, because if they get rid of the pressure on math, how will people from other countries say Asians are good at math biggrin  

Etaf Evael

Etaf Evael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:20 am
TangIzzZ
ze noodle.

thats like a stereo type aswell U__U they all are like "oh ur chinese, u no kung fu rite?" althought my dad teached me abit, still u dont say stuff like taht even if u want to.

Xu i think we should go to that guys house and BURN THE MOFO MUHAHAHAHAHHAA xd

lol but be extra careful, he has guns including snipers.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:26 am
black_fairy12
I've never been to America so i don't know how it must have been like for u, i feel so srry for what your father did to u. But online i see guilds and groups that specifically are made for people who hate asians (especially chinese) for no reason. What they really say about chinese ppl are awful, most of them aren't true. It's like they base something that one person does to the whole race. Most ppl from Canada aren't like that cause it's normal to see different cultures there cause it's a mult-cultural country! Proud to be canadian biggrin biggrin

Are these guilds on Gaia? Man, it's enough to hear false rumors about Chinese every so often around me. But it's worse to hear that there are people who makeup things about Chinese people online. Maybe that's because how westernpeople looked at Chinese people in the past. In the past, Western people had always looked down upon Chinese, they thought they are superior. They tried to take over China. They call us "The Sickness of the East." I wish that they get punished for their doings.  

Etaf Evael

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:47 am
@xu - Just wait another 50 years or so, we'll overtake them on the one thing that really matters these days: money. 3nodding

We should all find one of these anti-Chinese places and ASIANINVASION it. xD

@Babi - I don't mean English as a language, I mean like.. literature, in any language.

@Glassram - It's awfully sad. >__<;;

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:42 pm
@Niphz Yeah, we will, and the military might, too. Then there really will be an Asian invasion especially because the population in you know where smile  

Etaf Evael

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:05 pm
Well, I don't think any power in the world right now is willing to risk anything for military conquest to be fair.. I mean, look at it this way, China is such a great country anyway, we don't need to invade anyone.

By the way, the thing in your sig is hilarious. XD

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces