Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:04 am
You called me a "poor child".

The things in Tolkein Look-Alike thread don't count. I can counter those all by myself twisted  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:59 am
I call everyone "child" at some point. It's a term of endearment/patronization.  

Galadedrid Damodred

-Luthien123-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 am
TwilitRequiem
exclaim Dood. Let's clear this up. I am in no way saying LOTR sucks. Ok? I love the books. I know the plotline front, backwards, inside out and outside in. So don't evict me because of what I say in this post, mmkay? xD exclaim

Let's evaluate this, shall we?

On one hand, we have Tolkien. A genius in his own right. On the other we have a recently new author showered with praise 'cause he started writing at 15.

Tolkien's style is completely different to the "modern" way of writing today. Most people find it torture to read a book like LOTR. I'll admit this, I did skip a large portion of Frodo and Sam's chapters in the books when I finaly got around to reading them myself (before my Dad read them to me =3).

Now let's look at Inherritence.
The style is simple, easier to understand, and aimed at a younger audience than LOTR. Think about it-if you were twelve, would you rather read a book about dragons and a teenage vegan hero who saves the world or a book written in the beautiful and confusing (at least, to me xD) language of Tolkien's time?

These two books are both aimed at a completely different audience. There is no comparison. Inherritence's popularity no doubt comes from those leigions of twelve-year-olds who can't be bothered to even contemplate reading LOTR, for the simple reason that, to them, the amazing books are just massive, dust-filled bricks.
Which, coincidently, is what state my copies of Eragon and Eldest are in xD

Oh, and those twelve year olds don't know what they're missing out on. Do you know how many times I laughed at the line; '"Alas," said Legolas,'? Yes, I know. I am sad =)

I am Twelve. xD I hate Paolini and I LOVE Tolkien. He is my hero.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:22 am
Galadedrid Damodred
Most of you have probably heard of this man. Christopher Paolini, author of the Inheritance Trilogy. Believe it or not, I've met LotR fans who like Paolini's books (which barely warrant the name - usually, I refer to them as dishrags), despite them being largely plagiarised, or at least, intellectual theft.

What are your opinions of this man? A literary genius (*cougheyou'redeludedcough*) or a foul, vile, disgusting creature who deserves to be poked and prodded until he begs for mercy?

I love you...................................................................... sweatdrop redface
foul, vile, disgusting creature who deserves to be poked and prodded until he begs for mercy  

Crazymexican101

mystifyingbliss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:19 am
I like his books, but that doesn't mean I like him. If you ask me, no true Tolkien-fanatic could ever seriously admire Paolini.

He absolutely plagiarised. A lot, might I add. I wonder why Christopher Tolkien hasn't sued him yet. Brom is clearly a cheesy imitation of Gandalf. No one would fail to see the connection between Arwen and Arya, Sauron and Galbatorix. Paolini even stole the StarWars concept. You know, the 'Luke, I am your father part,' is like a prequel to Eragon finding out about his father.

I agree with you. But you forgot one thing...

The dragons!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:20 am
I couldn't help but cheesily imitate my favourite line from the books, and I apologize for it. But seriously, anyone who cannot see the plagiarism is an utter fool.

-xx- Nika  

mystifyingbliss

mystifyingbliss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:34 am
TwilitRequiem
exclaim Dood. Let's clear this up. I am in no way saying LOTR sucks. Ok? I love the books. I know the plotline front, backwards, inside out and outside in. So don't evict me because of what I say in this post, mmkay? xD exclaim

Let's evaluate this, shall we?

On one hand, we have Tolkien. A genius in his own right. On the other we have a recently new author showered with praise 'cause he started writing at 15.

Tolkien's style is completely different to the "modern" way of writing today. Most people find it torture to read a book like LOTR. I'll admit this, I did skip a large portion of Frodo and Sam's chapters in the books when I finaly got around to reading them myself (before my Dad read them to me =3).

Now let's look at Inherritence.
The style is simple, easier to understand, and aimed at a younger audience than LOTR. Think about it-if you were twelve, would you rather read a book about dragons and a teenage vegan hero who saves the world or a book written in the beautiful and confusing (at least, to me xD) language of Tolkien's time?

These two books are both aimed at a completely different audience. There is no comparison. Inherritence's popularity no doubt comes from those leigions of twelve-year-olds who can't be bothered to even contemplate reading LOTR, for the simple reason that, to them, the amazing books are just massive, dust-filled bricks.
Which, coincidently, is what state my copies of Eragon and Eldest are in xD

Oh, and those twelve year olds don't know what they're missing out on. Do you know how many times I laughed at the line; '"Alas," said Legolas,'? Yes, I know. I am sad =)

You have a point. Many people (and I am not specifying by saying 'twelve-year-olds') nowadays have trouble reading Tolkien. Many people nowadays have trouble picking up a book with so many pages. Many people nowadays do not even possess the broad vocabulary one is required to have to read Tolkien.

But IF one doesn't have these troubles, if one doesn't fear thick books and if one has the vocabulary, there really is no comparison. Nothing can compete with Tolkien. Several writers have grasped at his cloak from below (T.S. Eliot for example - One of my favourite writers), but no one has been able to surpass Tolkien and I doubt anyone ever will. And if someone ever will, it will not be a fifteen-year-old. It is simply not possible.

I see it this way: Many kids may enjoy Paolini, they may injoy the excitement and the dragons fighting and the quest for glory, but they will never know the pleasure that I experience when I look up a phrase in Tolkien's books and find it, or the sheer bliss that I feel when I read through Ainulindale and Valaquenta.

They will never know, so we cannot judge them upon it.

-xx- Nika

PS: I am curious for the third book though - I wish to see what else he has copied.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:58 pm
stare

I was six when I first read Tolkien. Six.

And I gloried in it.

When I was twelve, I wouldn't touch Paolini's midden heap he calls literature with a barge pole.  

Galadedrid Damodred

mystifyingbliss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:24 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
stare

And I gloried in it.

When I was twelve, I wouldn't touch Paolini's midden heap he calls literature with a barge pole.

Six? Hmm, me too. Although technically I was seven when I finished reading my first Tolkien. That was RotK. I moved onto the rest of the trilogy and The Hobbit, and I haven't stopped since.

What can I say? Tolkien owns my soul.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:49 pm

Can't say as I've heard of him.
But to be honest, I'm really not a fan
of any fantasy outside of Tolkien's world...

Khorkalba

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:20 am
I somewhat enjoyed Eregon, until I saw how much he had copied from Tolkein. The only even slightly redeeming concept in the book is the dragon riders, and frankly Anne McCaffery did an infinately better job with her Pern series.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:09 pm
Has anyone read this....?

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/shinobaka.htm  

Rudhe
Captain

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:40 pm
Rudhheniel
Has anyone read this....?

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/shinobaka.htm

Anti-Shurtugal! SQUEE! I LOVE THAT SITE! Have you read The Epistles? They're BLOODY HILARIOUS!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:43 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Fate made us sisters,....

I enjoyed the books even though I knew that he practically mixed LOTR with Star Wars and made it way more simpler. Though I am looking forward to the last book.

I see it this way.

Each book is appealed towards a different audience. Let's take me and my sister for example.

My sister enjoys dragons therefore she would be more interested in reading Eragon. Where I enjoy all different types of fantasy and don't care what really is in it. As long as I've been recommended the book by someone I know. I wouldn't have read Eragon and Eldest if a friend didn't recommend the series to me.

Seriously I love Tolkien's work though. He mastered writing perfectly though.

At least the movies were better then Eragon. Which was horrible. I wish to know how will the make the Eldest now, that they forgot a few characters XD.

....but love made us friends.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

MissusDolly

4,400 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100

-Luthien123-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:22 am
Galadedrid Damodred
stare

And I gloried in it.

I think I was about 9, four years ago. sweatdrop  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces