Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Dumb Things You've Heard Said About LotR Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:56 pm
Scruffy the janitor is a heathen!

I wish I had time to read A Clockwork Orange. sad  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:51 am
Falathrim
Scruffy the janitor is a heathen!

sad User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Khorkalba

Melian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:30 am
More work stupidity! Maybe stupidity isn't the right word, ignorance would work better. 3nodding Well, these two college age girls came through my line with some stuff, one of which happened to be this random card that said "Birthday Wishes from Gandalf". The girl made a comment about how the card was funny, and it was obviously for someone who was a fan of LOTR. The stupid part comes when they were talking among themselves about this person's screen name. Supposedly it had 'Valar' in it. They had no idea what 'Valar' was, it was hilarious, because I wanted to explain it, but it probably would have been wasted on them. So I just smile and try not to laugh. I need more actual fans to come through my line.. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:42 pm
The strangest LOTR comment that I've ever heard happened during the credits of the second Matrix movie. There were these two girls behind me and when the trailer for whichever LOTR movie was comming out at the time came on, they both squealed at Orlando Bloom's name commenting that he's so hot and yadda yadda yadda, then, the Pirates of the Carribean movie trailer came on and one of the girls remarked that it was amazing that he was able to do all that and still look great. To which, both her friends giggled, bouncing their ponytails in the way of the projector.

I'm not exactly sure what they said, so I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of it.  

EmmaDeLauro

Zurgi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:09 pm
Ah yes, aren't stupid fangirls fun to laugh at xd  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:54 pm
*cough*losers*cough*

(I mean the fangirls, not you guys sweatdrop )  

Imyavie

Zach McClure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:15 pm
EmmaDeLauro
The strangest LOTR comment that I've ever heard happened during the credits of the second Matrix movie. There were these two girls behind me and when the trailer for whichever LOTR movie was comming out at the time came on, they both squealed at Orlando Bloom's name commenting that he's so hot and yadda yadda yadda, then, the Pirates of the Carribean movie trailer came on and one of the girls remarked that it was amazing that he was able to do all that and still look great. To which, both her friends giggled, bouncing their ponytails in the way of the projector.

I'm not exactly sure what they said, so I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of it.

I had an Orlando fangirl friend squeal at the Pirates preview. Then we all went to see Pirates together, and she was converted to a Johnny Depp fangirl instead. I don't know which is worse.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:22 am
Orlando. Johnny can actually act.

At work: "What's your favorite movie?" *peer at tag* "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring? Is that good?"
"Yeah, but the books are so much better."
"Books? There are books?"

SIGH. Either that or they tell me they're too lazy to read them.  

Caeleste

MalikTous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:28 am
Funniest? My buddy who isn't much on reading when we were watching Return of the King...

R: Why do they keep that little freak Gollum around, I'd just bump him off...

Me: Smeagol's got his part to play yet, just watch...

R: What, he's the next Big Evil Guy?

Me: No...

R: We knock off gobbos (goblins) like him in D&D like bowling pins...

Me: Gollum's not a goblin... And here's Shelob... Cool!

Well, the flick started and I still had to help him keep track of the names, while I enjoy a visual replay of something I first read 30 to 40 years ago and he's seeing it the first time. Of course, he made noise when Gollum yanked the Ring, finger and all, from Frodo, while I was already expecting it... The flick finished, and I described the left-out Saruman and Grima at Bag End segment from the book to him...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:14 pm
good to see you posting! 3nodding

that would have been annoying, for me anyway, to have to keep explain it all to my friends.  

Thaxul

Zach McClure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:34 pm
I had to explain The Scouring of the Shire to a friend of mine too, and they were like, "Well it's a good thing that wasn't in. It would have been boring." <,<

At least it's not my little sister, though. She's a very sheltered 15 year old who's read the books-all the books, meaning UT and everything, and she won't shut up when there's a mistake in the movie. Example. We were watching Two Towers, with our dad who hasn't read the books, and this was his first time watching the movie. She starts at the very begining with "Oh my Gawd, like that didn't happen at all!" and proceeds to explain to everyone what really happened. It got old, very quickly.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:56 am
I have a sorta funny story.

When I went to see TTT with a few friends, the girl I was sitting next to kep nudging me whenever treebeard came on screen, and saying that he was sexy. It was funny, and better treebeard then Legolas! xp  

Thaxul

zylaxidia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:03 pm
A kind of, but not altogether hilarious thing. So in church, we were talking about Mary and my friend accidently said that she was Lazarus' brother. and then some girl commented, "Well Mary CAN be a guy's name, I mean, in lord of the rings, theres this short dude called Mary and his friend Pippin and they were hott!"
stare stressed

EDIT: And another one!

xXx_Ev!l_Ang3l_xXx
zylaxidia
English and Chinese fluently, Japanese (enough to live by, but its not fluent), and a bit of Spanish and French. I tried to learn German, but it didn't work out. sweatdrop Oh. and some Elvish. yay for Lord of the Rings and Tolkien who WROTE THE BOOKS.

teach me elvish language i want to know...i lurv legolas.pwease tell me o.O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:01 am
Spellings of names worked better in the books... Most people don't bother with the credits (with correct name spellings like 'Meriadoc' or 'Merry') at the end of the flick.

I think JRRT would have appreciated Jackson's cinematic release of his epic, but also would have complained about the missing bits (to the tune of making it either 6 - no, 8, including Hobbit - actual cinema segments (four if they're willing to make them five hour packages with a mid-point intermission).

My enjoyment remains based on a few JRRT sketches in the original books, the original artwork from the early D&D, MERP, and RQ game releases, and a few traces of animated cinema releases of JRRT-based material.  

MalikTous

Laurewyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:13 pm
Ah... Something I heard in the theatres while watching TTT

Gollum: She could do it...
Weird-girl-next-to-me: Omigawd! I bet you it's that one Galdriel elf lady! I knew she was evil!!!
[[Yes, she said it just like that.]]
I had to restrain myself. >.<  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas